Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1126803 times)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #1695 on: September 01, 2010, 12:54:08 PM »
*looks at the scruff on Ian Somerholder*
*looks at Shecky*
*looks at the scruff again*
*looks back to Shecky*
*snort of disgust*

Dwarfs.

SOMEBODY GOT IT!

... seriously, though, that chick should wax.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: September 01, 2010, 01:36:22 PM »
Guh, no. "Perfect casting" includes higher-end acting ability. :D

Mendez. Johanssen hasn't shown me much, but Mendez comes across like she's imitating someone else. YMMV.

For once I completely agree with Shecky.

I believe I may have expressed may distaste for Eva Mendez awhile back when the subject of Ghost Rider came up somewhere.

I think... I think I'm going to have to support the Ian Somerhalder crowd for Thomas.  I'm sorry, Matt Bomer's just too Pretty Boy.  He's not predatory enough to pull off a vampire.  Charming, yes.  Swashbuckling, yes.  Predatory, no.

Now, I know Ian Somerhalder is already playing a vampire but we can pretend that didn't happen, can't we? He'd need to put in some serious gym time, maybe get with Ryan Reynolds' coach, if he wants to play the guy described as the god of Bowflex, but he's got the rest of the look down pat.

And yes, I know I liked wrestler boy, too, but I know Ian Somerhalder can act the part.  So ... He's my #1 pick, for now.  Wrestler boy gets bumped to #2.

FTW, I have been on the fence about Bomer, but this guy here definitely looks the part.

I haven't watched Vampire Diaries so I don't know if it's any good, I imagine it's something like Dawson's Creek w/ Vampires.

But I have been watching The Gates which probably isn't any better.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: September 01, 2010, 02:17:06 PM »
Doesn't matter how small the roles are but you should post those ideas in the Perfect Casting thread.

Personally I thought Morena Baccarin would make a decent Susan.

The Raiths do have dark hair, but I don't think they look foreign, and Morena can pass for Hispanic even tho she is Brazilian.

For Lara I picture Famke Janssen.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 02:20:56 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: September 01, 2010, 02:48:51 PM »
Leave the manscara and lipstick off and tell him to quit pouting, and I'll accept it. Barely. Bomer is still hands-down my pick. He doesn't look as androgynous.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: September 01, 2010, 03:06:27 PM »
Leave the manscara and lipstick off and tell him to quit pouting, and I'll accept it. Barely. Bomer is still hands-down my pick. He doesn't look as androgynous.

What if it's Texas Chainsaw Mascara?

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: September 01, 2010, 03:29:20 PM »

The first pic is one of a younger Ian, and the only one that's emo-y.  I threw it in there to show how he looks with black hair.  I admit, I don't see androgyny when I look at Ian Somerholder, but I gather most people don't look at Bomer and see wholesome whitebread like I do, either. 
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: September 01, 2010, 03:34:54 PM »
To my eye, Bomer's over-the-top prettyboyishness is a result of costuming, hair and makeup artists' work. I think he could look predatorish with only minor effort... and he doesn't look feminine.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1702 on: September 01, 2010, 07:30:08 PM »
To my eye, Bomer's over-the-top prettyboyishness is a result of costuming, hair and makeup artists' work. I think he could look predatorish with only minor effort... and he doesn't look feminine.

For what it's worth, as I am ridiculously gung-ho for PRO-BOMER-AS-THOMAS, Shecky is now my hero.

Shecky, if I recall correctly, isn't Bomer also Priscellie's pick for Thomas? I only ask because I follow the Dresden Cast RP twitter accounts, and I know that the picture for "Thomas's" account is Bomer. (I have no idea who actually "plays" Thomas. Whoever does, though = awesome.)
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1703 on: September 01, 2010, 07:31:12 PM »
What if it's Texas Chainsaw Mascara?

*blinks*

Wow. That was awful, lol.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1704 on: September 01, 2010, 07:43:55 PM »
I'm still torn between three great choices for Binder: Mark Sheppard, Tim Roth, and Eddie Izzard would all be excellent in the role.

As Binder is a very small role -- he's only in one book (so far, anyway) -- I would hate for Mark Sheppard to be cast in that role. Because he's pretty much magic, on any screen he's been on, and to only have him once is just a waste of his wonderful talent. (also, he has a habit of stealing the show when he's on screen, so to cast him once as Binder might not be beneficial for the movie -- especially if Master Jim doesn't currently plan on bringing him back.) This is why Sheppard is my pick for Nicodemus. He does quietly scary, smarmy, evil very well.

As for Tim Roth, I've never seen any of his movies, and I've only seen one episode of Lie To Me, so I definitely haven't seen enough of his skills to make a judgment call on that.

