Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1126895 times)

Offline kennedy_c

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #1590 on: August 21, 2010, 07:46:38 PM »
My suggestion for Lohan was very much tongue-in-cheek also - but I do think she is frickin' crazy enough!

BTW-  the actress with Lucas Bryant from 'Haven' is Emily Rose (5' 4")

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: August 22, 2010, 04:36:24 AM »
My suggestion for Lohan was very much tongue-in-cheek also - but I do think she is frickin' crazy enough!

BTW-  the actress with Lucas Bryant from 'Haven' is Emily Rose (5' 4")

The pictures didn't come through to me for some reason so I looked her up. I've never seen her act but she looks cool for Maeve...some of the pics I saw even had a very Maeve-ish smile. She could totally work.  :)
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline LordDresden

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: August 22, 2010, 05:19:11 AM »
I never thought much about this, but Harry would have lived longer because he is a wizard, but would he age normally.

I think there was a discussion about this already where it was stated that one of the wizards that was 100 something years old looked like he was 100 something years old.

So I guess at 40 he would look 40, and so on.

No, it's not quite that way.  We know that they age fairly normally at first, Harry and Elaine grew to adulthood at the same pace as normal kids, for ex, and now Harry has commented that he needs more sleep than he once did, for ex, and has to work harder to stay fit, he's approaching middle age and beginning to feel it.  We've also see that Morgan was still in excellent fighting shape at 100+, and
(click to show/hide)

So my take on is that what Wizards get is a lllloooooonnnnnnngggggggggg period of late youth/early middle age, aging very gradually after the first relatively normal period of childhood and early adulthood.  (It probably also helps if you start with the magic at an early age, like Harry/Elaine.)

I wouldn't be surprised if 'old age' is also brief (i.e. no longer than for us) for Wizards, when it finally sets it in earnest.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 05:23:01 AM by LordDresden »

Offline LordDresden

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: August 22, 2010, 05:26:19 AM »
So that basically reinforces for us fans of seeing a younger actor play Harry, than a lot of the old guys that are being suggested.  :P

To fit the role in Storm Front time, the actor needs to be a 20-something in OK shape, to look right for Changes, he needs to be a late 30/early 40 ish actor in excellent shape, but kind of battered looking.

(Harry was not in the best of physical condition in the early days, at one point he is embarrassed that Michael, 20 or more years older than he is, is barely breathing hard after exertions that leave Harry gasping.  That was when he started running a lot.)

Offline godlessgoth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: August 22, 2010, 01:46:34 PM »
This was probably already brought up but as Ebenezer Mccoy
I was thinking about this guy Kris Kristofferson he seems the right age for Ebenezer.

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #1595 on: August 22, 2010, 01:48:01 PM »
This was probably already brought up but as Ebenezer Mccoy
I was thinking about this guy Kris Kristofferson he seems the right age for Ebenezer.

he looks good for Eb.
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: August 22, 2010, 03:30:29 PM »
Eb should be played by the dude. the black staff is Jeff bridges
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: August 22, 2010, 03:46:03 PM »
Nah. Robert Duvall.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: August 22, 2010, 03:47:35 PM »
*puts on chris voice* ROBERT DUVALL!
ya but seriously he is awesome

Offline jbigelow22

• Participant
  • Bob knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: August 23, 2010, 12:48:50 AM »
Eb should be played by the dude. the black staff is Jeff bridges
Maybe the Dude could play Morgan? He can play 'bad *ss' if you watch Iron Man.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: August 23, 2010, 12:49:55 AM »
dude, he doesnt have to play Bad a** he just is.

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #1601 on: August 23, 2010, 02:04:40 AM »
doesn't have to look bad*ss for Eb. he just has to act like it, lol
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: August 23, 2010, 02:10:22 AM »
He is the dude, he doesnt have to act bad azz, he just is

Offline LordDresden

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: August 23, 2010, 03:32:22 AM »
He doesn't look anything like the textual description, but due to imprinting in my childhood, and the fact that we're talking about the rural South (albeit not the same part of it), I can't help put associate Ebenezar in my mind with Uncle Jesse, from the old Dukes of Hazzard TV show.

A few things make the association in my mind.  In the voiceover to the very first episode, Waylon Jennings (the narrator) says of Uncle Jesse that as head of the Duke family, 'he's always obeyed, usually out of love.  But always obeyed."  He's cantankerous, stubborn, and loving, he took in Bo and Luke as children when their relatives died, and his CB handle is 'shepherd' and the boys are 'lost sheep'.  He wasn't always law-abiding, but he had a strong moral sense, and knew how things worked.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1604 on: August 23, 2010, 04:02:14 AM »
He doesn't look anything like the textual description, but due to imprinting in my childhood, and the fact that we're talking about the rural South (albeit not the same part of it), I can't help put associate Ebenezar in my mind with Uncle Jesse, from the old Dukes of Hazzard TV show.

A few things make the association in my mind.  In the voiceover to the very first episode, Waylon Jennings (the narrator) says of Uncle Jesse that as head of the Duke family, 'he's always obeyed, usually out of love.  But always obeyed."  He's cantankerous, stubborn, and loving, he took in Bo and Luke as children when their relatives died, and his CB handle is 'shepherd' and the boys are 'lost sheep'.  He wasn't always law-abiding, but he had a strong moral sense, and knew how things worked.

Awwww! I grew up with that show, too! It was literally a family affair -- my great uncle actually lived in the real Hazzard County for the longest time, and my dad and my brother started watching the show out of reverence to that fact. When I was old enough, I watched it with them, too :) Uncle Jesse was my favorite character. Such a shame that Denver Pyle is gone now :(

And as much as I like Willie Nelson, I wouldn't recommend him as the Jesse/Ebenezar hybrid.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.