Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 355276 times)

Offline LogicMouseLives

• Posty McPostington
  • Hop on the logic train!
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #375 on: June 19, 2011, 08:27:47 PM »
Spoilers from the short story Curses- the preview of the first fifth is on Amazon....

(click to show/hide)
(setting it between ?? and Changes)

According to Priscillie's announcement of the book it's in, Naked City, "Curses" occurs between Small Favor and Turn Coat. So there's that.

LML
GENERATION 25: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

DV LogicMouseLives v1.1 YR4.5FR4 BK++++ JB+ TH(+++) WG CL BC- SH [Murphy+++ Molly--] RP++ MC----FF++++

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 21, 2011, 01:52:47 AM »
Isn't the use of 'gift' as a verb just...archaic?
(circa 1550's, according to Merriam-Webster.....)

Yep, and some of us want to have archaic and eat it.

The way that feels right to me is that a box of chocolates is something you give someone, a barony is something you gift someone with. Different scales.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #377 on: June 21, 2011, 02:29:32 AM »
Spoilers from the short story Curses- the preview of the first fifth is on Amazon....

(click to show/hide)

FWIW, Jim wrote the story in 2008. :D

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 21, 2011, 04:58:56 AM »
Summer Knight, CH 23, while talking to Lea at the Stone Table
I'd looked on a little tree-spirit being with my Sight when I'd been about fourteen, the first time it had happened to me, and I still had a perfect picture of it in my head, as though I was still looking at it, a little cartoonish being that was part lawn gnome and part squirrel.

Interesting to note that, according to the timeline/Harry's comments about Justin's training, Harry learned how to make a shield before he learned to use/control his Sight.  Is this a reflection of Justin's priorities or is it just that the Sight is something that comes in with age?  'The first time it had happened to me' suggests the latter, but...I can't think that Justin was all that interested in having his apprentice(s) able to see things as they truly were.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 21, 2011, 03:43:33 PM »
FWIW, Jim wrote the story in 2008. :D

Yeah, I'm a proponnet of Storm Front being set in 2000- makes chronology a ton easier.

Also, one thing I picked up re-reading Death Masks- it's an election year. (DM 116).  Does that help any?

EDIT: City elections are every four years- 2003 being the most likely (too late in the series to be 1999 or early for 2007)- making 2000 Storm Front.

I HAVE SOLVED THE TIMELINE CONUNDRUM.  Nobel Prize, please.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 03:48:31 PM by Katarn »

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #380 on: June 21, 2011, 03:54:29 PM »
Yeah, I'm a proponnet of Storm Front being set in 2000- makes chronology a ton easier.

Also, one thing I picked up re-reading Death Masks- it's an election year. (DM 116).  Does that help any?

EDIT: City elections are every four years- 2003 being the most likely (too late in the series to be 1999 or early for 2007)- making 2000 Storm Front.

I HAVE SOLVED THE TIMELINE CONUNDRUM.  Nobel Prize, please.

You get a STACK of Nobel Prizes MADE OF CHOCOLATE.

Of course, Jim's chronological planning skills leave a lot to be desired (see: The Great Copperfield Retcon and Molly and Isana's TARDISes), so I'm sure there is information in the books that contradicts this.  However, it's awesome to see some solid evidence for putting Storm Front in 2000, other than sheer numerological convenience!  Thank you!

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 21, 2011, 04:02:17 PM »

You get a STACK of Nobel Prizes MADE OF CHOCOLATE.
Already mentioned in my sig  :D

Of course, Jim's chronological planning skills leave a lot to be desired (see: The Great Copperfield Retcon and Molly and Isana's TARDISes), so I'm sure there is information in the books that contradicts this.  However, it's awesome to see some solid evidence for putting Storm Front in 2000, other than sheer numerological convenience!  Thank you!

Yea, I know it's not definite with retcons and such (there was some example from SK and days of the week I recall), ie Copperfield and Molly's age (I had to google Isana lol- really need to pick that series up when I'm going through DF withdrawal), but it helps for those who like to have every date nailed down to some extent.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 21, 2011, 04:26:47 PM »
According to Priscillie's announcement of the book it's in, Naked City, "Curses" occurs between Small Favor and Turn Coat. So there's that.

LML

Going off of SF=2000, this would likely be (in-universe) as the 2009 season (9 ASF), where the Cubs still almost took the division title.  (I know Jim wrote it in '08, but chronologically it fits anywhere in '07-'09 (all decent seasons for the Cubs).

EDIT: Sorry for double post.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #383 on: June 21, 2011, 04:37:22 PM »
Going off of SF=2000, this would likely be (in-universe) as the 2009 season (9 ASF), where the Cubs still almost took the division title.  (I know Jim wrote it in '08, but chronologically it fits anywhere in '07-'09 (all decent seasons for the Cubs).

