Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1127218 times)

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #1815 on: September 11, 2010, 05:47:27 PM »
Not sure where this falls in the conversation, but when I close my eyes, I see Kurt Russell as Michael, Will Smith as Sanya, and Pat Morita as Shiro.

Hm...maybe this is just coming from seeing the old Kurt Russell college movies when I was a kid but I totally don't see him as Michael. I've seen him in more recent things too ("Posiedon" and "Sky High") and I just don't get the kind of sincerity and quiet strength that makes Michael so appealing.
As for Will Smith as Sanya, it conjures up a totally hilarious image (hearing Smith saying "Daaamn...tiny but fierce" with one of his adorably comical looks is not an image I will forget in a hurry.) Not Sanya to me but awesome.  :D
And as for Pat Morita, this is exactly how I picture Shiro as well. I've never conciously thought "he looks like Pat Morita," I've just kind of taken that fact for granted in my head.
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: September 11, 2010, 08:36:40 PM »
Hm...maybe this is just coming from seeing the old Kurt Russell college movies when I was a kid but I totally don't see him as Michael. I've seen him in more recent things too ("Posiedon" and "Sky High") and I just don't get the kind of sincerity and quiet strength that makes Michael so appealing.
As for Will Smith as Sanya, it conjures up a totally hilarious image (hearing Smith saying "Daaamn...tiny but fierce" with one of his adorably comical looks is not an image I will forget in a hurry.) Not Sanya to me but awesome.  :D
And as for Pat Morita, this is exactly how I picture Shiro as well. I've never conciously thought "he looks like Pat Morita," I've just kind of taken that fact for granted in my head.

Michael is still Paul Gross as Benton Fraser in Due South:

Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: September 11, 2010, 10:50:01 PM »
I dunno, I guess the closest I can get to Michael is a slightly younger Russell Crowe.

But not quite.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1818 on: September 11, 2010, 11:39:21 PM »
I dunno, I guess the closest I can get to Michael is a slightly younger Russell Crowe.

But not quite.

Yikes.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: September 11, 2010, 11:47:21 PM »
Yeah, it's not quite.  The squinty eyes thing is all wrong.  But if I had to cast someone, he'd get it.  He's got the ability to be calm, quiet, and still powerful and intimidating.  He looks like he's been through it, and we know he can handle a sword, but I can also see him in a house full of kids, working on the treehouse.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1820 on: September 12, 2010, 12:11:54 AM »
I still like Viggo Mortensen for the role. Viggo makes me think safety, and that's the sense I always get whenever I think of Michael.

ETA: Am watching LoTR: The Two Towers right now. Gandalf just came back. Viggo is cementing my belief in him as Michael.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 12:48:51 AM by tiny[but]fierce »
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: September 12, 2010, 12:50:27 AM »
I still like Viggo Mortensen for the role. Viggo makes me think safety, and that's the sense I always get whenever I think of Michael.

ETA: Am watching LoTR: The Two Towers right now. Gandalf just came back. Viggo is cementing my belief in him as Michael.

Doesn't have my vote for Michael but that is the only thing I don't approve of that has anything to do with him. Love him!!!!  ;D
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: September 12, 2010, 12:54:11 AM »
Seriously, folks, watch a couple of episodes of Due South and you'll be converts.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1823 on: September 12, 2010, 01:54:29 AM »
Seriously, folks, watch a couple of episodes of Due South and you'll be converts.

Forgive me, Shecky, I'm young. What the hell is Due South?

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: September 12, 2010, 01:59:41 AM »
Forgive me, Shecky, I'm young. What the hell is Due South?

A weird little variant on the typical cop show, in which one partner is an actual Mountie and the other is a sterotypical undercover cop.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1825 on: September 12, 2010, 02:16:39 AM »
A weird little variant on the typical cop show, in which one partner is an actual Mountie and the other is a sterotypical undercover cop.

Ah. So it's half-Canadian? Does it poke fun at itself, or is it a serious show, along the lines of a procedural cop show a la CSI?

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: September 12, 2010, 02:18:43 AM »
Ah. So it's half-Canadian? Does it poke fun at itself, or is it a serious show, along the lines of a procedural cop show a la CSI?

Both. Drama but quirky, with nice broad strokes of some surprisingly smart comedy.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: September 12, 2010, 02:22:37 AM »
Both. Drama but quirky, with nice broad strokes of some surprisingly smart comedy.

I loved that show, Shecky.  Particularly watching the Chicago cop trying to deal with Mister Upright and clean the Mountie.
And no matter that they went into a sewer to do something - Fraiser, the mountie, would always emerge clean and unruffled much to the Chicago cops displeasure.  It was a pleasure to watch.
As for Paul Gross as Michael.  Hmm, hadn't thought of that.  I'd say he was too young but then there's always makeup and he does do that quiet strength thing VERY WELL.  Okay, ya got my vote on that one Shecky.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1828 on: September 12, 2010, 02:34:54 AM »
I don't usually enjoy cop shows, but I'll give this one a shot. Thanks for the referral, Shecky :)

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline DoTArchon

• Posty McPostington
  • Lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: September 12, 2010, 11:44:30 AM »
(snip)
Morgan-- Alan Rickman    You need menace.  the problem is that before Turn Coat Morgan has few dimensions.
(snip)
Nicodemus -- Christoph Waltz--- have you seen inglorious basterds?   
(snip)

Sorry, but I gotta go with Alan Rickman as Nicodemus. Saw this post and it just clicked.