Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1126963 times)

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #2235 on: October 10, 2010, 10:16:57 PM »
I hope that Mal kicks.  His bloody.  @$$!!!!!!!!!
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: October 10, 2010, 10:52:51 PM »
I love Dexter but freaking LOVE MAL!!!   ;D  Mal gets my vote and is kicking bottom!!!
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline MAW

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: October 11, 2010, 12:21:42 AM »

But, but, but...how?  ;) Just curious - did you like both shows? Did you ship Buffy/Angel? or Buffy/Spike? Just curious where it was a case of "love River" or "hate Spike" or something in the middle.  :)
Liked both shows, but the fact that Spike was considered 'relationship material' while he was still a soulless monster is way too creepy for me.  I was always of the faction that stuck with Wheedon's original point, no soul = no capacity for love, only creepy obsession.   :P
"Also, I can kill you with my brain."  -- River Tam; Firefly.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: October 11, 2010, 01:15:20 AM »
Liked both shows, but the fact that Spike was considered 'relationship material' while he was still a soulless monster is way too creepy for me.  I was always of the faction that stuck with Wheedon's original point, no soul = no capacity for love, only creepy obsession.   :P

Okay, I have to agree with you on the whole creepy thing just a bit. I found his advances very interesting even before he had a soul but only after he got his soul back could I truly ship him with Buffy. I know that there are a lot of people who shipped Spike with Buffy regardless of soul status, but he's a cool enough character and that I can ignore the somewhat creepy views of the masses. It's not Spike's fault, after all...and he ended the show - both shows - with his soul so any creepiness has been vindicated for me. I see your point but I can't help loving his character anyway.  ;)
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: October 11, 2010, 05:57:11 PM »
Okay, so I've been thinking about my post and I need to make a revision to what I said. I think whether its creepy or not depends on whether you are an inductive reasoner (starting small and working out to a bigger conclusion) or a deductive reasoner (starting with the big picture and working your way down to the conclusion.) Deductive reasoning says, "Spike has no soul, therefore he cannot be in love," while inductive reasoning looks at some of Spike's behavior in the show and says, "He is clearly in love, therefore somehow, in some way, he must have some spark of something like a soul that allows him to feel." Granted, he is clearly stated not to have a soul yet he also, at times, clearly displays symptoms of love, not just "creepy obsession." Because of that contradition I think either way is a "realistic" view, thus making the "he loves her" view not always creepy.

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: October 12, 2010, 02:40:25 AM »
Just saw a trailer for the new Denzel Washington film about the runaway train.
Chris Pine is the co-star - looks a young version of Paul Blackthorne.  Him for Harry D.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2241 on: October 12, 2010, 03:01:07 AM »
Okay, so I've been thinking about my post and I need to make a revision to what I said. I think whether its creepy or not depends on whether you are an inductive reasoner (starting small and working out to a bigger conclusion) or a deductive reasoner (starting with the big picture and working your way down to the conclusion.) Deductive reasoning says, "Spike has no soul, therefore he cannot be in love," while inductive reasoning looks at some of Spike's behavior in the show and says, "He is clearly in love, therefore somehow, in some way, he must have some spark of something like a soul that allows him to feel." Granted, he is clearly stated not to have a soul yet he also, at times, clearly displays symptoms of love, not just "creepy obsession." Because of that contradition I think either way is a "realistic" view, thus making the "he loves her" view not always creepy.

If it helps, think of the reasoning behind the situation with his mother that we discovered in Season 7. Anne Pratt was ill from TB, then known as consumption. In the 1880s, there was no known cure (there's still not, but strides have been made to temper the illness), so everyone that the then-known William Pratt spoke to told him that his mother was dying. Think about that for a minute -- at the age of 26 or 27 (everyone's still not entirely sure), William was watching his mother die. Slowly. Then, doo-doo-doo, along comes mad-hat Drusilla, and her crazy visions, and her crazy(ER) incesty sires, Darla and Angel(us). Bonk! Angel(us) doesn't watch where he's going and shoves aside a heart-broken, weepy William, who just had his heart ripped out by a bitch of a woman who "doesn't know his worth." Drusilla follows, and after a creepy moment in some stables where Dru talks about burning fishies, and inappropriately fondles Very!Shy!Victorian!William, she tells him that she sees him, who he really is, what he can be -- that he's effulgent. Drusilla tells him that everything he has ever wanted would all be in his hands, if he just tells her yes. William doesn't know WTF she's talking about -- he's just had his heart broken, and then along comes this beautiful but completely cray-cray chick, and she's telling him, in her own weird, roundabout way, that she wants him. William's sick of having his heart trampled. He wants to be wanted, needs to be needed -- in short, he wants what every good man wants: a woman who loves him for just being him. His mother loves him, but she's his mother, it's not the same. He wants to be in love and have a family, and show the world that he can be a good man.

