Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 355273 times)

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #435 on: July 27, 2011, 07:54:48 PM »
Ok this observation by Tempus Corvus absolutely rocks, and I wanted to make sure it got into this topic.

Prisc, I don't remember getting an exact date from the book, what's your source for GS starting on May 9th?

I'm not Priscellie, but I can answer. Stu tells Harry straight out in Chapter 4 that the date is May 9th. He also says that it's been more than six months since Harry died.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 27, 2011, 07:57:30 PM »
I'm not Priscellie, but I can answer. Stu tells Harry straight out in Chapter 4 that the date is May 9th. He also says that it's been more than six months since Harry died.

Bah, so I just didn't remember that specific.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline jffdougan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 28, 2011, 02:11:21 AM »
Hmm... this may've already been asked elsewhere, but I wanted to see if anyone could answer this for me.

So I was bad, and picked up a copy of Naked City at my local bookstore. Jim says his short in it, "Curses", takes place between Small Favor and Turn Coat. However, during the events of "Curses", Harry is introduced as
(click to show/hide)
(among other things. However, wouldn't that have ended when Harry
(click to show/hide)
near the end of the book? Or is he still considered the former even after the latter happened? o_O

Is this dating from an interview or something else? I checked it out from my library last week, and was wracking my brain trying to figure out the timing of the story, with no internal clues that I could spot.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 28, 2011, 11:55:25 AM »
Is this dating from an interview or something else? I checked it out from my library last week, and was wracking my brain trying to figure out the timing of the story, with no internal clues that I could spot.

I believe it's WoP (Priscellie based off of her convo's with Jim).  She mentioned the timing in the official anouncement.  There is some major, very constructive discussion about it around page 26 of this topic as well.

Egads, checking for what she might have said about this showed me a project she suggested I take up for this thread back in May that somehow slipped by me.  I'll venture to say that my compilation of the Amazon.com WoJ's around that time might make up for the lapse though :P

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 12:09:48 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 28, 2011, 12:08:33 PM »
Fixed the stuff about Vlad Drakul and tweaked Charity's birth.  Also added the French and Indian War.  If you haven't already, can someone put together a list of WoJ stuff Jim has said happened during that time?  It's kind of a magnet date for awesome, apparently!

Wow, dunno how this slipped by me Priscellie.  Here goes:

2009 Lexington signing:
Q:  Will we ever find out more about the Black Cats, or about Eb’s early years?
A:  He’s considered writing a story in the Dresdenverse about the American-Indian war, when Eb and the Merlin were both young punks.
2009 Independence signing:
Q:  How old is Eb?
A:  Eb is over 300 years old.  He and Merlin have known each other for a very long time.  They fought on opposite sides in the French & Indian war.
[/snip]
If I ever do any major work (IE, novels) from alternate characters, I probably could not set them in the time period of the Dresden Files.  I have several neat ideas, and the one that appeals to me the most is writing the French and Indian war years from the viewpoint of a young Ebenezar McCoy and his associates.  The first duel between Eb and Listens-to-Wind is pretty epic in my head. :)
[/snip]

Interesting snippet that could be placed into the timeline
2010 RAFO interview
All the wizards in The Dresden Files seem to have their own personal motif and way of channelling energy. What's the oddest and/or most entertaining motif you've come up with?
My favorite is probably from an unpublished short story I wrote, set in the Dresden Files universe, but during the Battle of the Bulge. The Nazis had a sorcerer operating out of an old monastery, and the White Council dispatched the Belgian wizard, Klaus the Toymaker. Klaus's magic is all based around using children's toys as focii. My favorite moment was when he killed a couple of SS-summoned demons with a windup wooden duck.

timeline summary for that snippet:
~1944-1955 Klaus the Toymaker defeats Nazi sorcerer during the Battle of the Bulge.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #440 on: July 28, 2011, 12:19:32 PM »
Hmm... this may've already been asked elsewhere, but I wanted to see if anyone could answer this for me.

