Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1127015 times)

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #1575 on: August 20, 2010, 03:55:11 PM »
I could see it if she tanned and bronzed up for the part, right now she just doesn't quite fit my mental image of Susan.  Now my favorite for Susan would probably be everyone's favorite deputy, Erica Cerra, but I'm positive she's been brought up before.

...I brought her up. :p

I knew I'd seen the name mentioned here! :) Great call. I haven't seen her act so I'll have to take your word for it in that department but she's got the look for sure. Sultry, looks generally like the right ethnic background (but I guess that is kind of controversial right now so I didn't say that ;)) and looks like she could
(click to show/hide)
I have to say she is probably the most solidly cast in my mind...I should have looked her up sooner. Post your full list of casting choices and I'll look them up when I have time. (I just started college so be warned, we're looking at a few days at least.)  ;)

my current definite and solid cast in my head would be:

Harry - Michael Weatherly

Susan - Sarah Shahi

Thomas - Matt Bomer

(uh, yeah, I just like looking at him, lol. xD)
Marcone - Mark Harmon

...that's about it for now. haven't found my definite Murphy and Michael yet.
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: August 20, 2010, 04:34:51 PM »
I am leaning more toward Movie Actors than TV Actors because my idea of a perfect cast would be geared toward a Silver Screen version and not another TV Show version.

I am no actor myself, but there are tons of debates especially from acting school attendees about the difference in Acting for Television, Film, and Theater.

Personally, I have always felt there is a difference between them.

However there are always exceptions,
though for me, most of those have been within the last 5 years.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 05:01:55 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1577 on: August 20, 2010, 04:50:41 PM »
So that basically reinforces for us fans of seeing a younger actor play Harry, than a lot of the old guys that are being suggested.  :P

haha, yeah, more or less. Harry is going to appear to age normally until he MAYBE hits 40, by which point, his physiology is going to slow down. He might not even appear to actually look like he's in his 60s until he's well into his first century and a half.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: August 20, 2010, 11:30:33 PM »
my current definite and solid cast in my head would be:

Harry - Michael Weatherly
Susan - Sarah Shahi
Thomas - Matt Bomer
(uh, yeah, I just like looking at him, lol. xD)
Marcone - Mark Harmon

...that's about it for now. haven't found my definite Murphy and Michael yet.

I have to say you have very good tastes. I'm still making up my mind about Michael Weatherly (basically clearing my head of preconcieved notions I got from Dark Angel) but I am kind of liking him for the role. Like I said, Sarah Shahi is spot on for Susan! Your casting for Thomas is...well, he's Matt Bomer - what else can I say? ;D And I must say Mark Harmon is excellent. I would not have thought of him (NCIS is not a regualr show I watch) but I think he's got the kind of presence that Marcone would have. Granted, he seems a little too old for me but even so I think he could do a very respectably job.
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: August 20, 2010, 11:35:16 PM »
i would be fine with a t.v show or doing something like they did with the stand. but damn it i want at least two books a season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline kennedy_c

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: August 20, 2010, 11:41:21 PM »
Okay - Like Mark Sheppard for Nicodemus (he even looks like a smarmy @sshole)

Was thinking that Hayden Panettiere could make a good Murph. . .if she was older (she has even studied martial arts)

A few more new ones:

Sean Blakemore as Sanya
Katee Sackhoff as Charity
Christina Hendricks as Lea

Lindsay Lohan as Maeve (she wouldn't really have to act much)

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #1581 on: August 21, 2010, 12:39:32 AM »
I am leaning more toward Movie Actors than TV Actors because my idea of a perfect cast would be geared toward a Silver Screen version and not another TV Show version.

I am no actor myself, but there are tons of debates especially from acting school attendees about the difference in Acting for Television, Film, and Theater.

Personally, I have always felt there is a difference between them.

However there are always exceptions,
though for me, most of those have been within the last 5 years.

well yeah, there's this, but I've always thought that most of movie actors are far too recognizable, and I don't want anyone recognizable for DF - but ones with acting experience. :)

and thanks, hatshep2! :D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 01:15:09 AM by Jaeh »
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: August 21, 2010, 01:05:35 AM »
Actually, that's mostly a myth these days.  Women earn less in the aggregate than men by some measures, but when you adjust for number of hours worked and compare the same job to the same job, the gap mostly vanishes.

No. Women who take time off to raise kids (slackers!) often make less, but all things being equal, men still get paid more. And just look at the disparities in numbers. How many women run Fortune 500 companies or are on boards of directors at major financial institutions? Men prefer to hire men for business.

Again, not true, that law simply doesn't say that.  The law might be a good or a bad idea, but the popular idea of it produced by the news coverage and political spinning is totally fallacious.

Actually I think it's pretty close to the federal law, which wasn't enforced. It may be the more likely enforcement  possibilities are what drives the emotional response.

And Judy Garland didn't look like a 14 year old in the Wizard of Oz, either. (or was Dorothy 12 in the books?)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 01:07:58 AM by snowbound »
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1583 on: August 21, 2010, 01:09:37 AM »
Okay - Like Mark Sheppard for Nicodemus (he even looks like a smarmy @sshole)

Thank you! And thank Bluebeard, too, lol. It was Bluebeard's idea in the first place.

