Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1126956 times)

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #1860 on: September 14, 2010, 04:36:37 PM »
Kewl, we're still all friends.

Michael Caine for Ronald Reul
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: September 14, 2010, 04:38:51 PM »
Naturally, I wouldn't debate with people that weren't my friends, what would be the point if I don't like them or care what they think.

Did you see I cast Will Smith for Harry ^

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #1862 on: September 14, 2010, 04:42:11 PM »
I did.  I like Will Smith.

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: September 14, 2010, 04:43:17 PM »
ME, TOO!
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Linnemir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: September 14, 2010, 04:59:10 PM »
Haven't trolled thru all 126 pages to check, but what part do people envision for our audio narrator, James Marsters?? He did an incredible job with Spike on Buffy, has a great deal of snark, is tall, and is certainly familiar with the character of Harry?
A mind is a terrible thing to lose ... now, where the heck did I leave mine?

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #1865 on: September 14, 2010, 05:24:32 PM »
He's the voice I hear when I think Harry these days.  I still like Alexis Denisof, but Marsters could do it.

And before anybody says anything about Weatherly, he COULD do it, but I can't picture him in a duster with a staff.  He belongs in a suit.  End of story.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: September 14, 2010, 07:30:04 PM »
Yeah because white people never get a break in holywood...

I want to make it clear that I don't want to offend anybody and that I am decidedly not racist. However, I think the above argument has no place in casting decisions. If JB says Harry is brown haired we're not gonna cast him as a blond...it just doesn't make sense since their are plenty of brown-haired actors who would do a terrific job. And in a Buffy movie remake would we cast Spike as a guy with black hair? Or a Hispanic or an African-American? Would we cast Susan as a blue-eyed blond?
You say "white people never get a break in Hollywood," but the fact is that actors of all ethnicities have plenty of work to find in Hollywood for all kinds of roles.

And I would be equally opposed to seeing say, Jensen Ackles, play Will Smith's role in a remake of MIB. Yes, I think Ackles has the acting skill and style that would fit quite well but the fact still remains that he doesn't have the right look for the part. To me, saying you shouldn't consider ethnicity for a role is like saying you should cast a woman of average appearance to play Aphrodite in some movie about Greek myth. She may have all the acting skill in the world but she just doesn't match.

And as for the racist or result of racism (i.e. blacks weren't allowed to act) practice of face painting, I don't think that applies to discussions of current movie casting practices. And Nick Fury was changed to a black actor in the movies...Will Smith isn't the only black actor getting cast in roles written for a white actor. Plus there's the new Karate Kid.

Anyway, I just had to get all that off my chest. I hope no one was offended by what I said and I assure you that no offence was intended.
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: September 14, 2010, 07:32:50 PM »
I completely think James Marsters for Harry.  It may be from my love of him on Buffy and Angel, or most likely from his reading of the audio books.  He (to me) is the perfect Harry.  Full of snark and wit and he is quite nice to look at!
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: September 14, 2010, 07:34:36 PM »
If JB says Harry is brown haired we're not gonna cast him as a blond...it just doesn't make sense since their are plenty of brown-haired actors who would do a terrific job.

And this my dear is the crux of the argument against the actress who played murphy on TV and why faithful readers failed to connect with her even though she was a quite competent actress in the part.

Murphy is a blond, dammit. It makes a difference for her characters' struggles to be accepted in her workworld that she look completely "cute" and "not to be taken as a serious threat".
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: September 14, 2010, 07:39:33 PM »
Very true MSD.  I could never even begin to picture Murph without blond hair.

I've seen pictures of Marsters with his natural brown hair, looks good and very Harry-like.

~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: September 14, 2010, 07:52:44 PM »
I've seen pictures of Marsters with his natural brown hair, looks good and very Harry-like.

Forgot to mention that...totally agree.  :D
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #1871 on: September 14, 2010, 07:57:09 PM »
Harry for James.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: September 14, 2010, 08:08:30 PM »
Speaking of ruining the part look what they did with bond, a blond bond, completely turned me off to the series.
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1873 on: September 14, 2010, 08:30:24 PM »
Holy crap, I'm away for two days and have to come back to five pages of catch-up. Yeesh.

As someone of Caucasian ethnicity and Middle Eastern background, I refrain from even commenting on any of the previous argument two pages ago. I have a big mouth, which comes complete with Foot-In-Mouth, and I'll get myself in trouble. I'd rather not.

(I like Will Smith, too, just so y'all know. His kids are freaking adorable, too.)

I would <3 James as Harry. One problem -- Harry has a height level of nearly 7 feet tall. James is anywhere from one to three inches shy of six feet. Without some very clever camera angles, and the use of lifts or something when James is on screen, they can't match the height.

As for his hair, he's got a great head of hair. Someone actually wrote a poem about it recently, and even got to read it for him. [[video]] // [[poem]]

BTW, he normally has an afro when he just doesn't care. He's been afflicted with adorable, tightly wound curls since he was a child. You should see the one picture of him from high school that circulates the 'net.

Now that I've said that, here's a picture of him with his hair straight. Looks a wee bit like Harry Connick, Jr., yeah?

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:50:27 PM by tiny[but]fierce »
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: September 14, 2010, 08:33:34 PM »
He is beautiful!  Perfect casting in my eyes!