Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1125839 times)

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #2730 on: November 30, 2010, 04:27:47 AM »
Why?

Are you kidding? He's hilarious as I'll get out but he's endearing at best, never truly charming. And not horrible looking (no pun intended) but way not angelic/Greek godlike. No one would ever describe him as a "predatory angel," as I believe Harry has in some book or other. So sorry, but no way.
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: November 30, 2010, 04:34:41 AM »
You have to sacrifice some thing to get others I know this is "Perfect Casting" but you will never get that perfect person you will have to settle. The thing that is great about NPH is that he can be sweet but he can be devious and put on a brave face. Talk about flexability
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: November 30, 2010, 05:08:32 AM »
You have to sacrifice some thing to get others I know this is "Perfect Casting" but you will never get that perfect person you will have to settle. The thing that is great about NPH is that he can be sweet but he can be devious and put on a brave face. Talk about flexability

Eh. I realize that finding the Thomas I visualize is going to be impossible but I still can't accept NPH. Given who Thomas is, the actor we choose should make me have to struggle really hard not to lust and NPH doesn't do that. Matt Bomer does that...but he doesn't look exactly like Thomas looks in my head. I can make the sacrifce for exact appearance easier, though, than I can accept someone who lacks that innate sexual magnetism that is so essential.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 05:10:21 AM by hatshep2 »

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: November 30, 2010, 05:32:57 AM »
They will pay people to be magnetized to him. Besides I only see there being 5 or 6 movies for the first 12 books
Sir  Reginald.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: November 30, 2010, 12:46:23 PM »
They will pay people to be magnetized to him. Besides I only see there being 5 or 6 movies for the first 12 books

They can with the people in the movie but that won't make me want him. And if all of the straight females in the audience don't want him then the casting just isn't right. And, even if there aren't that many movies, I still couldn't take poor casting. (Hey, I got bitter over the poor casting in Eragon and I didn't even read the books.) ;)

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: November 30, 2010, 01:18:07 PM »
Read them NOW! but that's not what I meant what I meant was that there are lots of girls attracted to NPH despite the fact that he is gay
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: November 30, 2010, 04:27:26 PM »
GW, sometimes Hollyweird does casting against type but NOT in this kind of situation.
He's NOT Thomas, not now not ever.  Sorry.
Maybe Rudolph but NOT Thomas.
And women may like him but, as Harry says, this is not the type of guy who makes all the fathers of teen aged girls want to shoot him on sight or lock them up in Nunneries.
And, truth be told, he'd look ridiculous trying to play the part.  Not because he wouldn't give it his all but because pretty much NOBODY would take him seriously.  And that's not a nice thing to do to an actor.

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2737 on: November 30, 2010, 05:00:55 PM »
Hmm, NPH for Rudy.  I like it!
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: November 30, 2010, 05:04:20 PM »
Hmm, NPH for Rudy.  I like it!

Thanks.
Morning JM, how are you this morning?

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: November 30, 2010, 06:34:46 PM »
NPH for Rudolph Mebe
Sir  Reginald.

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: December 06, 2010, 05:00:49 PM »
They can with the people in the movie but that won't make me want him. And if all of the straight females in the audience don't want him then the casting just isn't right. And, even if there aren't that many movies, I still couldn't take poor casting. (Hey, I got bitter over the poor casting in Eragon and I didn't even read the books.) ;)

I'm not sure that there's one actor that could make all the straight women who see the movie want him.  People have too many (contradictory) preferences for that!

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: December 06, 2010, 10:57:59 PM »
I'm not sure that there's one actor that could make all the straight women who see the movie want him.  People have too many (contradictory) preferences for that!

Okay, maybe not every female audience member but still most should. Plus, as a woman, the fact that NPH is gay in real life really spoils any potential attraction even if he was smoking hot (which he's not.) The actor for Thomas should make the majority of the women instant fans and totally lust after that actor for ever and in every role he plays from then on out. Before you say that no actor is capable of that, let me just say Jake Gyllenhaal succeeded in doing that, even while playing in the rather mediocre summer movie (based on a video game no less) "Prince Of Persia" that became a guilty pleasure for a lot of women. So it is possible - we just have to find the ideal and sexy match to play the ideal and sexy Thomas.

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: December 07, 2010, 01:47:11 AM »
...He'll forever be Homer Hickam to me (from October Sky).
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing-- he was cute as a geek-- but I wouldn't tackle him on the street.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: December 07, 2010, 03:50:56 AM »
...He'll forever be Homer Hickam to me (from October Sky).
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing-- he was cute as a geek-- but I wouldn't tackle him on the street.

Well, my first exposure was to the chisled body and amazing smile of Prince Dustan so I'm sure you can understand where I'm coming from. ;)

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: December 07, 2010, 01:37:41 PM »
That movie was kinda terrible I thought the plot was strung out and the villians were easily beat
Sir  Reginald.