Was thinking that Hayden Panettiere could make a good Murph. . .if she was older (she has even studied martial arts)

Which is why I originally wanted (and still do want, tbh) Sarah Michelle Gellar. She actually is the same age now as Murphy is at the beginning of the books, and she has also studied martial arts (she's a black belt in Taikwondo which, granted, is worlds away from her being a seasoned aikidōka, but she is a trained martial artist, and once you have the basic discipline down, she wouldn't have much trouble applying the disciplines, albeit in a different way, toward aikido)

A few more new ones:

Sean Blakemore as Sanya
Katee Sackhoff as Charity
Christina Hendricks as Lea

Lindsay Lohan as Maeve (she wouldn't really have to act much)

Sean Blakemore -- Spot on. Wow. I was beginning to despair of ever finding Sanya :( This guy looks awesome. He's exactly how I pictured Sanya... But can he do a Russian accent?

Katee Sackhoff -- I've never seen her act. Sorry :-\ Does she look like a woman that builds her husband's weapons, sword fights with him, and used to rebuild motorcycles?

Christina Hendricks -- Holy crap! I can DEFINITELY see this woman as a psychopathic magic-wielding, violent Sidhe!

And Lohan as Maeve? Yeah, why not? She's got the cat-like eyes. Plus, Maeve is pretty much a bloodthirsty horndog. That's, like, Lohan's lifetime achievement.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: August 21, 2010, 01:16:44 AM »
Katee Sackoff was Starbuck in the new Battlestar Galactica. She can do physical strength in a very compelling way.
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: August 21, 2010, 02:34:02 AM »
Sean Blakemore -- Spot on. Wow. I was beginning to despair of ever finding Sanya :( This guy looks awesome. He's exactly how I pictured Sanya... But can he do a Russian accent?

Christina Hendricks -- Holy crap! I can DEFINITELY see this woman as a psychopathic magic-wielding, violent Sidhe!

And Lohan as Maeve? Yeah, why not? She's got the cat-like eyes. Plus, Maeve is pretty much a bloodthirsty horndog. That's, like, Lohan's lifetime achievement.

Sean Blakemore looks exactly how I picure Sanya! He has my vote for sure!!! Christina Hendricks, a perfect Sidhe. (She is being suggested for Leah, not Mab, right?) I'm afraid I can't agree if the Lohan you are talking about is Lindsay Lohan. She has no shred of dignity or professionalism left to her name, might wind up in jail for drug possession (or DUI, or whatever) while they're trying to film the movie, and has no sex appeal now that she's become a drugged up crackhead. Not saying I have someone in mind for her - she is a very hard character to cast - just that I really couldn't approve of Lohan in anything. But I would almost take her as Maeve if that would assure Sean Blackmore the role of Sanya. He is that awesome! ;)

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1586 on: August 21, 2010, 03:52:12 AM »
Sean Blakemore looks exactly how I picure Sanya! He has my vote for sure!!! Christina Hendricks, a perfect Sidhe. (She is being suggested for Leah, not Mab, right?)

LOL, yes, she is being suggested for Lea.

I'm afraid I can't agree if the Lohan you are talking about is Lindsay Lohan.

It is, and it was incredibly dry sarcasm I used, lol. That fool would probably start a fight with a studio exec if she found out she had to wear her hair in glacier-colored dreads.

He is that awesome! ;)

He is indeed!

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1587 on: August 21, 2010, 04:00:03 AM »
On a random note, what do you all think of Matt Lanter (below) as Will Borden? He's the voice of Anakin Skywalker on Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series, and he's the lead actor in that Twilight mockery, Vampires Suck, as Edward Sullen (*snickers*). Plus, he plays Liam Court on 90210... which I'm not keen on, but hey, he voices Anakin, which is nifty, so I forgive him.

(just so y'all know, he has my vote, especially since he was born 30 minutes away from my hometown in Ohio. Same county, even :) )

« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 04:02:54 AM by tiny[but]fierce »

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline j3nnee

• Posty McPostington
  • Has the gift
    • View Profile
    • Blue Girl Graphics
« Reply #1588 on: August 21, 2010, 04:32:30 AM »
I just watched my first episode of "the glades" and maybe it was the whole "moving from Chicago" bit that got me but the main guy played by Matt Passmore (he's Australian) made me think he could maybe pull off Harry. He's 6 ft and has some snark I think. I found him rather interesting. Almost tempted now to start recording the show cause it wasn't half bad. :D

But that's my two cents or something...

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: August 21, 2010, 03:15:52 PM »
LOL, yes, she is being suggested for Lea.

It is, and it was incredibly dry sarcasm I used, lol. That fool would probably start a fight with a studio exec if she found out she had to wear her hair in glacier-colored dreads.

He is indeed!

Thank God!Lol! I really should have known you had to be joking, especially given your other awesome castings. (But, then again, there are some crazy ideas out there.) ;)
And as for Matt Lanter...cute! I'd never really seen or heard of him before (unless the "Vampires Suck" commercial playing on TV as I sort of watched counts) but I think he would be a great Will. (I always forget to mention him as one of the appealing guys in DF - in my list with Thomas, Michael, and Harry - but he is certainly one of my favorite characters.)
As for Matt Passmore as Harry, I'll have to look him up. Attitude is so important when casting someone with such a um...unique personality. ;)