AND I LOVE EDDIE IZZARD. I would be thrilled if he were cast in any way, shape, or form. And as Binder is a Cockney mercenary/thug/thief/etc., I think Izzard would pull it off fantastically. He was great in The Riches. And that was with an AMERICAN inflection.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:45:58 PM by tiny[but]fierce »

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: September 01, 2010, 07:49:15 PM »
AND I LOVE EDDIE IZZARD. I would be thrilled if he were cast in any way, shape, or form. And as Binder is a Cockney mercenary/thug/thief/etc., I think Izzard would pull it off fantastically. He was great in The Riches. And that was with an AMERICAN inflection.

The fact that The Riches comes to mind when you think of Eddie Izzard tells me either you are young or you don't love him as much as you think.  ;)
He has been around a long time, and The Riches is one of his lesser accomplishments IMO. I know I am not that much older than you, but I remember watching his old stand up comedy.

He would make a good Binder, but I think he would also make a great Bob if the do a body form for him again.

I wouldn't mind Mark Sheppard as Binder. I only know Sheppard from Supernatural tho, which wasn't that much, like 3 or 4 eps I think.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:55:41 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: September 01, 2010, 07:54:57 PM »
My personal vote for Nic's casting goes to Martin Cummins, hands down. He played the bad guy in season 2 of "Dark Angel" (incidentally the same show that Harry nominee Michael Weatherly, not to mention the amazing Jensen Ackles, got his start.) He plays evil to perfection.  ;)
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #1707 on: September 01, 2010, 09:03:26 PM »
My vote for Nic remains Anthony Hopkins, thank you.  I'm a fan of the Hannibal Lechter on crack idea.
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1708 on: September 01, 2010, 09:30:58 PM »
The fact that The Riches comes to mind when you think of Eddie Izzard tells me either you are young or you don't love him as much as you think.  ;)
He has been around a long time, and The Riches is one of his lesser accomplishments IMO. I know I am not that much older than you, but I remember watching his old stand up comedy.

He would make a good Binder, but I think he would also make a great Bob if the do a body form for him again.

I wouldn't mind Mark Sheppard as Binder. I only know Sheppard from Supernatural tho, which wasn't that much, like 3 or 4 eps I think.

I'm 25. I recall watching his stand up comedy as well, but I didn't think that the standup was quite the example of "morally corrupt degenerate" that I was quite going for (which is impressive, given that at the time, he was actively crossdressing). The Riches is fairly recent by standards, especially in Izzard's very long career, but it IS the most recent example that will resonate with younger people, as the show ran in 2008, and in that his character is the head of a family that stole another family's identity after inadvertently killing them in a car accident. And as long as he consults with Master Jim on Bob's voice, I'm all for it.

As for Mark Sheppard, he's had a fairly large career as well -- he usually only guest stars on shows, but his resume is ridiculously long. Watch some of his guest stints on Leverage -- he's originally an agent at an insurance company, portrayed as a foil to Tim Hutton's fantastic Nate Ford (the two are enemies in that his character, Jim Sterling, is originally Ford's rival at the insurance company they both worked at), and by the end of the second season, as an agent for Interpol, he's determined to bring Nate and his team to justice. He's delicious in the sense that you want to bludgeon him every time he pulls one over on another character, and yet you also want to fall on the floor laughing, because he's just so awesomely evil.

Mark Sheppard Wikipedia

I would also consider him for Marcone... if only he could rid himself of the accent  :-\

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: September 02, 2010, 12:39:49 AM »
I think... I think I'm going to have to support the Ian Somerhalder crowd for Thomas. 
Now, I know Ian Somerhalder is already playing a vampire but we can pretend that didn't happen, can't we? He'd need to put in some serious gym time, maybe get with Ryan Reynolds' coach, if he wants to play the guy described as the god of Bowflex, but he's got the rest of the look down pat.

It's just hilarious to me that he's being suggested as a vampire since my sister and I have been saying he should play a vampire for years. (And just for the record, we were talking about vampires well before Stephanie Meyer made them hip and turned the entire American teen-aged girl population - myself and my sister excluded - into Robert Pattinson groupies.) Then he finally got picked up as a vampire in Vampire Diaries but I'm still not happy happy about it. From what I've seen his talent is being wasted there. (Plus, I wanted to see him play a good vampire that we wanted our heroine to get with.)

Anyway, I strongly disagree with anyone who says he's not masculine enough. He's not buff, sure but he still comes across very strong. (I agree though that he'd need to hit the gym to play Thomas.) I have to admit, I'm not sure who I'd rather for Thomas, Ian Somerhalder or Matt Bomer.

And for those saying Bomer is too pretty-boy, you've only seen him in "Whitecollar," I'm guessing. Check him out in "Tru Calling," episodes of "Chuck," and "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" if you want to see a wider range of his acting. Remember, he is acting. He's just pulls off his pretty boy role so well that everybody assumes that's just him.
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy