Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 355256 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #600 on: May 31, 2014, 03:42:30 AM »
I know I'm being picky here, but ... you have SG in February.  Typically the ice on the Great Lakes doesn't start breaking up until March. 

"Your friends have been trying to visit you for several weeks, but the lake ice has held unusually long this year. Alas.”

Butcher, Jim (2014-05-27). Skin Game: A Novel of the Dresden Files (p. 9). Penguin Group US. Kindle Edition.

This year, they brought in an Ice Breaker to break the ice.  I could totally see the ice being a problem until late March or early April if Mab is taking a hand in it.

It specifically says "February" elsewhere in the book, alas.

And Maggie was over a hundred when her boys were born.

Offline lilylis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: May 31, 2014, 05:30:06 AM »

Thanks for the info.

Let's see if I understand the timeline between Changes and Skin Games.

GS happend 6 months after Changes. Then Cold Days happend 3 months after that.
So if Cold Days happened at the end of October, going backwords, Ghost Story happened somewhere at the end of July and Changes near the end of February all in the same year???

Going forward from Cold Days. Harry hasn't seen Molly in more than a year and its February in Chicago (although someone is confused about what weather is like in Chicago area in February) ....so Skin Games is about a year and 4 months later.

Also, if Magaret Gwendolyn LeFae was about 100 when she had her kids....isn't that a bit of a stretch.... I understood wizards live along time but they still age and get older...at least in looks.....is this a conundrum or is it that in wizard biology...turning 100 is like mortals turning 30.

"I have a monster under my bed, and it's Mouse.…There was another one there but me and Mouse slayerized it. --Maggie Dresden

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 31, 2014, 05:41:14 AM »
Thanks for the info.

So if Cold Days happened at the end of October, going backwords, Ghost Story happened somewhere at the end of July and Changes near the end of February all in the same year???

Going forward from Cold Days. Harry hasn't seen Molly in more than a year and its February in Chicago (although someone is confused about what weather is like in Chicago area in February) ....so Skin Games is about a year and 4 months later.

Also, if Magaret Gwendolyn LeFae was about 100 when she had her kids....isn't that a bit of a stretch.... I understood wizards live along time but they still age and get older...at least in looks.....is this a conundrum or is it that in wizard biology...turning 100 is like mortals turning 30.

A few explanations.

Margaret spend a lot of time in the nevernever so her body did not go through all those years, she was physically younger than chronologically.

Different wizards might, depending on their talent and use of magic, experience ageing differently. We have only a limited data set.

Margaret spend a lot of time with Lea, she might have been in the process of becoming something else.....

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #603 on: May 31, 2014, 05:54:29 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Not quite.  Changes and Cold Days take place about a year apart, with Ghost Story at the approximate midway point.  See the first posts on this thread:

11 ASF, October: Changes
And 45 minutes later: Aftermath, a novelette from Murphy's POV, published exclusively in Side Jobs.

12 ASF, May 9th: Ghost Story

12 ASF, September: Bombshells, the Molly-POV story from Dangerous Women.

12 ASF, October 31: Cold Days

14 ASF, late February: Skin Game

Jim recently commented on the nature of wizard aging, hinting that female wizards can "cheat" the usual limitations on fertility.  He didn't comment further.  Curious!

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: May 31, 2014, 05:58:31 AM »
Jim recently commented on the nature of wizard aging, hinting that female wizards can "cheat" the usual limitations on fertility.  He didn't comment further.  Curious!

*Points at the fountain of youth*
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #605 on: May 31, 2014, 06:00:59 AM »
*Points at the fountain of youth*

*points at the Fountains of Wayne*

Harry's Mom has got it goin' on.

Offline lilylis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 31, 2014, 07:38:55 AM »
A few explanations.

Margaret spend a lot of time in the nevernever so her body did not go through all those years, she was physically younger than chronologically.

Different wizards might, depending on their talent and use of magic, experience ageing differently. We have only a limited data set.

Margaret spend a lot of time with Lea, she might have been in the process of becoming something else.....
thanks...makes sense
"I have a monster under my bed, and it's Mouse.…There was another one there but me and Mouse slayerized it. --Maggie Dresden

Offline lilylis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 31, 2014, 08:06:35 AM »
Not quite.  Changes and Cold Days take place about a year apart, with Ghost Story at the approximate midway point.  See the first posts on this thread:

11 ASF, October: Changes
And 45 minutes later: Aftermath, a novelette from Murphy's POV, published exclusively in Side Jobs.

