Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 355284 times)

Praeceps

Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #345 on: May 26, 2011, 11:42:43 PM »
...well, then. :D
I don't mean to bug you but are you going to be starting a new timeline since the old one is locked?

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #346 on: May 27, 2011, 02:44:04 AM »
I don't mean to bug you but are you going to be starting a new timeline since the old one is locked?

I'll be integrating these additions into the current timeline when I get a free moment.  It only appears "locked" because it's in the FAQ section.  I'm still able to access it!  I'm thinking it might be best to move it back here to DF Spoilers and merging this thread into it.

Praeceps

« Reply #347 on: May 27, 2011, 11:55:26 AM »
I'll be integrating these additions into the current timeline when I get a free moment.  It only appears "locked" because it's in the FAQ section.  I'm still able to access it!  I'm thinking it might be best to move it back here to DF Spoilers and merging this thread into it.
That would be excellent. :)

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #348 on: May 27, 2011, 12:31:01 PM »
Moved and merged!  You should all be able to respond to the Timeline thread now.

Fixed the stuff about Vlad Drakul and tweaked Charity's birth.  Also added the French and Indian War.  If you haven't already, can someone put together a list of WoJ stuff Jim has said happened during that time?  It's kind of a magnet date for awesome, apparently!

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 27, 2011, 02:39:20 PM »
Moved and merged!  You should all be able to respond to the Timeline thread now.

Good call

May I recommend a sticky cleanup between now and the GS release?
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #350 on: May 27, 2011, 02:44:08 PM »
Good call

May I recommend a sticky cleanup between now and the GS release?

That would be wise.  I went ahead and moved two of them.  I think I'll compile the "laws of the land" threads into one big thread.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 27, 2011, 02:53:26 PM »
The "old" WoJ compilation is quite chuckable since it has been superseded.  The orignal interview list is now redundant, but IMO still diserves honor...  Maybe the Display Case?
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #352 on: May 27, 2011, 03:01:38 PM »
The "old" WoJ compilation is quite chuckable since it has been superseded.  The orignal interview list is now redundant, but IMO still diserves honor...  Maybe the Display Case?

Chucked the old WoJ compilation and moved TiraCakes' interview thread to the Display Case.  Thanks!

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #353 on: May 27, 2011, 03:17:38 PM »
Is there any way the Crowd Project and WoJ threads could be merged without losing clarity/ease of access, Serack?

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 27, 2011, 03:18:26 PM »
Is there any way the Crowd Project and WoJ threads could be merged without losing clarity/ease of access, Serack?

See PM
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 27, 2011, 03:20:24 PM »
That is to say, I would first move what's there elsewhere, then encourage people to post new transcrips in the compilation. 

ninja edit:  Of course, if you were to join the 2 threads, that would accomplish much of the same thing, and I would be more than willing to adjust the intro posts.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:22:10 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Praeceps

« Reply #356 on: May 27, 2011, 05:02:58 PM »
Since it is now merged with the timeline, I'll moved the needed changes closer to the end and remove any you have already changed.

Needed changes list:
Also, Thomas's last involvement with the Oblivion War before Backup (8 years before), should probably be mentioned.

Quote from: Chuck Chuck Razool
4ASF Murphy begins teaching Harry to stick fight.
From Heorot:
"I don’t think Caine knew much about quarterstaff fighting. Murphy had been teaching it to me, however, for almost four years."

1959 (≈41 BSF) Rate of pay for wardens is set.
Quote from: Proven Guilty: Chapter 5
“I thought you were getting another paycheck now.”

I sighed. “Yeah. But the rate of pay was set in 1959, and the Council hasn’t given it a cost-of-living increase since. I think it comes up for review in a few more years.”

“Wow. That’s even slower than City Hall.”

Quote from: Quantus
The Red king is about 4000 years old, making his birth/rebirth at around 2000 bc

The White Council moved their headquarters to Edinburgh in the "just under five hundred years" ago, putting it in the mid 1500's

At least 25 BSF Susan Rodriguez is born. She's the only one old enough to rent a van in Fool Moon.

Quote from: Amber
Jim confirmed at last night's signing that Harry is "about one year younger" than Jim, which would put him at 37.  Coincides decently well with our timeline.
This was posted on April 10, 2010 so it is most likely referring to his age during Changes.

Quote from: AcornArmy
Quote from: Priscellie
June 18 -- A rain of frogs, Harry makes his deal with Mab, the Council meeting is held, and Elaine returns.
I would like to make a small and mostly insignificant correction: this should more accurately be called "a rain of toads."

The Dead Beat entry says Halloween whereas it should say starting on the 29th. Thanks to LogicMouseLives. He also posted a fascinating pinpoint of the year that is based off if was Jim taking into account what day is what date in what year in the original timeline thread.

I'm not sure if this one is important enough except in a timeline of Luccio's life but during the Camp Kaboom segment Luccio says "it had been a hundred and forty years since I'd put up with either sexual desire or a monthly cycle."

For the date of the Camp Kaboom segment:
Quote from: White Night page 45
"I went out to New Mexico this spring."
"Why?"
Helping Luccio train baby Wardens,"
And on the next page:
"So we spent about two days turning thirty acres of sand and scrub into glass. Then a couple of the Read Court's ghouls showed up and killed two kids."

