Author Topic: Back cover faux-pas.....  (Read 4283 times)

Offline BobForPresident

• Posty McPostington
  • Everything lasts forever!
    • View Profile
Back cover faux-pas.....
« on: February 28, 2010, 03:14:20 AM »
After a trip to Barnes and Noble yesterday, I realized something: you totally can judge a book by its cover. How? If you turn it over and see a back cover crawling with quotations about how awesome the author is instead of telling me what the book is about!!!!

There are few turn-offs for me more likely to make me put the thing back on the shelf. I feel that just because fellow author John Hyphen-happy thinks that your book is "a cover-to-cover heart-pounding liver-clenching stroke of modern-storytelling-genius" doesn't mean that I will enjoy it in the slightest. Now, if said quote is then followed by a paragraph about plot, and if said plot intrigues me, the odds go up that I'll slide my Visa for it.

Whew. So...why do publishers elect to do this? Doesn't a tiny little plot synopsis trump a buncha glomp about what the author's friends think about him?
"Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?" - Keats

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: Back cover faux-pas.....
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 03:30:43 AM »
It's name-dropping... and it does work on a lot of people.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Landing

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 03:36:52 AM »
If I didn't have enough experience to know that the name dropping didn't really amount to much, I might be tempted by something that Jim said was good. Unfortunately I have seen some authors I really like put their comments on the back of some really bad books so you learn not to trust them, much like your can't really trust anything printed on the back of a book.  ;D
Purveyor of the theory that the overarching plot of the Dresdenverse is that its all the dinosaur's fault.

DISCLAIMER: What Duck's says but funnier.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 03:37:40 AM »
If I see a back cover like that, I'll open to the first or second page, because they'll usually have either a short paragraph excerpt, or the blurb.  If not, then I read the first line/paragraph, and maybe skim the first page.  
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Darla

• Conversationalist
  • Charter member Bookstore Commandos
    • View Profile
    • Nichtszusagen
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 10:17:33 AM »
Some authors--and I believe Jim is one of them--are really picky about which books they write blurbs for.  Others just do it whenever they're asked. 

Of course, even if you know an author is careful, sometimes the publisher will use a blurb for a previous book on a new one. 

So mostly, I just ignore them.

Except when it's an author who writes under a couple of pseudonyms and one pseudonym blurbs another--I find that hilarious and will buy the book simply because I appreciate the humor.  But then, I'm a bit of a book slut.  I've been known to buy books for less reason than that.
Darla 
Currently reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers. — A Bit of Fry and Laurie

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 04:21:24 PM »
Could be worse.

It is said that there is an edition of L. Sprague de Camp's Conan-type fantasy novel Rogue Queen the spine of which reads:

ROUGE QUEEN                            CAMP

I can see that being a bit misleading.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 04:57:55 PM »
I hear you B4P and I feel your pain.  It sounds like that book you got home with didn't match the quotes on the back.

Devil's advocate here and just a note, not necessarily my preference.  I picked up Gaiman's 2009 Newberry Award winner The Graveyard Book.  The back cover has author quotes.  Yes, it's hardback and you can open the front and read the blurb, but the draw on the back cover is from like minded authors, not critic quotes.  It's a Newberry winner.  Author quotes market books and sells them.

We can probably all name a book or series that we picked up because a favorite author recommended it.  Personally, I'm thankful for it.  I don't have time to read the back blurbs of books.  Maybe I'm weird but in order to restrict my book budget, I go in to buy a specific book or a specific series and try my best to keep my mind focused on that. 

My budget has been burned too often by a clever marketing writer that can make rotten eggs look exciting.  I'm in sales and it makes me laugh that they got me.  Bless their hearts and their job is difficult, but their goal is to sell the book.  Some are very talented at it!

And the right match of authors on the back cover can get a new writer into the hands of fans who favor the quoted author.  So far, they've never steered me wrong.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 08:53:24 PM »
You're in sales? BURN, WITCH! :D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 12:10:51 AM »
:-)     Wish I knew how to post a flaming devil's smile. LOL
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 12:23:27 AM »
I've got to admit, when a book has nothing but blurbs and praises for the author, it goes back to the shelf unless it's a book by an author I'm already a fan of.  Harry Dresden, Repairman Jack, Miles Vorkosigan, Bob The Nailer?  I'm on those like ugly on an ape even if the book has nothing but soup label ingredients printed on the cover.  Barring those happy few, I want to know at least roughly what the basic premise of a story is before I hand over my hard earned happy joe money bucks.  Too many authors mumble vague praises of other books their publishers are pushing for me to feel a lot of trust.  Now if an author I'm familiar with talks up another author or book on their blog or website, then I'm more willing to place more weight on it.  "A fast paced roller coaster" type statements carry no weight for me, but give me a couple paragraphs where an author I respect actually discusses the book, then I'll give it a whirl.

What I really hate is when the plot synopsis is an utter misrepresentation of the book.  Don't tell me the book is about an ancient horror that's awakened and is stalking the dark alleys when the book is actually focused on a girl was sad and drank a glass of water. 

Unless of course it's ancient evil horrible water that will make her stalk the dark alleyways bringing blood and terror.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 01:39:59 AM »
Could be worse.

It is said that there is an edition of L. Sprague de Camp's Conan-type fantasy novel Rogue Queen the spine of which reads:

ROUGE QUEEN                            CAMP

I can see that being a bit misleading.

Sounds refreshingly honest, to me.  ;D
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 09:07:40 PM »
What I really hate is when the plot synopsis is an utter misrepresentation of the book.  Don't tell me the book is about an ancient horror that's awakened and is stalking the dark alleys when the book is actually focused on a girl was sad and drank a glass of water. 

Stop reading my NaNo! >.<
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 03:40:44 PM »
Another thing that drives me nuts is a tendency towards describing characters, but not the plots.

Bob is a finical consultant with and exwife who hates him.

Jeff is a space pirate who thinks he's a monkey.

Gillian never got that pony she wanted.

Guilliam is the smallest Yakuza.

All exist in this newest work from the master of.....

GIVE US A FREAKING PLOT.

Yes, I'm looking at you, William Gibson's publisher.

We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 04:17:57 PM »
Stop reading my NaNo! >.<

*Blinks innocently and retreats to his usual baffled state.*

Offline Landing

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 06:21:59 PM »
Another thing that drives me nuts is a tendency towards describing characters, but not the plots.

Bob is a finical consultant with and exwife who hates him.

Jeff is a space pirate who thinks he's a monkey.

Gillian never got that pony she wanted.

Guilliam is the smallest Yakuza.

All exist in this newest work from the master of.....

GIVE US A FREAKING PLOT.

Yes, I'm looking at you, William Gibson's publisher.

Mickey Finn is a moderator that just wants his damn plot.... ;D
Purveyor of the theory that the overarching plot of the Dresdenverse is that its all the dinosaur's fault.

DISCLAIMER: What Duck's says but funnier.