EDIT: Sorry for double post.

Rocksome!

Offline lovejoy69

• Posty McPostington
  • Ignore it, run away, bonk the offender on the head
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 21, 2011, 05:47:16 PM »
(click to show/hide)
If one were to briefly describe Mouse to a person who had never seen or heard about him before, would you explain him as comparable to a small timid rodent or to a large, shaggy, sometimes dangerously bellicose critter?

(click to show/hide)
Harry began to build Little Chicago not long after he began to receive Warden pay. Luccio made him a warden in Dead Beat.
"...when you know something the rest of us don't."
"It's like heroin for wizards," I confirmed.
   ===          ===
"And if the child was no warlock, she would have lowered the shield by now."
"No! I'm not dropping the shield until Harry says it's okay." She paused. "Uh, besides. I'm not sure how."

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 21, 2011, 07:03:32 PM »

Zambrano has pitched for the Cubs since 2001.  More importantly, from Curses, Harry thinks Tampa might have a chance. This puts 2008, 2009 as pretty likely, as Tampa didn't really start looking good until then.  hat he thought them a threat to the Yankees for a postseason title...well. He'd had to have seen them pull off a good run at least once (as in 2008) to take them seriously.
Also, Harry called them Tampa Bay-- but he called everything else by team name (Cubs, Yankees, Phillies)-- this is something I know I started doing after their name-switch in 2008.  It just...sounds wrong....to call them the Rays.

The next thing to do is to try to pin down which game Harry saw at the end of the story. Lessee. Zambrano started at Wrigley. In 2009. and it was late enough in the season (and the Cubs were doing well enough) that the management was looking into removing the curse (and 'Who do you like for the postseason' was not a silly question to ask....) So. Probably after the All Star Game.  We have 7/27, 8/25, 8/30 and 9/15.  I suspect that his start on 9/30 was too late in the season for the removal of the curse to really make a difference, as at that point, they were 8 games back and not going to the postseason.  It was looking really, really unlikely on 9/15, too (5.5 games back in the wild card, 8.5 back in the division).  Though I suppose the game Harry attended doesn't have to have been immediately following the case.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 21, 2011, 08:07:54 PM »
^This man has reached an incredible level of detail that earns my utmost respect.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #387 on: June 21, 2011, 08:18:10 PM »
Zambrano has pitched for the Cubs since 2001.  More importantly, from Curses, Harry thinks Tampa might have a chance. This puts 2008, 2009 as pretty likely, as Tampa didn't really start looking good until then.  hat he thought them a threat to the Yankees for a postseason title...well. He'd had to have seen them pull off a good run at least once (as in 2008) to take them seriously.
Also, Harry called them Tampa Bay-- but he called everything else by team name (Cubs, Yankees, Phillies)-- this is something I know I started doing after their name-switch in 2008.  It just...sounds wrong....to call them the Rays.

The next thing to do is to try to pin down which game Harry saw at the end of the story. Lessee. Zambrano started at Wrigley. In 2009. and it was late enough in the season (and the Cubs were doing well enough) that the management was looking into removing the curse (and 'Who do you like for the postseason' was not a silly question to ask....) So. Probably after the All Star Game.  We have 7/27, 8/25, 8/30 and 9/15.  I suspect that his start on 9/30 was too late in the season for the removal of the curse to really make a difference, as at that point, they were 8 games back and not going to the postseason.  It was looking really, really unlikely on 9/15, too (5.5 games back in the wild card, 8.5 back in the division).  Though I suppose the game Harry attended doesn't have to have been immediately following the case.

You get 100 forum cookies for this.

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 21, 2011, 11:50:01 PM »
Forum cookies! Awarded by Priscellie!
Squeee! *flail*
...I like baseball. I love my Red Sox. Cubs fans are enough of a kindred spirit that I kinda have to root for them and I don't mind learning their lore.  And most of that work was done by judicious use of baseball-reference.com and other such sports nerd-tastic places.  It would have been harder if he didn't have to bat.

Besides, being able to help pin SF at the year 2000?  Totally made my week. Or would have, if there hadn't been a new chapter.

Praeceps

« Reply #389 on: June 21, 2011, 11:53:33 PM »

I HAVE SOLVED THE TIMELINE CONUNDRUM.  Nobel Prize, please.
Actually, the interesting thing about your attempt versus the other attempts to pin down the timeline definitively through minor details is that Jim more than likely knew when the Chicago Mayoral elections take place since Death Masks took place in late February and the mayoral election always occurs in Chicago on the last Tuesday in February. That could, of course, be a coincidence but it would seem to be an awfully convenient one if it is.