Author Topic: Aspect brainstorming thread  (Read 15800 times)

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
Re: Aspect brainstorming thread
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
Trouble Aspect:  "All going according to plan....just not my plan...."

Pretty self-explainatory.

Invoke: Rolling with the plan.

Compel: Plan rolls over you (especially in Soviet Russia)

Dark Disciple of Lancelot

You were trained in Avalon by the man himself. Unfortunately, times are a changing....

Invoke: You do what is right...

Compel: But you don't care who you have run over in the process.

Lover of a Seelie

Your boyfriend wants my wife. She's a Sidhe and you can't have her. She's mine.....

Invoke: Love is wonderful....

Compel: Fracking faeries.....

Supernatural Free Agent

You have no loyalty to one power or another. It can be most handy.

Invoke: You have friends/contacts you otherwise wouldn't be able to have.

Compel: It is hard for you to choose sides.

Bringing Balance With Extreme Prejudice

You believe that life is about Balance. Good and Evil. Light and Dark. Etc. Etc. You believe that even the worst hole of a City deserves a good balance of Light.

Invoke: You the Balance with your sword/gun/Fireball

Compel: Te situation is unbalanced. You have to correct it.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline blackheart

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2010, 03:02:48 PM »

Warden Pup

A year ago you were a snot-nosed apprentice who couldn't even buy his Master a beer let alone Wizard on his/her own. Today, you're a Warden of the White Council, but you still can't buy beer. It's a dream come true, but you were never prepared for this.

Invoke:  You make with the Wardening. The use of combat magic, shooting of guns and Authoritai are your specialty.

Compel:
You are really young to be a Wizard let alone a Warden. None of the old guard take you seriously, especially if you are still in the Mortal School system. Being a Warden puts you on the front lines.

Which reminds me of this idea I was kicking around....
(Inspired by the Blue Oyster Cult song Veteran of the Psychic Wars)
Veteran of the Vampire Wars

When the Red Court attacked, you were there. When three-quarters of the Wardens were killed, you got out alive... but not unscared.
When Warden Morgan got within twenty feet of killing the Red Court King, you were at his flank.
From South America to Africa, and all dark places inbetween, you've stood your ground with sword and magic.
Others have fallen, but you still stand.

Invoke: Your breath and blood speaks volumes of experience fighting against the Red Court hoards. You also can speak passable spanish.

Compel: You have nightmares every night. Daymares sometimes too. Too many have died while you still live.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 03:11:00 PM by blackheart »
"How do you carjack a Death Star?"
Gina Diggers, Gold Digger #99

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2010, 10:33:47 PM »
Which reminds me of this idea I was kicking around....
(Inspired by the Blue Oyster Cult song Veteran of the Psychic Wars)
Veteran of the Vampire Wars

When the Red Court attacked, you were there. When three-quarters of the Wardens were killed, you got out alive... but not unscared.
When Warden Morgan got within twenty feet of killing the Red Court King, you were at his flank.
From South America to Africa, and all dark places inbetween, you've stood your ground with sword and magic.
Others have fallen, but you still stand.

Invoke: Your breath and blood speaks volumes of experience fighting against the Red Court hoards. You also can speak passable spanish.

Compel: You have nightmares every night. Daymares sometimes too. Too many have died while you still live.

That's my kind of Aspect!  ;D
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2010, 05:52:05 PM »
High Concept Aspect:  Original Alpha

You were there when Tera West taught you guys how to act like and take the shape of wolves.
You were there when Harry faced the Hexenwolves.
You were there at the Battle of the Stone Table
Maybe you were even there to see Sue in action.

Compared to other clued-in amateurs, you're a veteran. You've seen some stuff. Although you don't live in Chicago anymore, you carry on that legacy and are part of the outreach program.

Invoke: Woof!

Compel:
The Alphas are a family. What happens to one happens to all. And, the fleas are murder....

Helped Write The RPG

You are a Nerd-King, you helped write the only RPG based on Truth!

Invoke: The RPG's research really helps you.