So I was bad, and picked up a copy of Naked City at my local bookstore. Jim says his short in it, "Curses", takes place between Small Favor and Turn Coat. However, during the events of "Curses", Harry is introduced as
(click to show/hide)
(among other things. However, wouldn't that have ended when Harry
(click to show/hide)
near the end of the book? Or is he still considered the former even after the latter happened? o_O

The title came with the freebie.  Here's the text of Lily bestowing the award to Morgan:

“I name thee friend and esquire to the Summer Court, Warden Morgan. An you find yourself in peril near the realm of the Sidhe, once, and once only, you need but touch this device and call aloud upon Titania for aid.”

The favor was a bonus, like getting a swimming pool filled with pixie sticks after being knighted.  You're still a knight after you and your friends eat all the pixie sticks.

Wow, dunno how this slipped by me Priscellie.  Here goes:

*flails at your awesomeness*

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 28, 2011, 01:28:43 PM »
I think Jim touched on the French and Indian war again at KC the other day.  I'll be extracting stuff from it later when it gets fully posted on youtube or when I post the audio that laura118b gave me.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #442 on: July 28, 2011, 01:35:35 PM »
I think Jim touched on the French and Indian war again at KC the other day.  I'll be extracting stuff from it later when it gets fully posted on youtube or when I post the audio that laura118b gave me.

About 45 minutes' worth of video was posted to YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/user/harle1229

I'm delighted to hear that someone else may have gotten the complete Q&A session, though!

Offline Chuck Chuck Razool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 29, 2011, 12:43:47 AM »
I think the French/Indian war story IS going to come out. In chapter 41 of ghost story (probably page one of the chapter in the physical book, it's 2 pages in on my phone's kindle copy.) It mentions that Corpsetaker was on the white council before the French and Indian war. and as we know, Jim is too lazy to waste time writing something that isn't going anywhere. 
"There's a voice that comes from everywhere, and it's not saying anything."

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 30, 2011, 03:36:01 AM »
Got some info on the timing of Margret's Mom's death, and another reference to the F&I war.

I recorded the audio from Mr. Butcher's Beavercreek signing, and I am uploading it presently. There weren't too many earth-shattering details revealed (as per usual), but there were some good quotes and interesting stories.

Highlights (may be paraphrased, some I am writing down from memory):
[/snip]
Q: "Are we ever going to meet Margaret LeFey's Mother?"
A: "She was a mortal, and died somewhere around 1810. We'd only meet her if we go back to the French and Indian War [referencing his earlier statement that he has considered writing books from back during the French and Indian War"
[/snip]
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 30, 2011, 06:02:49 AM »
Got some info on the timing of Margret's Mom's death, and another reference to the F&I war.

So, if we assume 1810 as the last year Maggie LeFay could have been born, and sometime around 1970 or so as the year she died, then Maggie LeFay was, at minimum, 160 years old at the time of her death. She could've been as much as 80 or 90 years older than that, but she couldn't have been any younger.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 30, 2011, 11:52:45 AM »
So, if we assume 1810 as the last year Maggie LeFay could have been born, and sometime around 1970 or so as the year she died, then Maggie LeFay was, at minimum, 160 years old at the time of her death. She could've been as much as 80 or 90 years older than that, but she couldn't have been any younger.

Jim says that she coulda aged quickly in the NN too, or vice versa.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 11:54:54 AM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline magic penguin

• Posty McPostington
  • what goes around come around
    • View Profile
    • www.google.com/
« Reply #447 on: August 01, 2011, 06:35:39 PM »
As much as i think the French & Indian war would make a nice story with EB.  I would much rather learn how & when Harry met Michael... THAT has to be much more interesting. We know only that they mean when Molly was a kid.I want to know more....
"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good" Harry Dresden- White Night.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 11, 2011, 11:59:21 AM »
The timeline has bob in kemmler's possesion for only 40 years. GS says about a century's worth of memories. Even assuming justin carried on in the blue eyed tradition the time is significantly short.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:00:52 PM by polkaneverdies »

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #449 on: August 11, 2011, 01:53:58 PM »
40 years in linear time, sure.  Time travels at different speeds in the Nevernever.  And Bob could have culled dangerous info from before Kemmler's acquisition, too.  It adds up to a century pretty easily!