Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 355284 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #465 on: February 18, 2012, 02:36:29 AM »
Conceivably another Kiva support project if the pricing could be kept in an accessible range? Though 'Cellie might have difficulty carving enough time away from other needs this year.

The other part of it is that as soon as the next book comes out it will become outdated. 
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #466 on: February 18, 2012, 07:46:41 AM »
The other part of it is that as soon as the next book comes out it will become outdated. 

Yup.  A neat idea, but it's just not feasible.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 18, 2012, 01:56:57 PM »
A very web/coding savvy person (something I'm not, I haven't even programmed a micro controller in 5 years.) might be able to code something purty up as a webpage, and then that could have a "printable version" I guess...

I'm thinking some kind of object that parses a cut and paste of Priscellies posts.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 22, 2012, 04:21:01 PM »
{perks ears}

Wasn't there someone with a link to timeline program on the forums a while back?  Maybe even somewhere earlier in this thread? 

Google-Fu:

I've had a little spare time, and i stumbled upon a really nice Timeline Tool, so i gave it a go.

It's still in its early stages, so there may be mistakes.

The Blue Lines over the individual events usually show the spread for those events that can not be exactly placed.
In some few cases they show the actual duration of the event.

This Timeline is based on the assumption that 0 ASF ist the year 2000.

have fun.

http://www.musterpuffer.de/JB/df/dftime.html

Looks like this only gets to Turn Coat, though adding the last few books seems straightforward.  Not sure how you'd print the whole thing out.  It's a little long.  Also, I would like some sort of zoom-to-event function.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:23:11 PM by knnn »
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline unsurmountable

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 24, 2012, 03:25:23 PM »
Also, I would like some sort of zoom-to-event function.

Looking at the API and seeing that it's open source it seems like its feasible to add whatever you want, worst case scenario you just add standard links below the rendered timeline that link to specific areas.

I'm tempted to get into it but am too busy right now with full time work and school plus 4 kids.
DV Unsurmountable v1.0 YR3 FM1.5 BK++ RP JB TH+ WG+(++) CL++ SW BC MC+(++)(--) SH[Molly+++++, Elaine+++, Murphy++, Lara+, Maeve++++, !Mavra------] !Molly<->Mab--------- LC->FutureHarry+++++

Dresden Files Geek Code

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 26, 2012, 03:20:17 PM »
Timeline? Time is not a line, time is a circle, that is why clocks are round.
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 27, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »
Looking at the API and seeing that it's open source it seems like its feasible to add whatever you want, worst case scenario you just add standard links below the rendered timeline that link to specific areas.

I'm tempted to get into it but am too busy right now with full time work and school plus 4 kids.

Hmmm.... I didn't realize it's open-source.  I may take a look at enhancing it. 
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

dimpwnc

« Reply #472 on: March 07, 2012, 05:34:53 AM »
When did Ramirez become an apprentice?  According to him in Dead Beat,
A lot of them, like me, were apprentices when you were first tried after Justin DuMorne's death.  A lot of them are still apprentices.
So if Harry was tried at the age of 16, Ramirez would be 6yrs old, right?  Isn't that a little early to be apprenticed, or does the apprenticeship typically start before the wizards actually manifest magic?

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #473 on: March 07, 2012, 05:52:57 AM »
When did Ramirez become an apprentice?  According to him in Dead Beat, So if Harry was tried at the age of 16, Ramirez would be 6yrs old, right?  Isn't that a little early to be apprenticed, or does the apprenticeship typically start before the wizards actually manifest magic?

The "trial" in question is Harry's trial in Summer Knight.  He's a normal age!

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 07, 2012, 11:47:51 AM »
When did Ramirez become an apprentice?  According to him in Dead Beat,

A lot of them, like me, were apprentices when you were first tried after Justin DuMorne's death.  A lot of them are still apprentices.

So if Harry was tried at the age of 16, Ramirez would be 6yrs old, right?  Isn't that a little early to be apprenticed, or does the apprenticeship typically start before the wizards actually manifest magic?

I agree that this would make him an apprentice before the series started, but that is probably because of a missque on Jim's part.  He has since said that Ramirez was the snickering apprentice in the SK trial, adjusting the trail mentioned in DB to that one. 

She ain't called the Goddess for nothin
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Oirthir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: March 20, 2012, 06:01:47 PM »
entirely possible that Ramirez has not yet started to show his age too.  The normal apprenticeship of a White Council Wizard could be something like 20 or 30 years long for all we know, maybe modified by the amount of go juice the apprentice has to throw around.

Offline DARTHYAM

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 21, 2012, 07:19:20 PM »
To expand on an earlier timeline attempt

October 22 2011: Maggie abducted

October 23: Changes begins
October 24: Susan and Harry meet-to when Harry contacts Ivy and gets to meet Marcone
OCtober 25: Up to Harry collapsing unconcious
OCtober 26:Up to first arrival at Chichen Itza
October 27 2011:Final battle at Chichen Itza, Harry dies. Maggie rescued. Arianna and father and Court die. I say this based on the 6 months, and if it was a week earlier they may as well have said 7 months

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #477 on: May 21, 2012, 07:23:47 PM »
To expand on an earlier timeline attempt

October 22 2011: Maggie abducted

October 23: Changes begins
October 24: Susan and Harry meet-to when Harry contacts Ivy and gets to meet Marcone
OCtober 25: Up to Harry collapsing unconcious
OCtober 26:Up to first arrival at Chichen Itza
October 27 2011:Final battle at Chichen Itza, Harry dies. Maggie rescued. Arianna and father and Court die. I say this based on the 6 months, and if it was a week earlier they may as well have said 7 months

Where are you getting these precise dates?

Offline DARTHYAM

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 21, 2012, 07:29:27 PM »
I guessed that the book started on a Sunday but honestly I guessed based on that it would take place after october 9th and 8 years after deathmasks

Offline Behemoth

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 08, 2012, 07:36:34 PM »
I just made this account to ask whether it's a mistake in just my books or in all the books, because I remember when I read it recently, in book 4 (Summer Night) McCoy called the Merlin Alfred, but in every book after that it says his name is Arthur. And then I noticed in this timeline he was also referred to as Alfred, so my question is what's his name, and whether anyone else noticed this or if it's just my version of the books? (Bear in mind that they're in e-book format)