Author Topic: Wierd Character Ideas  (Read 13445 times)

Offline srl51676

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Wierd Character Ideas
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2010, 02:14:28 AM »
heheh yeah spelling has never been my strong suit. As you may have noticed I started this thread and misspelled weird (in my defense I before E except after C).  However now that you mention it a scion of "Flat Land" would be interesting for those of you not hardcore nerd enough to get the ref check out this link. To a book my 5th grade math teacher read to us in class. (Thanks Mr. Frankovitch)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland

or check out this video of the concept behind it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWyTxCsIXE4

However this might be pushing the weird character envelope a bit.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 02:18:00 AM by srl51676 »
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur.
"The world wants to be deceived, so let it be deceived."

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2010, 05:39:48 AM »
Oh yeah, that's pushing the envelope. But if I were a GM I'd allow it!
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline mrsleep

• Conversationalist
  • I eat children. Just sayin'...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2010, 01:24:51 AM »
I seem to remember an old "Rifts" spell that turned the character 2d for a brief amount of time. Good luck with it as a life condition.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2010, 01:27:51 AM »
One weird character idea I had was a D&D or Arcanos Character that has been summoned from the Nevernever by the accumulated magic of his/her player.

The character isn't meant to Break/Bend the Laws of Magic or anything, just as a WTF character.

Feedback?

What class would work best?
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2010, 01:39:47 AM »

Paladin, Cleric, or other Divine class, because building it actually works out right (Champion of God package plus Sponsored Magic with a focus on healing works quite well) or a mundane class like Fighter or Rogue (built with mundane stunts and maybe an Item of Power or three). Wizards and other Arcane classes would run into major issues with conflicting magic systems and the Laws of Magic.

Also, that sounds both hilarious and awesome. Particularly if the original player is another PC with magic of some sort. Imagine Harry's barbarian come to life...

Offline srl51676

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2010, 03:01:13 AM »
One weird character idea I had was a D&D or Arcanos Character that has been summoned from the Nevernever by the accumulated magic of his/her player.

The character isn't meant to Break/Bend the Laws of Magic or anything, just as a WTF character.

Feedback?

Great Idea interesting, funny, and playable. I agree with deadman that you should avoid arcane casters but otherwise no problems

Offline mrsleep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2010, 01:50:20 AM »
Was thinking of a shape-shifter that could split into separate beings. Along the lines of forming a pack of wolves or a school of piranha, but I'm not sure how to implement it.

Suggestions?

Offline srl51676

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2010, 05:56:17 AM »
@MrSleep If it were my game I would limit you to very small creatures nothing bigger than a fish or rat other than that I'm not sure I don't know the damage system well enough to figure it out yet.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2010, 05:58:26 AM »
Yeah, I honestly think we need the rules before we can work out how to do that one mechanically. Cool idea, though.

Offline Bosh

• Conversationalist
  • Seoulite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2010, 06:00:13 AM »
I think that becomming a swarm of smaller creatures is doable as long as it doesn't break the action economy (as in, I split up into 10 rabbits and each of them do completely separate things, I'll now roll for each of them in turn!). As long as they act as one unit and stick together it should be easy to implement.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2010, 01:58:42 PM »
I think that becomming a swarm of smaller creatures is doable as long as it doesn't break the action economy (as in, I split up into 10 rabbits and each of them do completely separate things, I'll now roll for each of them in turn!). As long as they act as one unit and stick together it should be easy to implement.

Yep, that's where I'd go. If you wanted to simulate some of the advantage of being able to cover more ground and/or more area, add in things like Hulking Size and Inhuman Speed. But we're not fans of the multiple action idea in general (though you could maybe bend that rule a little if you're doing this as a bad guy intended to "single-handedly" face down an entire PC group).
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Damian Magecraft

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2010, 06:33:38 PM »
I seem to remember an old "Rifts" spell that turned the character 2d for a brief amount of time. Good luck with it as a life condition.
There is one for becoming a 4D being as well...

Offline mrsleep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2010, 09:06:15 PM »
Yeah, I honestly think we need the rules before we can work out how to do that one mechanically. Cool idea, though.

Can't take the credit on this one. Stole it from Erikson/Esselmont.  In the Malazan books the shape shifters that have a single alternate form are Soultaken, the ones that can split into a pack or swarm are D'ivers.

Offline mrsleep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2010, 09:09:26 PM »
There is one for becoming a 4D being as well...

God, I haven't played that game in years. I was so excited when I saw they had a 4th Edition book out. I'd hoped they'd overhauled the system, but no. It remained pretty much the same.

I always have loved the setting of Rifts, but that freaking system is pain.

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2010, 03:31:14 PM »
 have an Idea for a character but not sure if it is entirely workable.....

Edward Gales,
Descendant of Sir John de Galeis, illegitimate  son of the Edward the Black Prince.....

What sorts of aspects would be suitable for a knight of the cross potential? (they are all decendants of Kings and the black prince was in line for the throne)

“Chivalry is in my blood”

With the exception of the sword there is no ‘specific power that the knights have, even Sanya states he is an atheist

I don't see him as a Lone wolf type at all, actually as a decendant of Royality possibly a leader of men, also a warrior and smart. (sort of a Robin Hoodesk, leading his men and working with them not dresden style, going it alone)

Anyway any thoughts would be usefull as I am struggling

PS this is my first post so please help the newbie   ;D