Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 355251 times)

Praeceps

Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #255 on: October 04, 2009, 09:09:58 PM »
Vignette should probably be labelled as after Death Masks since Bob mentions Harry is a "foe of the footsoldiers of Hell" which likely is talking about the Denarians.

Offline Chuck Chuck Razool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 04, 2009, 10:02:33 PM »
1959 (≈41 BSF) Rate of pay for wardens is set.
Quote from: Proven Guilty: Chapter 5
“I thought you were getting another paycheck now.”

I sighed. “Yeah. But the rate of pay was set in 1959, and the Council hasn’t given it a cost-of-living increase since. I think it comes up for review in a few more years.”

“Wow. That’s even slower than City Hall.”
"There's a voice that comes from everywhere, and it's not saying anything."

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 04, 2009, 10:03:35 PM »
Vignette should probably be labelled as after Death Masks since Bob mentions Harry is a "foe of the footsoldiers of Hell" which likely is talking about the Denarians.

...except that he encounters a minor soldier of Hell in FM in a situation where they have clearly already had previous dealings, so this is not definitive.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 15, 2009, 04:42:31 AM »
To fill in some early history from TC:

The Red king is about 4000 years old, making his birth/rebirth at around 3000 bc

The White Council moved their headquarters to Edinburgh in the "just under five hundred years" ago, putting it in the mid 1500's

This ones a bit more shaky without more JB clarification, but:
The White Council has been around since pre-roman times, which based on google research puts it before 753 bc if we take pre-roman as the Roman Republic/  Before that there was a roman kingdom, but it was a province of the Etruscans before that (founded most likely around 800bc but maybe as early as 1000 bc as a small trading settlement).   The problem is that we know its older than that, but not how much older, unless we want to use the beginning of the Iron Age as the cutoff, which would have been about 1200 bc in that part of the world. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline laura118b

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 15, 2009, 04:15:47 PM »

This ones a bit more shaky without more JB clarification, but:
The White Council has been around since pre-roman times, which based on google research puts it before 753 bc if we take pre-roman as the Roman Republic/  Before that there was a roman kingdom, but it was a province of the Etruscans before that (founded most likely around 800bc but maybe as early as 1000 bc as a small trading settlement).   The problem is that we know its older than that, but not how much older, unless we want to use the beginning of the Iron Age as the cutoff, which would have been about 1200 bc in that part of the world. 
Hum, I wonder if it's worth noting that the White Council is pre-roman at a time when that was Etruscan, and the White Court speaks Etruscan?  Like did the White Council form in reaction to the White Court?
This might need it's own little thread....

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 15, 2009, 04:24:17 PM »
Hum, I wonder if it's worth noting that the White Council is pre-roman at a time when that was Etruscan, and the White Court speaks Etruscan?  Like did the White Council form in reaction to the White Court?
This might need it's own little thread....
ya, I thought that was interesting too...
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline telkesh

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 16, 2009, 07:29:48 AM »
The Red king is about 4000 years old, making his birth/rebirth at around 3000 bc

Sure you don't mean 2000bc?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 18, 2009, 04:27:45 AM »
Sure you don't mean 2000bc?
...*facepalm*   What is this math you speak of?  If ida wanted schooling ida gone to school.  :P
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 05, 2009, 08:42:15 PM »
Question about harry's summoning circle that came up in the Book club:

The first one was copper, went to silver after DM, was still silver as of SmF, but was "pure copper" in TC.  Typo or deep hidden meaning/unexplained events?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 08, 2009, 03:36:58 AM »
Not that it was needed, but I've just found absolute proof that Heorot comes before SmF.

Harry calls Gard Sigrun when she's patching herself up.

Offline library lasciel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 13, 2009, 03:34:41 AM »
“I thought you were getting another paycheck now.”

I sighed. “Yeah. But the rate of pay was set in 1959, and the Council hasn’t given it a cost-of-living increase since. I think it comes up for review in a few more years.”

“Wow. That’s even slower than City Hall.”

Sadly, Harry reveals that he was lying his ass off a few pages later when he goes downstairs and it's the big reveal of Little Chicago.  He's been using most of his money on getting all the pewter casts made of all the buildings in the city.  He even makes some smart-ass comment about them actually not paying too badly for being out-of-touch wizards and all.

Which, actually, makes me think - Little Chicago seems important enough to merit an entry... We know Harry's been working on it for a good while when we first see it - I don't have the text to hand (mea culpa), but it ought to be fairly clear when he started it.

What do you think?

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 13, 2009, 03:39:04 AM »
Which, actually, makes me think - Little Chicago seems important enough to merit an entry... We know Harry's been working on it for a good while when we first see it - I don't have the text to hand (mea culpa), but it ought to be fairly clear when he started it.

Well, we know his first Warden paycheque was in DB, so it kind of has to start between DB and PG.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 22, 2009, 12:30:07 AM »
Re: Vignette.

Harry refers to Murph as Lieutenant Murphy, putting it before PG. Also probably before Harry let Murphy fully into the loop, solidifying their friendship because of the formal way he refers to her.

Offline Flintlock

• Conversationalist
  • Black Council Intern
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 06, 2009, 02:41:06 PM »
How old is Molly in 'Turn Coat'?
Proxima est Mors

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper