Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1127000 times)

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #2685 on: November 20, 2010, 04:09:43 AM »
*headdesk* THUD.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: November 20, 2010, 04:23:25 AM »
Ha
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline justafan2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: November 20, 2010, 08:55:30 AM »
Anybody else see Patrick Warburton as Michael?

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: November 20, 2010, 04:34:20 PM »
Anybody else see Patrick Warburton as Michael?

He has the size but I'm not so sure of his facial features.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2689 on: November 20, 2010, 05:33:53 PM »
He has the size but I'm not so sure of his facial features.

RIDE, RIDE, RIDE SALLY RIDE.

I'm sorry. I saw what you changed your profile name to, and I couldn't resist.

Patrick Warburton could do it, but the problem is that everytime I hear his voice, I start hearing Joe from Family Guy, or Brock Samson from the The Venture Bros, or the Big Bad Wolf from Hoodwinked, or Kronk from The Emperor's New Groove.

I don't think I'd be able to take him seriously as Michael :(

Besides, when I think of Michael, I think of him as a soft-spoken man, like Harry is, just less sarcastic.

If you guys haven't read Aftermath from Side Jobs, Murphy's description of Harry goes along the lines of this:

"Aftermath," Side Jobs, page 352
(click to show/hide)

With deference to a few lines, Murphy might as well also be talking about Michael in the early days, before SmF. He stands confident, is only a few inches shorter than Harry, with a blockier build, he meets people's gazes head on -- find some footage somewhere of a construction foreman working. You might see exactly the sort of person Michael's build coincides with. Also, as Harry is somewhere around 6'7 to 6'9, Michael could be anywhere from 6'0 to 6'5.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 05:35:58 PM by tiny[but]fierce »
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: November 20, 2010, 08:55:28 PM »
Yes! Love, love, LOVE that discription. And I completley agree about Michael. He's my favorite character from DF and one of my favorite characters period. His casting has just got to be perfect and so far I haven't seen anybody who could begin to pull it off.
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: November 20, 2010, 09:36:05 PM »
I think definitely for harry we should have someone who doesn't look grumpy, who isn't grumpy.
Sir  Reginald.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: November 20, 2010, 10:12:18 PM »
I think definitely for harry we should have someone who doesn't look grumpy, who isn't grumpy.

Agreed. Harry makes the best of his bad luck/sucky judgement/obnoxious people skills that are always getting him into trouble. He has every reason to have a bad attitude a lot of times but the worst attitude he can muster is the occasional false indignation towards Mister for owning him. 9 times out of 10 he'll respond with a joke and the 1 time he doesn't he's kind of lost it and is way beyond grumpy. So yeah, I'm with "Sun Tzu/whatever his name is lately" - no grumpy Harry allowed. ;)

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2693 on: November 21, 2010, 02:51:37 AM »
By the way, has anyone in the States seen the latest issue of People Magazine?

Ryan Reynolds has been named Sexiest Man Alive.

He's officially 2010's sexiest man alive.

Which means he's officially out of the running for Harry, because no one would want to see the sexiest man alive with a broken nose and two black eyes :-\

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2694 on: November 21, 2010, 02:55:31 AM »
Yes! Love, love, LOVE that discription. And I completley agree about Michael. He's my favorite character from DF and one of my favorite characters period. His casting has just got to be perfect and so far I haven't seen anybody who could begin to pull it off.

I still see Viggo Mortensen as a wonderful Michael. Purely based on how he played the character of Aragorn in the Lord of The Rings, I would lose my mind if he played Michael because he seems so perfect for the role.

Side issue -- for some reason, Charity's words from SmF kept running through my head today: "His heart. They hurt his heart." I've been kinda depressed all day :(

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: November 21, 2010, 04:49:32 AM »
I still see Viggo Mortensen as a wonderful Michael. Purely based on how he played the character of Aragorn in the Lord of The Rings, I would lose my mind if he played Michael because he seems so perfect for the role.

Side issue -- for some reason, Charity's words from SmF kept running through my head today: "His heart. They hurt his heart." I've been kinda depressed all day :(

Hmm...not sure he looks quite right for the part, gorgeous though he is. I just kind of picture him different. Still, he is certainly the best match suggested so far and his aura, if you will, is dead on.

That is a depressing quote! I know how stuff like that can color your day a little. Sad songs get stuck in my head all the time (today it was "Time Isn't Healing" by Tom Felton and yesterday it was "Hands Clean" by Alanis Morissette) and they stick with you all day. Sometimes they're depressing and other times they are just kind of theraputic but for some reason they always seem to hang on.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: November 21, 2010, 04:59:44 AM »
Do you suffer from SAD Hatshepsut/Tiny but Fierce?
It's a season disorder caused by the waning of the light in fall and winter.
I get bouts of it.

Re: Viggo.  Yeah, he's got the intensity for Michael but not nearly the size.
Michael is a burly kind of guy.  You look at medieval armor and while the guys might have been short they were usually pretty bulky through the chest and arms.  Comes of wielding several pounds of sharp sword.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: November 21, 2010, 05:38:10 AM »
Do you suffer from SAD Hatshepsut/Tiny but Fierce?
It's a season disorder caused by the waning of the light in fall and winter.
I get bouts of it.

Re: Viggo.  Yeah, he's got the intensity for Michael but not nearly the size.
Michael is a burly kind of guy.  You look at medieval armor and while the guys might have been short they were usually pretty bulky through the chest and arms.  Comes of wielding several pounds of sharp sword.

Okay, maybe it hits me a little. I don't feel truly sad all that often but I regularly get this kind of, I guess, somber feeling sometimes, which is so not like me. I kind of like it though, which is wierd. I love writing and I empathize with my characters a lot and I really enjoy that. So maybe this is just some sort of "seasonal empathy." If that makes any sense at all. ;)

As for Michael, yes! You have explained exactly what I meant when I said I picture him different. And maybe that's part of why I find his character so attractive, in addition to just being one of the most awesome characters period. Honestly, a nice chest really turns me on...

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: November 21, 2010, 07:01:07 AM »
By the way, has anyone in the States seen the latest issue of People Magazine?

Ryan Reynolds has been named Sexiest Man Alive.

He's officially 2010's sexiest man alive.

Which means he's officially out of the running for Harry, because no one would want to see the sexiest man alive with a broken nose and two black eyes :-\

But but he can be thomas
Sir  Reginald.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2699 on: November 21, 2010, 02:40:10 PM »
But but he can be thomas

And I still have Matt Bomer reserved for Thomas. Sorry, whatever-your-name-is-today.

In Butcher We Trust.