Compel:
Bob said that was "Basically correct" Lying Skull!

Paranet Representative

You represent the small fish of the magical community. You have a lot of friends and great responsibility.
Maybe you hope you will one day be able to make the Paranet a signatory of the Accords.

Invoke: You contact one of your many contacts from the Paranet.

Compel:
A lot of Paranet people like to call you.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 05:30:09 AM by Lanodantheon »

Offline horvagab

• Conversationalist
  • "Witty popular culture remark" /Harry Dresden/
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2010, 08:30:17 PM »
Protective Patron
Your chosen Patron has taken a shine to you, a special attention. S/he/It's always watching over you, and while there is an agreement that your mind is off limits, your body is free to play with

Invoke: Your Patron does not want you to get hurt, and it looks out for you in the long run. It may send warnings, or it may use more direct method, granting one of the Inhuman characteristics for a limited time, but only your patron decides when and where to use this aid.

Compel: Your Patron may have peculiar ideas about what it means to be safe. No junk food, no Coke or alcohol, definitely no drugs. No pre-marital sex, maybe no sex at all (just think about those nasty STDs)! It may also take over your body for limited time, maybe to run away from a fight and leave all your friends there. Yay for free will!

Offline srl51676

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2010, 10:24:11 PM »
Like the protective patron idea working with Taboos and loss of free will can be really fun.
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur.
"The world wants to be deceived, so let it be deceived."

Offline srl51676

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2010, 11:20:47 PM »
I am working on a Cop/wizard character and came up with these

Name: To Protect and Serve
Description: You are a Cop, MP, FBI or Warden sworn to protect the people of your jurisdiction not only from things that go bump but from mortal threats as well
Invoke: gain a bonus when putting yourself in harms way to protect someone under your jurisdiction
Compel: You are sworn to do your job even when its inconvinent or dangerous.

Name: First Responder
Description: You are a Cop, Fireman, or EMT. You are first on the scene when things get ugly
Invoke: to arrive in the nick of time or act first in a scene
Compel: You are the first one people call for help

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2010, 11:37:44 PM »
These are for a character I thought up who uses the afore mentioned, Failed Ascension Rite as his primary focus.

Hotshot Wizard

You are a variable "Maverick" of the White Council. You could have reached for power beyond your limits, tried a few too many risky areas of "Gray" magic or maybe you are good at making deals with faeries. Maybe you are all of the above.

Anyway you look at it, the Council thinks you make Harry Dresden look sensible....

[The character in question used to be a bored, teenage apprentice with dreams of joining the White Council. According to his master, this would take no less than 20 years under his current magical learning regimen. Him and a group of friends figured out how to do it in 6 months without breaking the Laws of Magic. Unfortunately, most of the other members of the circle went *poof* when the ritual ended...]

Invoke: You push your boundaries and challenge the odds. Magic is a wonderful thing!

Compel: Use magic responsibly.....you aren't listening to me are you?....

Trouble Aspect: My Reputation Precedes Me

You did something to earn the attention of....everyone. Or, at least everyone you normally run into in the course of your work. Chances are good people know you if not on sight then on reputation. Maybe you got on Larry Fowler way too many times, are a local celebrity or ended up on the local news for falling out of the sky naked onto a major landmark.

[Note: This character did just that after the Ascension Rite and ended up right on top of the Red Wagon in Spokane]

Invoke: You use that reputation to your advantage.

Compel: Why do people have to remember every...little....thing....?

"I didn't know my own strength"

You have a problem gauging how beefy your attacks/spells are. You can....underestimate the results.

Invoke: You boost your spell. "I did that? Cool...."

Compel: You overestimate your power....just a little.

Meant to be used with another character with the same Aspect like "Hail Hail The Gang's All Here"

Not-So-Dynamic Duo

You and your partner are inseperable, made for each other and when in-sync are unstoppable.

But, like so many Duos, you fight constantly...

Invoke: You work together.

Compel: What happens to one happens to both. Also, you like to bicker...

