Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1127144 times)

Offline Ivu

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #1830 on: September 12, 2010, 03:23:06 PM »
Have you never seen Silence of the Lambs?

Nope, Looking him up on IMDB, I've seen Mission Impossible II (which his must have had a very minimal role in, since it says that he was uncredited), The Mask of Zorro, damn... that explains why Zorro was the only movie that I could think of, it's really the only one I've seen... I was sure I'd seen more, pretty sure I own Fracture, though, but I've never watched it.

I don't recall seeing any warrior-ish description of Langtry in the books. He just looked like the wizard's wizard, IIRC.
Not in his physical appearance, or during any of his screen time, but you don't throw up wards to fend off vampires and Outsiders on the fly while retreating though the Nevernever without some pretty good skill in combat magic.

Not sure where this falls in the conversation, but when I close my eyes, I see Kurt Russell as Michael, Will Smith as Sanya, and Pat Morita as Shiro.
I think that Pat Morita as Shiro was discussed before with general approval, but his being dead was a bit of a problem.
Will Smith as Sanya... I don't know, I really don't think I could take him seriously with a Russian accent. Although I do recall Jim saying (presumably jokingly) that he though Will could pull off Harry personality well, but that he'd need to lose a fair bit of muscle.

Offline Araris Dresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: September 12, 2010, 06:49:34 PM »
Nope, Looking him up on IMDB, I've seen Mission Impossible II (which his must have had a very minimal role in, since it says that he was uncredited), The Mask of Zorro, damn... that explains why Zorro was the only movie that I could think of, it's really the only one I've seen... I was sure I'd seen more, pretty sure I own Fracture, though, but I've never watched it.

I never felt that 30 was old until now.....

Just watch SoL. That is his definitive creepy role.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: September 13, 2010, 05:49:59 AM »
His name came up on another thread.
What about Avery Brooks for Morgan?  He does menace very well.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #1833 on: September 13, 2010, 03:22:45 PM »
Mmm.  Oded Fehr.  Remember in The Mummy when the plane crashed, and he stumbled around, then took off that stupid flying hat and shook out that hair?  I fell in love.

Then he cut it.  Men with hair like that should be forbidden by law from cutting it.  Men with nasty hair can cut it, men with beautiful hair should never.

Sorry, where were we?
Hehe...what I remember about that scene isn't so much the hair, it's that he pulls the machine gun off the plane to take with him.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: September 13, 2010, 03:52:10 PM »
Hehe...what I remember about that scene isn't so much the hair, it's that he pulls the machine gun off the plane to take with him.

Heh... Mummy 2, the line "No thank you, I prefer the Thompson..."

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #1835 on: September 13, 2010, 06:01:58 PM »

Yes indeed.
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #1836 on: September 13, 2010, 09:31:39 PM »
His name came up on another thread.
What about Avery Brooks for Morgan?  He does menace very well.

Depends on how faithful you want to be to the books...

"He was a big man, over six feet, with plenty of muscle—and he was completely limp...tall, heavily muscled, with a lean, sunken face I'd always associated with religious ascetics and half-crazy artists. He had brown hair that was unevenly streaked with iron, and a beard that, while always kept trimmed, perpetually seemed to need a few more weeks to fill out. He had hard, steady eyes, and all the comforting, reassuring charm of a dental drill."

Not sure where in the books it is, but I got the impression that Morgan was Caucasian, Conrad Coates' performance as Warden Morgan notwithstanding.

November 15, 2008-A day that will live in infamy...let's hope I'm not in the hospital THIS birthday!!!
Ah done an' went an' gots me a WEBSITE, y'all!!!
www.photoshoplifterdan.com

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: September 13, 2010, 10:38:28 PM »
Depends on how faithful you want to be to the books...

"He was a big man, over six feet, with plenty of muscle—and he was completely limp...tall, heavily muscled, with a lean, sunken face I'd always associated with religious ascetics and half-crazy artists. He had brown hair that was unevenly streaked with iron, and a beard that, while always kept trimmed, perpetually seemed to need a few more weeks to fill out. He had hard, steady eyes, and all the comforting, reassuring charm of a dental drill."

Not sure where in the books it is, but I got the impression that Morgan was Caucasian, Conrad Coates' performance as Warden Morgan notwithstanding.

I totally agree with you about his being from a Caucasian ethnic background. As for the description, I always picture him somewhat ruggedly hansome, in spite of Harry's description. I think Harry was just a bit biased so I don't really take his censure of Morgan's appearance very seriously. Harry is petty like that.  ;)
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #1838 on: September 13, 2010, 11:03:22 PM »
I keep imagining the Merlin to look very much like Sir Ian McKellen. I blame Gandalf. *sigh*
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: September 14, 2010, 12:41:00 AM »
I see christopher lee myself.
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #1840 on: September 14, 2010, 01:09:06 AM »
I see christopher lee myself.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
November 15, 2008-A day that will live in infamy...let's hope I'm not in the hospital THIS birthday!!!
Ah done an' went an' gots me a WEBSITE, y'all!!!
www.photoshoplifterdan.com

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: September 14, 2010, 02:09:24 AM »
I totally agree with you about his being from a Caucasian ethnic background. As for the description, I always picture him somewhat ruggedly hansome, in spite of Harry's description. I think Harry was just a bit biased so I don't really take his censure of Morgan's appearance very seriously. Harry is petty like that.  ;)

I thought I remember somewhere that Morgan is described as having dark skin.  I think it was in Storm Front somewhere.  Anyway, it was my understanding from the start that he was not Caucasian.  But, I could be wrong.

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: September 14, 2010, 03:28:55 AM »
No, Morgan was played by a black man in the television show. I don't think he's described as such in the books. It was kind of a bone of contention for cannon purists at the time.
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline dwilson1282

• Conversationalist
  • Bo-effin-yah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: September 14, 2010, 12:52:38 PM »
Yeah because white people never get a break in holywood...
http://risingdragonmma.net/index.htm

As you file to your escape pods
I'll distract the alien hordes
And as I stare death in the face
I know my sins will take me to hell...

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: September 14, 2010, 01:49:16 PM »
Here is the graphic novel image of what Morgan is suppose to look like.

Morgan had long grey hair pulled back in a ponytail, and a craggy face with a perpetually grim, often sour expression. He was apparently Germanic in origin.

But there is another description of him too.

[from Turn Coat]
My first impression of the guy had stuck with me pretty hard—tall, heavily muscled, with a lean, sunken face I'd always associated with religious ascetics and half-crazy artists. He had brown hair that was unevenly streaked with iron, and a beard that, while always kept trimmed, perpetually seemed to need a few more weeks to fill out. He had hard, steady eyes, and all the comforting, reassuring charm of a dental drill.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 02:21:55 PM by MoSeS_ »