Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1127150 times)

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #2700 on: November 21, 2010, 02:43:08 PM »
Do you suffer from SAD Hatshepsut/Tiny but Fierce?
It's a season disorder caused by the waning of the light in fall and winter.
I get bouts of it.

Re: Viggo.  Yeah, he's got the intensity for Michael but not nearly the size.
Michael is a burly kind of guy.  You look at medieval armor and while the guys might have been short they were usually pretty bulky through the chest and arms.  Comes of wielding several pounds of sharp sword.

I dunno :) Usually I'm pretty kicky during this time of the year. I enjoy it. But yesterday, I was just depressed.

Very true. Unfortunately, I can't think of anyone else besides Viggo and Nathan Fillion to fill the role.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline justafan2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: November 21, 2010, 06:57:09 PM »
[snip]Patrick Warburton could do it, but the problem is that everytime I hear his voice, I start hearing Joe from Family Guy, or Brock Samson from the The Venture Bros, or the Big Bad Wolf from Hoodwinked, or Kronk from The Emperor's New Groove.[/snip]

I kind of see him as a little bit Brock Samson. More piety and less cartoony, of course.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: November 21, 2010, 09:29:22 PM »
I dunno :) Usually I'm pretty kicky during this time of the year. I enjoy it. But yesterday, I was just depressed.

Very true. Unfortunately, I can't think of anyone else besides Viggo and Nathan Fillion to fill the role.

I think it was Shecky that suggested the actor from Due South - Paul Gros - and I concur.
He has the size and he has a very open and honest face, he also has the acting chops.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: November 21, 2010, 10:19:34 PM »
As for Ryan Reynolds as Thomas, I just can't see it. He just seems too nice-guy and no way he could pull off that predatory sex appeal that is Thomas.
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: November 22, 2010, 02:45:20 AM »
As for Ryan Reynolds as Thomas, I just can't see it. He just seems too nice-guy and no way he could pull off that predatory sex appeal that is Thomas.

No, I agree with that.  Ryan Reynolds while very good looking is not, to use Harry's words, "a predatory angel".

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: November 22, 2010, 04:30:29 AM »
But Thomas isn't really on the prowl all  the time though
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: November 22, 2010, 05:12:56 AM »
"Predatory angel." Yep, Snowleopard - gotta love that description. ;)

But Thomas isn't really on the prowl all  the time though

True, he isn't always but he is often enough that the actor has to be able to pull that part of him off brilliantly. Ryan Reynolds is sexy - but for none of the same reasons and in none of the same ways that Thomas is.

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2707 on: November 22, 2010, 05:33:36 AM »
But Thomas isn't really on the prowl all  the time though

It doesn't matter if Thomas is always on the prowl, or never on the prowl. It has nothing to do with what his thoughts are -- it's his entire being. It's what makes him a vampire of the White Court, an incubus. The demon inside him resonates through every inch of Thomas' body, and everyone within a ten foot radius of Thomas will react to it, whether he's hunting them or not. You've read some of Harry's descriptions of what happens when Thomas walks in front of people when he isn't paying attention -- men, women, they all turn around and watch him, and follow him with their eyes. Thomas could be completely lost in his own thoughts and have a parade of people walking behind him because he can't even have a shot to turn down the "come hither, and make with the go-thither" (to borrow a turn of phrase from Harry).

Snowleopard and Hatshep are smack on the money with the term "predatory angel." Thomas is supposed to be so utterly divine in his looks and aura that only people who know what he is would be aware of themselves enough to back off. And in my eyes, Ryan Reynolds, though awesomely sexy, cannot pull it off.

Also, it's not just a matter of finding someone with the right looks to portray Thomas. In my opinion, you have to find someone who is willing to go into the same mindframe as the man. He loves life, he loves his parties, he loves Justine, he loves Harry -- he hates his father, but he's loyal to his sisters and would go to any lengths to protect them; he's a known layabout, but he's also a secret agent of the Venatori; he's vain, arrogant, charming and entirely too flippant, but he's also one of the only known White Court vampires that has known love, and feels guilt over what his Hunger can do to the people he's around.

You have to look for someone whose eyes will convey the daily circle of happiness and torture that Thomas goes through. For me, that person is Matt Bomer.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: November 22, 2010, 05:36:25 AM »
 :-\
Sir  Reginald.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

Offline oudyn

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: November 26, 2010, 06:51:18 AM »
how about Vin Diesel (with hair) as Kincaid
Naa not vin diesel. In my mind kinkaid is smaller. More built for speed rather than power. Someone more like jason statham but a lil smaller. And since he's a minor role they would cast someone new that just fits the profile

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: November 27, 2010, 04:13:30 AM »
Straham would be perfect for kincaid

How about Tom cruise for Nicademous
Sir  Reginald.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: November 27, 2010, 04:21:53 PM »
Straham would be perfect for kincaid

How about Tom cruise for Nicademous

I thought we established that Tom Cruise can't touch this movie?  ;)

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: November 27, 2010, 06:30:42 PM »
I thought they didn't want him for harry but he would make a awesome Nic
Sir  Reginald.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: November 27, 2010, 07:47:27 PM »
I thought they didn't want him for harry but he would make a awesome Nic

Nah. He was great in "Top Gun" and "Knight & Day" but I don't think he is a good actor in general - those were just good fits for him. I don't want him to play such an important role in Dresden since I don't really think he's got the acting chops.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: November 28, 2010, 02:24:26 AM »
Nah. He was great in "Top Gun" and "Knight & Day" but I don't think he is a good actor in general - those were just good fits for him. I don't want him to play such an important role in Dresden since I don't really think he's got the acting chops.

Yeah, verily yeah.  The man does NOT have the acting chops for a real serious role.
To borrow from Harry D. - Hell no - when it comes to playing Harry and he's not pretty enough for Thomas.