Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 355232 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #360 on: May 29, 2011, 02:30:27 AM »
That site has an extremely poor rating (Trustworthiness, Privacy, and Vendor Relieability-wise) according to users of WOT and is listed on anti-spam company joewein.de's spam blacklist. Click on it at your own risk.

Edit: Someone should probably inform Tsunami that they might want to move their timeline to a different site.

Thanks Bastian, I was reluctant to enable scripts for the site, but was hoping it was a good link...
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Praeceps

« Reply #361 on: May 30, 2011, 11:18:07 PM »
Quote from: Fool Moon pg63
The last major loup-garou rampage happened around Gevaudan, France, back in the sixteenth century.
I just found something interesting. If I was to guess I would say that this is referring to the below event, just with the wrong century.
The first generally-recognized silver bullet story comes from France. In the 1760's in the town of Gevaudan, a series of animal attacks left at least sixty people dead. Some estimates put the death toll over 100, but circumstances attending many of the deaths are ambiguous. There were numerous eye-witness reports of a large, highly aggressive animal who carried out these attacks, often seeking out human prey in preference to cattle or even sheep nearby. The creature became known as the "Beast of Gevuadan".

The deaths were real, and well documented, but the creature responsible remains an enigma. Superstition and folk stories have become so thoroughly entwined that it is difficult to say what kind of beast it was, or even what it may have looked like. The local peasants were convinced that it was a werewolf (a loup-garou). Several people claimed to have shot or stabbed the monster, but without effect. In one account, two hunters shot it with rifles from close range, soring multiple hits. The beast limped away, apparently hurt, only to reappear and kill a few days later.

Professional hunters and trappers were dispatched with instructions to kill the beast. None were able to slay it, though several were apparently attacked and killed. Whole villages were abandoned when the beast was sighted nearby. Eventually, large groups of hunters and trackers, dogs and warriors were sent to search for the beast. Finally, one such group of men was attacked. Jean Chastel, a member of the group, had loaded a pistol with a silver bullet, with which he shot and killed the monster.

Offline LogicMouseLives

• Posty McPostington
  • Hop on the logic train!
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 01, 2011, 01:49:21 AM »

I just found something interesting. If I was to guess I would say that this is referring to the below event, just with the wrong century.

There's a cool French pseudo-documentary about the Beast of Gevaudan; Brotherhood of the Wolf. I saw it on TV a few years ago. The Wikipedia article about it also indicates 1700's rather than 1600's.

LML
GENERATION 25: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

DV LogicMouseLives v1.1 YR4.5FR4 BK++++ JB+ TH(+++) WG CL BC- SH [Murphy+++ Molly--] RP++ MC----FF++++

Praeceps

« Reply #363 on: June 01, 2011, 12:09:25 PM »
There's a cool French pseudo-documentary about the Beast of Gevaudan; Brotherhood of the Wolf. I saw it on TV a few years ago. The Wikipedia article about it also indicates 1700's rather than 1600's.

LML
The sixteenth century is the 1500s so the date is even further off, if it is intended to reference that event.

Offline LogicMouseLives

• Posty McPostington
  • Hop on the logic train!
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 01, 2011, 05:38:43 PM »
The sixteenth century is the 1500s so the date is even further off, if it is intended to reference that event.
Yep, you're right. I was only looking at your earlier comment, rather than the previous one which actually said "sixteenth century" so I mis-remembered. Thanks.

LML
GENERATION 25: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

DV LogicMouseLives v1.1 YR4.5FR4 BK++++ JB+ TH(+++) WG CL BC- SH [Murphy+++ Molly--] RP++ MC----FF++++

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 01, 2011, 06:06:30 PM »

The next person who uses "reference" as a verb will be actioned with a fonging by the low-hanging fruit. ;D

(... just kidding, in case I'm being too deadpan. :) )
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 01, 2011, 06:14:51 PM »
The next person who uses "reference" as a verb will be actioned with a fonging by the low-hanging fruit. ;D

What about dereferencing?
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 01, 2011, 06:18:21 PM »
What about dereferencing?

*grumble* Fine, as long as you keep it in its own environment and do not contaminate the general public with it. And DON'T let the business world know about it.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #368 on: June 01, 2011, 09:39:15 PM »

While the use of "action" and "gift" as verbs makes me twitch, I've never had a problem with "reference."

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 02, 2011, 02:32:03 AM »
Isn't the use of 'gift' as a verb just...archaic?
(circa 1550's, according to Merriam-Webster.....)

'To reference' has a very specific use to me:  to name-drop (okay, fine: cite) a text or body of work of an author/speaker/historical figure in order to support an assertion. 

If you're reading said text in hopes of finding a statement to support your argument, you're referring to that text, not referencing it.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 02, 2011, 02:41:10 AM »
While the use of "action" and "gift" as verbs makes me twitch, I've never had a problem with "reference."

When we already have usable and understandable ways of saying it, there's no need to create a whole new way by knocking our language out and stealing its wallet; "make reference to" or *gasp* even "refer to" work just fine.

EXCEPTION: Doing so for the purpose of amusement is perfectly cromulent. :D

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 16, 2011, 01:21:53 PM »
I don't have my book on me, but recently I read how Harry used his sight for the first time.  I think he said he was 13, and he said it was of a tree spirit thing that was sorta half squirl half garden gnome.  I think the narrative was when he saw the 2 fae queens, but I'm not sure, I'll have to look it up again later, but I didn't want to forget it again so I'm posting it.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 16, 2011, 02:36:54 PM »
Summer Knight, CH 23, while talking to Lea at the Stone Table

I'd looked on a little tree-spirit being with my Sight when I'd been about fourteen, the first time it had happened to me, and I still had a perfect picture of it in my head, as though I was still looking at it, a little cartoonish being that was part lawn gnome and part squirrel.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 16, 2011, 05:57:34 PM »
Sweet, thanks Quantus.

Coupled with Harry saying that a Soul Gaze is just a 2 way version of the "Sight," this WoJ about Soul Gazes implies to me that this event was a pretty significant milestone in Harry's development.

You got to have some serious magical chops before a soulgaze is an issue--and yes, it's one of the markers that the Council uses to see if you make the cut, though it's far from the only one.  There are folks running around who can do it who aren't on the Council, but not many of them.

Charity was small potatoes in the magic department, for a number of reasons.  It was never an issue with her.

Jim

DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 18, 2011, 03:18:49 PM »
Spoilers from the short story Curses- the preview of the first fifth is on Amazon....

(click to show/hide)