Things don't work out that way. Instead of the Victorian Dream, he gets a vampire as a sire/lover. (There's still some speculation about who actually is Spike's real sire. There's been some theories that Drusilla actually drained him, but Angel(us) came upon them, saw that Dru screwed it up, listened to her bitch and moan, then finally fed his own blood to William just to shut her up.) He's now a turned fledgling, barely days old, when he takes Drusilla back to his house. He's feeling strength he's never felt before -- he's the Six Million Dollar Man -- or a Kanye West song. Either way, he's better than he's ever been, and the inkling of a thought occurs to him -- if he feels this good, and there was nothing wrong with him before, what could stop him from making Anne feel the same way? Poor Anne, who loves him, and who's dying, and who deserves to live more than anyone else he's ever known -- he can turn her. More importantly, he can SAVE her. He can save the one person who has always been there for him, no matter what.

He turns Anne. But he's still only a few days old, and he's not like the other vampires in his "family." He doesn't seem to feel the same pressure of "evil-ness" that the rest of them do. He doesn't understand that the vampiric demon affects everyone differently. Drusilla as a human was innocent -- she was going to be a nun and then was driven insane right before she was turned. The demon took over any mental faculties she might have possessed and made her an out-of-control lunatic. But William... William didn't seem any different. He hasn't really changed. He just feels free. So he thinks the way he feels will be the same way Anne feels. And unfortunately for him, the demon wearing his mother's face takes that opportunity to shatter his heart -- it breaks him, and he does the only thing he can think of -- he dusts her. He would rather have his beloved mother be dust on the ground than to unleash the monster she's become onto the populace. And the memory of what he did to her haunts him to the point that when he finally gains a soul, the big bad of the year can use that memory to manipulate him, and he's none the wiser because of his guilt.

So tell me again that soulless Spike can't feel. :)
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2242 on: October 12, 2010, 03:12:13 AM »
On another note, I still maintain that if we start off with a young dude for Harry, make it Lucas Bryant. Those freaking pictures of him and Emily for Haven -- cripes, it's like looking directly at Harry and Karrin O.O

Matt Lanter for Will (Billy) Borden, Malin Åkerman for Sigrun Gard (or Lasciel, or hell, Lily the Summer Lady. I'm not picky, and Malin is freaking hot.), Shaun Toub for the Gatekeeper, CCH Pounder for Martha Liberty, Wes Studii for Injun Joe, SO MUCH CHRISTOPHER LEE for the Merlin, and Jim Beaver as Ebenezer. I STILL say Mark Sheppard for Nicodemus. He gives me chills :)

Also, it's a horrible role, but I can see Jason Statham as Lloyd Slate. *hides* Please don't hurt me.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: October 12, 2010, 03:27:31 AM »
Misha Collins for Nicodemous
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: October 12, 2010, 03:31:31 AM »
So tell me again that soulless Spike can't feel. :)

Excellent argument! (Poor Spike.) I think the crux of the issue lies in the inconsistency of the way he is written, making you go "well, duh...of course he feels" one minute and then be like "wow, that's creepy" the next. Take episode 5.18 "Intervention" for example. The Buffy-bot is obviously way creepy and, in my opinion, very out of character for the character I consider to be the "real" Spike. But in the very same episode he withstands torture and quite possible death for the sake of protecting Buffy and the people that she cares about, obviously an act of love ("greater love hath no man...".) Whether you consider his relationship as creepy or not overall depends simply on which actions you consider to be the "real" him, (since I feel that both sets of actions cannot truly come from the same person.) Although certain sets of episodes make me lean in the other direction, I feel that ultimately, because his feeling actions and behaviors far outway his creepy actions then I, like you, consider the feeling Spike the "real" Spike. (And thanks for that post! You've helped me sort out some confusion I've struggled with for years about my views on his pre-soul character.)  :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 03:33:07 AM by hatshep2 »

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: October 12, 2010, 03:37:02 AM »
I love Chris Pine but he seems too short to me for the role of Harry. I know he's really 6'1'', not exactly midget, but he doesn't give the right impression of wiry height.

As for Mish as ol' Nic...maybe. He might be a little too young for the role though...or too young looking, anyway. Not sure his actual age. Hi demenor is perfect, though.

*prepares to dodge tomatoes if I continue being such a nay-sayer*

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: October 12, 2010, 03:40:10 AM »
*picks more aerodynamic tomatoes*
Sir  Reginald.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2247 on: October 12, 2010, 04:40:00 AM »
I love Chris Pine but he seems too short to me for the role of Harry. I know he's really 6'1'', not exactly midget, but he doesn't give the right impression of wiry height.

As for Mish as ol' Nic...maybe. He might be a little too young for the role though...or too young looking, anyway. Not sure his actual age. Hi demenor is perfect, though.

*prepares to dodge tomatoes if I continue being such a nay-sayer*

Well.... Misha as Nic might work. Before he knew that Castiel was an angel, the people auditioning him told Misha to portray Castiel as a demon.

I don't remember quite how it went, but I'm pretty sure he ended up being glad he was playing an angel, lol.

MARK SHEPPARD, darn it all.

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2248 on: October 12, 2010, 04:41:05 AM »
(And thanks for that post! You've helped me sort out some confusion I've struggled with for years about my views on his pre-soul character.)  :)

Thank you, thank you, and you're welcome, lol. I'll email you the rest of my thoughts if you like. We're kinda going overboard on the OT posts on this board, lol.

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: October 12, 2010, 04:42:07 AM »
Who cares about OT posts , not me
Sir  Reginald.