Here's a classic from BESM:

Guy/Girl Magnet

Guys/Girls just...come to you. You don't know how. You don't know why. But you have a horde of Girls, Guys or both who all want to jump you and the horde keeps getting bigger.

Invoke: You use your talents to attract another or ask for help from one of your many suitors.

Compel: A) Maintaining this horde can be difficult. B)  Not another one.....

More generic Aspects:

An Imp on His/Her Shoulder

You possess a Familiar demon of Profane Knowledge and Intellect. He/She likes to read a bit too much and is always chatting about everything from the proper procedure for making sunlight in a bottle to 16th Century Showtunes. 

Invoke: The little guy/gal knows something useful.

Compel: He needs to get paid...somehow. Be glad Bob only wants Romance Novels.

Faerie Negotiator

Some people hate dealing with Faeries and liken it to pulling teeth. You on the other hand understand it quite well. You can get more out of a Faerie than a farmer can get out of a cow and with less effort.

Invoke: You get something out of a Faerie or use something you already got.

Compel: All bargains come with a price. The better you get at negotiating with Faeries, the more Faeries want to try their luck.

Product Liabilities Wizard

When you found the magic, you also found a great racket in Product Liabilities. As a Wizard, the products you take to trial as a Lawyer always breakdown on cue and sometimes before that.

"Look at how this product doesn't last..." You say to the jury.

Invoke: You make with the Magic and Lawyering.

Compel: People might get suspicious. Also your case load's not cool...

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2010, 12:08:05 PM »
So I'm new to Fate-like RPG's.

My first try for Aspects for an Char.

High Concept:
Half-Blooded Council-Wizard

Trouble:
Enemies of My Unseelie-Mother

Background: Where did you come from?
Aspect: Raised in Fairie
Male Wizard, Female Sidhe. Female got the upper hand and got an ride out of it.
Childhood spent mostly in Fairie.

Rising Conflict: What shaped you?
Aspect: Don’t trust beatiful women.
After he got his magic, he spent more time with his father (learning).
Let an Red Vampire in disguise in his fathers home. Vamp got the jump on his father but failed to kill the son.

Edit: Opinions?

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2010, 07:15:32 PM »
My problem with the background for the "Don't Trust Beautiful Women" is that I think most supernaturals can sense Red Court vampires when they are close, even in their flesh masks. Maybe change it to a White Court(Maybe not a Raith, Malvora might be more appropriate for killing someone outright) since from my knowledge unless there are doing something supernatural the Whites are mostly undetectable.

