Author Topic: Can't Find Server  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Fox

• Posty McPostington
  • RIP Fox Sticking-Tongue out Profile Pic- 2007-2017
    • View Profile
Can't Find Server
« on: March 17, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
Hi, for some reason I can't seem to access the forum from my computer, with Safari or Firefox.  My Internet connection is fine, and I can get on from my phone, so I have no idea what the problem is.
Pew pew PEW!

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
Re: Can't Find Server
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 07:52:33 PM »
Just my guess, but I think it's all the traffic being generated with the sample chapters and Changes out soon.  I've been getting that a lot the past couple weeks.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 07:53:46 PM »
Your computer might have an outdated name service cache that got generated during a period of time when the DNS for the site was on the fritz. I forget how that's fixed, aside from reboots, cache-flushing, the usual.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 08:34:31 PM »
Athelina had the same issue last Thursday (?). She went through the cleaning of history, cache, reboot, closing any multiple open applications and using a direct IP address etc. and no go.... she wasn't able to get on from any computer in her house. The consensus was a DNS error, but who knows?
It seemed odd, but the gremlins apparently had her in their sights.

Are there any other tricks that might help?
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline Fox

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 08:35:31 PM »
I emptied the cache, updated Safari, and restarted my computer, but it doesn't seem to have helped. :(
Anyone have any other ideas? :-\
Pew pew PEW!

Offline mousie

• Participant
  • chubby little hopping mousie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 10:07:42 PM »
Google chrome pulls up a saved page--I have to sign in again, but I can get the board.  It usually happens on Tuesday and Wednesday (I wonder why), everything's fine on Thursday.

Offline Athelina

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 11:42:05 PM »
Yeah, mine worked for a day after two days without access to the site.  Neither firefox nor IE would access the site from any computer in my house.  Couldn't get on the site again this week until this evening.  It's weird and slightly annoying but at least it's spring now so I can go outside instead.  I hope your issue fixes itself too Fox.

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 11:52:42 PM »
I also was wondering why the IP address that came up on a search wasn't right. Might this be related? If you use an IP search it has the addresses for both the main site and the forum, but when you use them they don't work. Is it possible for an old IP to compete with a new one? *ponders*
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline Fox

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 03:30:11 AM »
Took care of it!  In your face glitch! :D
Pew pew PEW!