Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1127227 times)

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #2490 on: October 23, 2010, 02:34:09 PM »
Jensen Ackles as Harry Dresden yes Jared P as Dresden NO!

Why? Jared's physical form, such as it is, fits the description of Dresden a lot more than Jensen's does. Especially as they actually have about the same height differential between them that Harry and Thomas have between them. Jared is about 6'5" (which is about as close to Harry's rather freaky 6'9" that anyone is going to get unless you cast Paul White [The Big Show] in a completely out-of-place role as Harry), and Jensen is about 6'1. I actually pitched Jared as Harry and Jensen as Thomas a while back, just because of the similarities between the characters. That and, well... Jensen's just a leeeeettle too pretty to be Harry. Can you imagine that face all punched up, bruised and bleeding?

Oh, wait. There WAS that one time at the very literal end of Season 5.

Still, though. Even punched up, bruised and bleeding, he still looks awful.... um. Well, you can tell he's usually good looking in any case. Too good looking to be Harry. Jared's looks are a little more on par. Plus, I swear to everything wacky, someone used Jared as a model for Dresden on the cover for Welcome to The Jungle.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2491 on: October 23, 2010, 02:34:41 PM »
Errr. My computer's acting up. Sorry about that :-\
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 02:39:53 PM by tiny[but]fierce »
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: October 23, 2010, 04:06:18 PM »
i think that since they already got a dynamic down they would be a good fit
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Johannes Dee

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: October 25, 2010, 12:23:38 AM »
One of the things that stumps me as far as rounding out the full cast, is that Harry and Thomas would have to resemble one another close enough to pull off the brother-act. If you go the Padalecki route, you could cast Taylor Kitsch as Thomas, who is basically a prettier Padalecki. And you have two actors young enough to build a franchise around. There's a height difference, as apparently Pad's 6'4" or more whereas Kitsch is 5'11", but if I remember correctly Thomas is shorter anyway, though I could be wrong (Something that occurs frequently when I argue with my wife).

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: October 25, 2010, 12:28:52 AM »
Right about the shorter thing although i don't think the difference is that big.
Sir  Reginald.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2495 on: October 25, 2010, 12:35:23 AM »
One of the things that stumps me as far as rounding out the full cast, is that Harry and Thomas would have to resemble one another close enough to pull off the brother-act. If you go the Padalecki route, you could cast Taylor Kitsch as Thomas, who is basically a prettier Padalecki. And you have two actors young enough to build a franchise around. There's a height difference, as apparently Pad's 6'4" or more whereas Kitsch is 5'11", but if I remember correctly Thomas is shorter anyway, though I could be wrong (Something that occurs frequently when I argue with my wife).

You are correct, Thomas is shorter than Harry, and Harry frequently lords it over him. (Plus, there was that moment in Small Favor where Thomas had to run around town as Harry to distract the gruffs, but the glamour Harry had created for him reflected the way he [Harry] looked before he got his nose broken by a gruff's hoof. They had to get Molly to use her Goth-'Em-Up make-up to make Thomas actually look like Harry, and she had to practice looking past the glamour, since Thomas's eye line was notably lower than Harry's was.)

I think most people who root for Padalecki to play Harry would prefer it if Jensen Ackles played Thomas, because in real life, as well as on Supernatural there is a four to five year age difference between them, Ackles is the older, shorter, "prettier" one (some would say), and the boys have a history with each other, both as playing brothers, and being as close AS brothers (Ackles was best man at Padalecki's wedding to Genevieve Cortese; prior to that, they were actually roomies -- I believe -- since 2006.)

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Johannes Dee

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: October 25, 2010, 01:14:36 AM »
I may actually have to start watching Supernatural, I'm hearing some awesome things have come out of it over the past season or so. I tried watching it once when the show first aired, and it seemed too... Charmed for Boys, to put it mildly, but it really sounds like it's grown quite a bit since then. And looking up some Ackles pictures, yeah, I could see that working too.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: October 25, 2010, 01:20:21 AM »
Hey yeah watch it, It really does go great on the twist and turns department
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Johannes Dee

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: October 25, 2010, 01:35:22 AM »
While I'm at it here's a name out of left field that might work for Harry, assuming really, when you get down to it, what makes Harry Harry and not Urban Fantasy Wizard #42197 is his wit. Well, Jim's wit, really, but Jim's so Harry it's not even funny hehe. So basically, you need someone who can pull off Harry's sardonic humor, someone with a kind of low-key but loveable charisma. Who also happens to be tall and reasonably fits Harry's description. John Krasinski. I know he's a lil goofy, but so is Harry. And apparently he had the folks at Marvel convinced he could pull off Captain America until the angrynerd backlash from the fan base scared them away from trying to put a comedian in spandex.

It also helps that he looks like he broke his nose at least once at some point in his life heh.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: October 25, 2010, 01:38:56 AM »
Yeah the only problem i had with the guy from the tv series is he was a little too serious
Sir  Reginald.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2500 on: October 25, 2010, 02:37:07 AM »
HEY, this is a fun little Dresdenverse/SPNverse tie in! I found this a while back when I was snooping through Murphy's (EMILY ROSE EMILY ROSE EMILY ROSE EMILY ROSE) profile on Wikipedia (they have since taken it down. Not sure why.):

"When Detective McBain lists off members in the network of cops that know of the paranormal in the TV series Supernatural, a female cop in Chicago named Murphy is mentioned. This was mentioned in the Supernatural tie-in book "Nevermore" by Keith R.A. DeCandido, not the series."

So while it's not TECHNICALLY canon because it's not in the show, it's book canon because it was mentioned in a book based ON the show. Murphy is known in the SPN verse! (and Sam and Dean should probably be really glad that she hasn't cottoned on to what they do just yet.)

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: October 25, 2010, 02:40:40 AM »
Hey i think that later in the series she would have no problem with them smiting monsters. (just all the illegal stuff they do to facilitate this)
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: October 25, 2010, 03:37:22 AM »
I still think either Daniel Craig or johnny depp should be kincaid
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: October 25, 2010, 03:49:04 AM »
I still think either Daniel Craig or johnny depp should be kincaid

No no no, Johny Depp goes nohwhere near this movie and Daniel Craig is too small and British Maybe The guy who plays batman in the new movies
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: October 25, 2010, 04:22:48 AM »
Kincaid is NOT a small man so you need someone at least of moderate size to play him.
Hmmm, what about Dwayne Johnson?  He is most definitely NOT a small man.