I think my complaint is mostly flavor/fluff than it is rules, otherwise I like it. But what about Sidhe women? Aren't they also beautiful?
~~~~
I've currently latched onto the idea of a former Alpha that had more magical talent than just shapeshifting, kinda got inspired by the blurb in Submerged starting point "Werewolf who can do earth evocations" I'm still trying to workout if he's Wizard/Werewolf, Sorcerer/Werewolf, or Focused Practitioner/Werewolf who became inspired by Dresden(who the Alphas hero-worshiped) to become a detective. Somewhat inspired by Lanodantheon's Original Alpha

Faraday Church
Hot-Headed Wizarding(or Spell-Slinging or Terramancing) Werewolf Detective
Original Alpha, Participated in Fool Moon/Summer Knight, got advice from Dresden in dealing with supernatural abilities, idolized him and after moving away became a detective.

Invoke: Using werewolf abilities to track lost items/people, combination or magic/werewolfing to fight supernatural threats.
Compel: Rash and quick to anger. Laws of Magic.

Trouble: Enemies of the Alphas and Dresden (I'm not sure if this is adequate...)

I'm having trouble creating this character, I want him to be a Focused Practitioner(so he has more or a reason he's not an actual member of the White Council). I'm aiming for 11-14 refresh and I'm not sure I understand the limits on Channeling and Ritual in concerns to Refinement.

Why can't I take Refinement to increase the power/control of elemental Channeling's or complexity/control of elemental themed Ritual(other than for Item Slots, if your pigeon-holed into one element shouldn't you be able to be 'the best' in that element)? [Probably shouldn't ask here, but I didn't think it deserved it's own thread]
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2010, 11:59:55 PM »
Here are all but one of the Aspects I settled on for my Constantine-inspired (and Lenny-revised) Venatori. He makes the Spokane Valley look cool.  ;D

Note: Name is still temporary.

15th Generation Monster Hunter

Since the days of Jamestown, the Smyth family has protected Humanity from the things that go bump. You are a member of that Legacy. Your whole family is the Delta Force of Monster killing.

Invoke:
You call upon that legacy of Bad Ass and the responsibilities that come with it.

Compel:
You've got a job to do.

Trouble: You can pick your friends, but not your relatives

Yes, you come from a long line of badasses. You are related to many more. Not all of them are people you want to be related to.

Like Grandfather who had a BCV investigated for income tax evasion....and ended up bankrupting half of Downtown.

Or Cousin Judy, who wants to marry a WCV for True Love.

Or dear brother, who wants to run for Mayor so he can negotiate a peace.

You love them all dearly, but....

Invoke:
You call a relative.

Compel:
A relative calls you or is mentioned in conversation.

Friendly Neighborhood Venatori

You belong to the Brotherhood that kicks evil's but with Mortal authority and law. You also live in the suburbs....

Invoke:
You access your resources and contacts relating to the Venatori.

Compel:
You place of residence has a vampire problem. And, Mandy needs to be home by 8.

Family Gunsmith

You work in the Family Gun Store, the Smythee.

For your family, it is a long tradition.

Invoke:
You make guns....lots of guns.

Compel:
The store calls.

Equal-Opportunity Destroyer

The building is one fire and it's entirely your fault.

Invoke:
Did somebody say Bang?

Compel:
COPS!!!!

Offline srl51676

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2010, 05:24:05 AM »
Ok I need some help here people. I am looking for a good high concept name for a thief from a lower class background that enjoys the finer things in life and pretends to be from a much higher social class. I feel like there is a word for pretending to be from a higher social class but i can't think of what it is. 

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2010, 05:37:10 AM »
Jumped-Up Burglar.

Or at least, that's the phrase that comes to mind.

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2010, 11:24:03 AM »
Ok I need some help here people. I am looking for a good high concept name for a thief from a lower class background that enjoys the finer things in life and pretends to be from a much higher social class. I feel like there is a word for pretending to be from a higher social class but i can't think of what it is. 

Trashy passing for classy

ugh my brains tired but something along those lines maybe

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2010, 01:21:41 PM »
Alrighty, what do you guys think of these aspects for my Focused Practitioner (Apprentice, eventually will be a Wizard)

High Concept
Grey Wizard
Trouble
Apprenticed to a Black Wizard
Other Aspects

A Life in Payment
Timothy was sold by his parents to a dark wizard in exchange for clearing a debt.
Invoke: Whenever children are in danger, whenever people are being extorted.
Compel: The Above

A Taste of Forbidden Knowledge
Timothy has been exposed to a certain amount of black knowledge.
Invoke: Anything involving dark magics.
Compel: He will be tempted to read or learn about any dark magics he hears about.

My Mind is My Own
Timothy has had to fight tooth and nail to maintain the sanctity of his mind. He has very strong mental walls.
Invoke: Defend VS Mental Attacks, to keep secrets under pressure, deceit in order to keep those secrets.
Compel: Keeping secrets for no reason other than to keep them.

Magical Muscle
Timothy was raised as a magical bodyguard.
Invoke: Whenever he needs a bump for Gross Magical Manipulation. (Not for subtle magics, mostly applies to Evocation, some Thaumaturgy)
Compel: When the player comes up with a subtle tricksy way to get something done, he can be compelled to use a more direct method instead.

Payback is a Bitch
Timothy has learned the art of biding his time.
Invoke: When somebody wrongs him and he has waited at least one scene to pay them back for it. When somebody queers on a deal with him.
Compel: He has difficulty ignoring a chance to get back at somebody.