Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1126895 times)

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #1515 on: August 18, 2010, 06:43:25 PM »
Susan?

(Sarah Shahi from Life (tv show). :D)

Could work, but I am on the fence because she is Iranian and Spanish which is a far cry from Central or South American.

IMO I think the actors should authentically fit the characters as much as possible, including ethnic background.

Not saying they have to because plenty of actors play other nationalities.
Hugh Jackman, Gerard Butler, Collin Ferrell, etc.
And you also have the americanized actors like Mila Kunis who is essentially Russian/Ukrainian but is considered an American Actress.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 06:52:36 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: August 18, 2010, 06:50:25 PM »
Could work, but I am on the fence because she is Iranian and Spanish which is a far cry from Central or South American.

IMO I think the actors should authentically fit the characters as much as possible.

That runs the risk of stereotyping. Why not just have the general appearance match the description and leave it at that?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: August 18, 2010, 07:03:12 PM »
That runs the risk of stereotyping. Why not just have the general appearance match the description and leave it at that?

Are we pretending stereotyping doesn't exist?

Like I said, there nothing wrong with an actress playing a different ethnic role, I just get tired of seeing them get it completely wrong.

some examples: Austrian playing a US Soldier, Arnold Schwarzenegger, he even had his accent, or more recently the Alice Braga (Brazilian) play an Israeli in Predators and she fit the part well. Jake Gyllenhal in Prince of Persia, etc. Literally tons of examples.

But I feel like there are enough genuine hispanic actresses that could fit that role so much better.

Here is an interesting little article about The Rules of Proper Racial/Ethnic Casting in Hollywood.

That article is mostly about why "white" actors get etnic roles.
The one that urked me was the Dragon Ball movie.

What ever happened to actors like Dante Bosco (Rufio) or Ernie Reyes, Jr (surf ninjas), granted these are both Filipino examples, but at least that was closer.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:09:44 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline kennedy_c

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: August 18, 2010, 11:43:55 PM »
Anyone seen the new Syfy (I hate that change!) series 'Haven'?  What about Lucas Bryant, the male lead in Haven as Harry? Relative unknown, no typecasting (yet), tall, lanky. . .thoughts?

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1519 on: August 19, 2010, 12:07:23 AM »

What ever happened to actors like Dante Bosco (Rufio) or Ernie Reyes, Jr (surf ninjas), granted these are both Filipino examples, but at least that was closer.

No idea who Ernie Reyes, Jr is, but Dante Basco made his opinion of it known when The Last Airbender came out.

Typecasting and stereotyping is, unfortunately, something that does happen in the United States. It's unfortunate, and it isn't fair to ethnic actors that are actually well versed in their jobs, and personify the roles that are written in these movies with all of the qualities the specific role calls for.

This is, personally, why I am anal-retentive about the actors who would take the roles in the Dresden movies. We obviously know now that Harry himself has a Scottish background; Murphy is Irish-Catholic, small, blonde, and exceptional in martial arts; The Gatekeeper is Arabic; The Merlin is almost the literal physical embodiment of what a traditional English wizard -- maybe even the real Merlin -- looks like; Susan is a Latina, Michael is fairly tall (but shorter than Harry), thickly, broadly built, and would have the fine, regal looks of the Franks combined with the Romans, given that he was descended from Charlemagne. (For those who don't know, this is one of the ideal portraits of the emperor in question:

His looks actually very closely resemble how I see Michael in my head, without the beard, of course)

If a Dresden movie is ever made, I want it made as true to form as the books give us. None of this, "Let's make everybody white" malarkey. It's insulting to other actors who may be perfect for the role. (this is also why I really like the idea of Shaun Toub as the Gatekeeper, as he actually is Arabic.)

ETA: I realize that this makes me sound like I myself am typecasting. I don't like the thought of myself doing that. I would rather, at the very least, that the actors cast at least match how the books say they look. Harry is tall, gawky, not entirely bad looking, somewhat gaunt, dark haired and dark eyed; Murphy is small, blonde, blue eyes, and the picture of a kid's favorite aunt, or a cheerleader; Susan is dark eyed, dark haired, tanned skinned and lithe; Thomas is a walking Bod advertisement with pale skin and long, dark curling hair. As long as they make the effort to match the characters' looks, I'm good.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 12:16:20 AM by tiny[but]fierce »
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1520 on: August 19, 2010, 12:09:02 AM »
Anyone seen the new Syfy (I hate that change!) series 'Haven'?  What about Lucas Bryant, the male lead in Haven as Harry? Relative unknown, no typecasting (yet), tall, lanky. . .thoughts?

Oh my god.

Give him a perpetual five o'clock and several dozen bruises, and it would work. Holy crap, kennedy! Good call!
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: August 19, 2010, 01:32:41 AM »

Oh my god.

Give him a perpetual five o'clock and several dozen bruises, and it would work. Holy crap, kennedy! Good call!

Nice, I must say.  ;)
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline godlessgoth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: August 19, 2010, 01:46:45 AM »
is he tall enough?

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: August 19, 2010, 02:49:01 AM »
Are we pretending stereotyping doesn't exist?

Like I said, there nothing wrong with an actress playing a different ethnic role, I just get tired of seeing them get it completely wrong.

"Completely wrong". Moses, at the risk of offending you although that is not my intent or desire in any way whatsoever, that's prejudiced. That's categorically judging one or more ethnic groups as being "wrong" for a role. "Reverse" discrimination does not exist; there is only discrimination against one more ethnic groups, saying they're not good enough or they're wrong for any one particular thing. What makes that any more acceptable than casting only ____ for a given role? And why would that be any better than only HIRING _____ for _____ job?

I tell you this: making those fill-in-the-blanks anything OTHER than completely open fill-in-the-blanks is discrimination.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1524 on: August 19, 2010, 02:51:59 AM »
is he tall enough?

Lucas looks like he's anywhere from 6'4" to 6'8" which puts him well in the running for Harry.

On a side note, did anyone else squee when they saw Eric Balfour? First words out of my mouth were "OMG it's Jesse from Buffy season 1!"

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline godlessgoth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: August 19, 2010, 04:30:27 AM »
Lucas looks like he's anywhere from 6'4" to 6'8" which puts him well in the running for Harry.

On a side note, did anyone else squee when they saw Eric Balfour? First words out of my mouth were "OMG it's Jesse from Buffy season 1!"

that's pretty tall. I think he'd be great for it.

Offline LordDresden

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: August 19, 2010, 04:38:00 AM »

Oh my god.

Yeah, no kidding!  He's not quite old enough, put just a few more years on him, 'roughen up' the look..and we've got Harry Dresden!

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #1527 on: August 19, 2010, 04:40:25 AM »
his eyes are kinda too soft for me.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 07:42:16 AM by Jaeh »
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1528 on: August 19, 2010, 09:41:28 AM »
his eyes are kinda too soft for me.

Really? They look kinda sad to me -- sort of like how I pictured Harry's eyes to always look. Like, he's got strength by the dozens, but when you look in his eyes, you can see that deep down, he's very sad because of all the things that weigh on his head. Plus, look how lanky he is (ignore the chick in the picture):

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: August 19, 2010, 01:08:53 PM »
Really? They look kinda sad to me -- sort of like how I pictured Harry's eyes to always look. Like, he's got strength by the dozens, but when you look in his eyes, you can see that deep down, he's very sad because of all the things that weigh on his head. Plus, look how lanky he is (ignore the chick in the picture):

Actually I think she makes him more convincing for me because it kinda looks like a Harry/Murph picture.  I am convinced he would definitely do for Harry.
It's like Harry Potter got drunk and lost his virginity to the Ghostbusters.-Denarian XD
DV Wizard H V1.2 YR10 FR4 BK+++ RP++ JB++ TH++ WG+++ CL+++ SW+ BC++ MC++++ SH[Murphy+++++,Molly++,Lara+,Mab--,Maeve---] TT! MS++ MsD-- FF+++