I've been reading over the timeline closely and the individual timelines need to be updated from the information in the main timeline. For example, Harry and Murphy's ages have been established for Storm Front but their timelines don't reflect that. Furthermore, Harry's exact day of birth needs to be added to his timeline.

Also, if Harry was born in 1972 then we know the exact dates that everything happened since we have his exact age (25) when Storm Front took place. That puts Storm Front in 1998 (taking Harry's birthday into account) which is a little strange given that in the first chapter Harry spoke of the turn of the Millennium in the past tense.

Correction: I was looking up where Harry's birth year was given and realized that it is based off Jim's comment that Harry is about nine months younger than he is. That doesn't necessarily mean Harry's was born nine months after Jim. It could simply mean that Harry is Jim's current age minus nine months during Changes. Since we don't know the exact date of the books that doesn't tell us much since a variable minus a constant is still a variable. For example if a book was set in the Forgotten Realms, both the character and the writer could be the same age (both being 29) even if the character was born in 1374 DR and the writer in 1982 C.E..
Quote from: The Warrior time placement materials
Anyways, things that indicate a specific time for The Warrior:

Main Identifiers
-It is the end of softball season (though it doesn't specify it is a regularly timed softball season).
-It takes place between Small Favor(November, 8ASF) and Last Call (March, 10ASF)
-Harry gives the time between it and the end of Small Favor to be at least year (Side Jobs 217) or months and months depending on the estimate.

Other Possible Identifiers
-Charity is old enough that "her golden hair hid fairly well any strands of silver that might have shown."
-It is warm enough to be playing with a soccer ball outside and moderately temperatured enough for Dresden to not mention the temperature except to mention that during the night it grew cold enough for the water (on the grass that was from the rain) to make his socks uncomfortable.
-Harry is old enough and familiar enough with Harry to climb on him.  ;D
-The girls in Alicia's age group are of an age where Harry calls them girls and then corrects himself and calls them young women (he guesses).
-It's construction season and they are just putting up the house's frame.
-It is warm enough to be wearing shorts (Side Jobs 244)
Note there is another relevant quote I just found on the time between The Warrior and Small Favor.

"Months in bed and more months in therapy had left him a shadow of himself, and he had never added all the muscle back on."

So this muddies the issue on whether he experienced months in bed before a year of therapy, the second time the year of therapy includes the months in bed, or even if the time between it is months instead of a year since the year could just be rounding up.

If it is at least a year between Small Favor and the Warrior then it takes place between November of 9ASF and March of 10ASF. However, we know that it has to take place at the end of a softball season (even if it might be an irregularly timed one) and during a time where it is warm enough to wear shorts (nor at extreme enough temperatures for Harry to comment on it). So it is extremely unlikely to be any time between those two dates and thus Harry has got to be rounding on the estimate of a year.

The identifier in Side Jobs says Aftermath takes place an hour or two after the end of Changes, instead of the 45 minutes which Jim stated it was. Since the hour or two is the most recent estimate and 45 minutes was stated iirc while he was still writing, the hour or two is more likely to be the correct one.

Quote from: Fool Moon pg63
The last major loup-garou rampage happened around Gevaudan, France, back in the sixteenth century.

Hey Dresdenites,
I've been trying to place AAAA Wizardry into the Dresden chronology, and here's what I have so far:

7 ASF, May- White Night. The Paranet is formed soon after.
8 ASF, circa May- earliest time for the flashback from AAAA.  Dresden mentions the Paranet existing for a year.
9 ASF, circa May- the earliest Harry's narration to the young Wardens can occur, since it takes Megan most of a year to recover from the events of the flashback.
11 ASF, October- Changes- the story logically takes place before here due to said novel's events.

So our range is somewhere between the short story Backup and Changes.  In other words in the range of these dates (and novels),
*November 8 ASF- Small Favor, predating the narration.
*May 9 ASF- earliest date of Harry's narration.
*Summer 10 ASF- Turn Coat
*October 11 ASF- Changes

Can anyone (shy of Jim himself, who is also welcome to respond :) ) narrow this down further?
Priscellie on AAAA Wizardry
From Jim, when he handed off the story to Fred and me to beta: "It's set between Small Favor and Turn Coat."
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 05:06:12 PM by Bastian »

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #357 on: May 27, 2011, 05:05:29 PM »
Thank you, Bastian!

See PM

Shall discuss it with the others.  Danke!

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 28, 2011, 08:00:03 PM »
Oh my goodness

I just noticed this:  (Link removed due to Bastion's info.)

in Tsunami's signature.  

Other than it's usage of the RL timeline rather than the BSF time reference, it's frigin amazing.

Did you make it yourself Tsunami?  How did you get ahold of the code from MIT?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 02:29:51 AM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Praeceps

« Reply #359 on: May 28, 2011, 09:40:41 PM »
Oh my goodness

I just noticed this:  http://www.musterpuffer.de/JB/df/dftime.html

in Tsunami's signature.  

Other than it's usage of the RL timeline rather than the BSF time reference, it's frigin amazing.

Did you make it yourself Tsunami?  How did you get ahold of the code from MIT?
That site has an extremely poor rating (Trustworthiness, Privacy, and Vendor Relieability-wise) according to users of WOT and is listed on anti-spam company joewein.de's spam blacklist. Click on it at your own risk.

Edit: Someone should probably inform Tsunami that they might want to move their timeline to a different site.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 09:45:12 PM by Bastian »