Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1126748 times)

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #2445 on: October 22, 2010, 02:07:27 AM »
Big no on Tom Cruise. I, unlike Shecky, dislike the crap out of Cruise. Never have liked him. He seems entirely insincere about anything and everything that comes out of his mouth. Barring that, he would actually make me distrust Michael, which is something that should NEVER happen.

Fillion as Michael, I can definitely see, although Shecky is right in that there would be massive potentially primo snark lost in translation here. I think I could be okay with it, though, as long as whoever plays Harry brings it for the both of them. He's played serious roles before (a misogynistic priest who was really an agent of the First Evil on Buffy, which was just flipping creepy; a doctor who falls for Keri Russel's character in the movie Waitress; and despite the completely BA snarkiness of the character, Captain Malcolm Reynolds was deeply serious, too.)

In the end, I'd still have to see a screen test to be sure. Michael is one of the best characters in the series (he's in my top three, right after Harry, Karrin and Thomas, and no, I didn't count wrong -- Karrin and Thomas share the number 2 spot). I love Nathan, but my top pick for Michael is still Viggo Mortenson (at least until something epic happens and they discover an unknown who completely kills the role).
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: October 22, 2010, 02:09:38 AM »
I actually hated michael till proven Guilty and then realized what a great man with a great burden.
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: October 22, 2010, 02:22:35 AM »
My two cents worth.
Tom Cruise shouldn't have anything to do with a HD film.
He's been too busy playing himself lately.
And definitely NOT as Michael.  No way.
Nathan Fillion is great but he's not a Michael.
More as one of the wardens or the new FBI guy - Tilly?  Have I that right?
Paul Gross is a good choice for Michael.  Give him a close cropped beard and a shaggier hair style and he'd be good to go.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: October 22, 2010, 02:25:13 AM »
Shaggy hair like charity would allow that
Sir  Reginald.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: October 22, 2010, 02:54:00 AM »
Nah, just grab him as-is from Constable Fraser, add beard and done.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: October 22, 2010, 03:04:31 AM »
*slips in*

Bang.

*slips out*
I'm wanting to say something along the lines of "that's what she said" but it's not really applicable here. :D
Everybody is banging me today  ::)
:D :D :D

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: October 22, 2010, 03:13:52 AM »
Yeah you can't make a joke of a joke
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: October 22, 2010, 03:19:41 AM »
ok mind out of gutter . sowwy

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: October 22, 2010, 03:20:39 AM »
Can you give me a hand out of it too?  ;D
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #2454 on: October 22, 2010, 11:49:56 AM »
I think they should actually hire David Duchovny for Tilly, then dye his hair a little darker or add a teensy facial prosthetic (nose?) so that he looks sliiiiiiightly different.  Then he could be himself in Harry's illusion. :D

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: October 22, 2010, 01:27:54 PM »
Heh. Jokes within jokes.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: October 22, 2010, 02:43:55 PM »
That's a good one, I like that.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: October 22, 2010, 04:13:47 PM »
Really? Huh? "Executive" is one of the last descriptions I could imagine for his Fraser character. He's visibly upright, honest, open, strong and outright good. I can't NOT see him as Michael.

Don't worry - I meant that like "the son of a rich executive who just inherited the company." If I had meant something negative, I would have just said "lawyer."  ;) He seems like a nice guy but still not Michael to me. Michael is a high class guy in the sense that he is a good person and an upstanding citizen but he just doesn't scream "corner office" like that actor does with me for some reason.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 04:40:56 PM by hatshep2 »
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: October 22, 2010, 04:19:12 PM »
My two cents worth.
Tom Cruise shouldn't have anything to do with a HD film.
He's been too busy playing himself lately.
And definitely NOT as Michael.  No way.
Nathan Fillion is great but he's not a Michael.
More as one of the wardens or the new FBI guy - Tilly?  Have I that right?
Paul Gross is a good choice for Michael.  Give him a close cropped beard and a shaggier hair style and he'd be good to go.

Other than the bit about Paul Gross, I agree 100 percent. Nathan as Tilly would be awesome but he's just no Michael. And Tom Cruise is way too stuck on himself (even if he does have some cause to be) to play a convincing Michael or Harry. He does well in certain parts (like the fabulous "Knight & Day") but he can't put himself into a humble role to save his life. That cockiness is certainly part of his charm but it also limits what types of roles he can convincingly play. (And I know, Harry is kind of cocky a lot but he is cocky about stuff other than his supreme hotness, which is what Cruise is so cocky about. So its cockiness but its still worlds apart.)
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: October 22, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
Don't worry - I meant that like "the son of a rich executive who just inherited the company." If I had meant something negative, I would have just said "lawyer."  ;) He seems like a nice guy but still not Michael to me. Michael is a high class guy in the sense that he is a good person and an upstanding citizen but he just doesn't scream "corner office" like that actor does with me for some reason.

*snort* I see what you mean. I guess that's where our personal visions diverge; I don't see that in Gross, but I can certainly respect that you do. He IS a little bit of Whitey McWhite, isn't he? ;)