Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 355294 times)

Offline Sharlee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #630 on: July 21, 2014, 06:35:16 PM »
Just for laughs:

4 ASF, Oktoberfest -- Waldo Butters loses the polka Battle of the Bands to the Jolly Rogers.

Offline Sharlee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 30, 2014, 10:54:58 PM »
- Charity's talent first showed just before her 16th birthday.  (PG)

- Harry's own magic first manifested in the spring (also PG)

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:46:29 AM by Sharlee »

Offline Sharlee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 01, 2014, 06:54:57 PM »
- Checked the timeline, and it looks like Mr. Beckitt (do we know his first name?) must have gotten killed in prison very soon after he was arrested.  Storm Front took place in March of year 0, White Night in May of year 7, and Murphy claimed he'd been dead for "nearly seven years" in WN.

Could explain why Helen only did five years ("nickel in the pen"- Harry in WN), if her husband died in detention before their court trials were complete and her lawyer shifted most of the blame for the drug charges onto him and Sells.  (Helen's year of release may rate a mention.)

- Harry first developed his tracking spell at age 14, because he kept losing his house keys.

- Immediately after Proven Guilty, Mouse causes some property damage at the vet's when a paperwork snafu nearly got him neutered rather than his van-injured shoulder X-rayed.

- Simultaneous with the events of White Night, Ebenezar and the senior Wardens spend a few days battling a powerful rakshasa and its minions in India.

- Kincaid gives Murphy the P90 some time during the year before White Night.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 07:24:30 PM by Sharlee »

Offline Sharlee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 13, 2014, 05:29:28 PM »
- In Cold Days, Harry's "physical therapy" began on August 15th, 77 days before October 30th when Mab sent Cat Sith to prepare him for his midnight birthday party.

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 13, 2014, 06:04:19 PM »
Correcting an error.

in the Timeline War Cry is listed as 6 ASF, March

In Issue one, Harry says that it's been 4 months since Yoshimo broke her leg. That sets War Cry in February 6 ASF.

War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #635 on: August 13, 2014, 10:24:44 PM »
Correcting an error.

In Issue one, Harry says that it's been 4 months since Yoshimo broke her leg. That sets War Cry in February 6 ASF.

*headdesk*

WHY would they change that? Even with wizard healing, 5 months was pushing it in terms of credibility for Yukie's level of mobility. Siiiiiiigh.

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 13, 2014, 10:48:59 PM »
*headdesk*

WHY would they change that? Even with wizard healing, 5 months was pushing it in terms of credibility for Yukie's level of mobility. Siiiiiiigh.

Why would they have Issue Three begin with a scene from 3291 B.C. Babylonia? About 1500 years before it existed?
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 18, 2014, 12:47:59 AM »
*headdesk*

Actually, if War Cry takes place around Thomas' Birthday, it would explain why it took Harry two years to finally decide to give his brother a birthday present. They would have been a little busy to do it earlier.

Can't say anything about the Wizard healing issue though.
War Cry -

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 18, 2014, 01:01:57 PM »
Well, Yoshimo was seen manipulating trees to fight in DB.  That strikes me as the sort of Life and/or Water magic style that could have some Healing powers in the mix, kind of like some shapeshifters get if by a different mechanism.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 18, 2014, 02:30:56 PM »
If it was a simple fracture, 4 months is not unheard of.
War Cry -

Offline draxius

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files short-form timeline, with calculator
« Reply #640 on: August 23, 2014, 02:51:52 AM »
Correcting an error.

Dead Beat is at the very end of October (29th - 31st). Precisely 4 months would put us into the end of February/beginning of March, depending on the day of the break and whether or not it's a leap year... so it's hard to get precision on exactly when Jim is placing this.
Dresden Files short-form timeline, with calculator: http://draxius.com/dresden/timeline.html

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 23, 2014, 03:17:30 AM »
Dead Beat is at the very end of October (29th - 31st). Precisely 4 months would put us into the end of February/beginning of March, depending on the day of the break and whether or not it's a leap year... so it's hard to get precision on exactly when Jim is placing this.

True, it could  have been the first week of March. Though that is still verging on month 5.
War Cry -

Offline draxius

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files short-form timeline, with calculator
« Reply #642 on: August 25, 2014, 05:57:52 PM »
True, it could  have been the first week of March. Though that is still verging on month 5.

Can't argue there - time is tricky. I haven't read it yet, but I get the feeling that "February and/or March" may end up being the appropriate end-point for it. Hopefully, we'll have a better answer by the end of War Cry.

That said, I've found that quotes from dialogue make things tenuous to pin down - especially with the graphic novels. Take Ghoul Goblin for example. Jim refers to the events of Fool Moon as occurring "only weeks" prior in Issue #1, while in Issue #2, it's "several months" (this is also indicated in the synopsis text at the beginning of the issues/HC). I'm inclined to go with the one in the synopsis, as people's recollection of time is fallible (doubly so when you're dealing with a fictional character's recollection of time), whereas narrative text should theoretically be more reliable.
Dresden Files short-form timeline, with calculator: http://draxius.com/dresden/timeline.html

Offline sagan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 31, 2014, 09:45:29 PM »
Book 16 - Peace Talks will be set about three months after Skin Game, according to Jim at Dragoncon 2014, it will be Summer which makes sense since SG was set in Late February.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #644 on: August 31, 2014, 10:57:32 PM »
Technically late May is still spring. I shall have to notify him of this, when betadom begins. :D