12 ASF, May 9th: Ghost Story

12 ASF, September: Bombshells, the Molly-POV story from Dangerous Women.

12 ASF, October 31: Cold Days

14 ASF, late February: Skin Game

I did try to look at your timeline. looks like you put a lot of hard work into it....but it twists my head in knots especially at this time of night.

Is May 9th given as a date in Ghost Story? I'm too tired to look, so I'll assume it was a given.

The only bit I remember is Harry being told he'd been 'dead' for 6 months before achieving ghostly consciousness. Later in Cold Days, he told Thomas he was in a coma and after he awoke had about 11 weeks of physical therapy. If seemed he awoke from his coma at the end of Ghost Story... so I figured he lingered a couple more weeks before Mab's Physical theraphy started giving him 4 months...so between Changes and Cold Days less than a year. Although Cold Days ends on Oct 31st or rather Nov 1st after dawn, it starts before that...about 11 weeks prior.

What indicates Changes takes place in October, I don't recall a date being given? Is it just because the ritual needed to a certain date as well as a particular place of power closing on midnight?

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #608 on: May 31, 2014, 03:36:11 PM »
From Changes, chapter 18:
She wore a soft blue nightgown and a shawl to ward against the October chill in the night, and her bright blue eyes flicked around alertly.
Chapter 28:
I felt myself grinning fiercely as he vanished through the broken window and into the cool air of the October night.
And Chapter 33:
“Yes, my liege!” Toot said. He brandished his sword with a flourish, sheathed it, and zipped straight up into the October sky.

And from chapter 4 of Ghost Story:
Sir Stuart pursed his lips. “It seems to me that if your demise was to leave someone vulnerable, something would have happened to them already. It’s been six months, after all.”
I felt my jaw drop open. “W-what? Six months?”
The ghost nodded. “Today is the ninth of May, to be precise.”

As for Cold Days, Harry spends a substantial length of time achieving the necessary consciousness to remember a conversation.  There's a big gap between waking up on Demonreach in the final moment of Ghost Story and the first scene of Cold Days:
“You do that every day.  Talk before you’ve gotten anything down your throat.  Drink.”
I did.  Campbell’s.  And it was awesome.  I flashed on a sudden memory, of being sick when I was very young.  I couldn’t remember where we’d been, but my dad had made me chicken noodle soup.  It was the same.
“I think… I remember some of it,” I said, after several sips.  “Your name is… Sarah?”  She frowned, but I shook my head before she could speak.  “No, wait.  Sarissa.  Your name is Sarissa.”
She lifted both eyebrows and smiled.  “That’s a first.  It looks like you’re finally coming back into focus.”

The exact length of time can be flexible, as it takes place in the Nevernever, which doesn't have to have a 1:1 correlation with the mortal world.

Offline lilylis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 31, 2014, 05:48:52 PM »
From Changes, chapter 18:Chapter 28:And Chapter 33:
And from chapter 4 of Ghost Story:
As for Cold Days, Harry spends a substantial length of time achieving the necessary consciousness to remember a conversation.  There's a big gap between waking up on Demonreach in the final moment of Ghost Story and the first scene of Cold Days:
The exact length of time can be flexible, as it takes place in the Nevernever, which doesn't have to have a 1:1 correlation with the mortal world.
thanks. One reference from each book is enough.  :)
I've got to get these books downloaded on a device with a search function.

I had remembered it was snowing in Ghost Story not that it was May.  Alas, GS was one of 2 least fav Dresden Books, so I've only read it cover to cover once. I forgot Mab hanging out at Demonreach caused the snow in May.
So for about a year...Winter Queen, Winter Knight, & Winter Lady pretty much sat on the bench. I guess Lea was very busy & not just mentoring Molly.

Thanks I understand this part of the timeline better.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 31, 2014, 10:32:10 PM »

Your right, my bad.  Still February is NOT ice hanging in there late.  Thanks Pris.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #611 on: June 02, 2014, 03:15:35 PM »
Do we know when Harry and Michael met?  (Is there a short story crammed somewhere odd that I've missed?)
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #612 on: June 02, 2014, 03:22:45 PM »
Do we know when Harry and Michael met?  (Is there a short story crammed somewhere odd that I've missed?)

This is perhaps one of the most frequently-asked questions of Jim.  No, their meeting isn't chronicled in any book or story yet.  Hopefully, he'll take pity on us all eventually, or show mercy on himself and just write it to stop the questions. :D

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #613 on: June 02, 2014, 04:20:00 PM »
Think of the Timeline, Jim.  We need it to be complete.  ;-)
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 02, 2014, 04:56:21 PM »
Think of the Timeline, Jim.  We need it to be complete.  ;-)
Wait for the time travel book and then the whole time line will be an incomprehensible mess.  ;D
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]