Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1127179 times)

Offline SpiritSAS

• Participant
  • Why am I wearing this silly hat?
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #1260 on: July 26, 2010, 03:49:38 PM »
My take on the actors chosen in the survey.  There are several who could pull off the character, that are at the top of the survey, but who I don't think work becasue they don't fit the body style, which is so central to the role.  That's why I picked Paul Bettany.  I think he can get off those snappy, wiseass lines really well.  Also, he's 6 ft 3.  Not as tall as the Dresden character, but taller than most of the other choices.  Plus, he's fairly thin and wiry whereas Hugh Jackman and all the other top choices, are far more musclar and broard shouldered.  Jackman, for example or Gerard might make an excellent Sanya.  
No, really, why the hat.  "I don't do hats."

SAS

Offline SpiritSAS

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: July 26, 2010, 03:51:50 PM »
My take on the actors chosen in the survey.  There are several who could pull off the character, that are at the top of the survey, but who I don't think work becasue they don't fit the body style, which is so central to the role.  That's why I picked Paul Bettany.  I think he can get off those snappy, wiseass lines really well.  Also, he's 6 ft 3.  Not as tall as the Dresden character, but taller than most of the other choices.  Plus, he's fairly thin and wiry whereas Hugh Jackman and all the other top choices, are far more musclar and broard shouldered.  Jackman, for example or Gerard might make an excellent Sanya. 

SAS

SAS

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #1262 on: July 26, 2010, 03:56:46 PM »
Jerry Bruckheimer?

What's weird is Jerry Bruckheimer has produced soo many good movies, is there such thing a "Great Producer".

Joss Whedon as Director.......NO! He has never directed a Hollywood movie besides Serenity, and Goners which is still in production, and he is rumored to possible direct The Avengers, but still no.

However, I DO think that he should be one of the writers, just not the director, if you like at his career is he much more of a writer than a director.

he probably just has a good "nose" for good movies. I called dibs on him because I like him, that's all, lol.

fine. :p him as a writer then. I vote for *scans your list* I don't know some of them because I suck, but I don't like James Cameron. >>
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline Bluebeard

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: July 26, 2010, 04:10:47 PM »
My take on the actors chosen in the survey.  There are several who could pull off the character, that are at the top of the survey, but who I don't think work becasue they don't fit the body style, which is so central to the role.  That's why I picked Paul Bettany.  I think he can get off those snappy, wiseass lines really well.  Also, he's 6 ft 3.  Not as tall as the Dresden character, but taller than most of the other choices.  Plus, he's fairly thin and wiry whereas Hugh Jackman and all the other top choices, are far more musclar and broard shouldered.  Jackman, for example or Gerard might make an excellent Sanya. 

SAS

Jackman and Gerard are white though, while Sanya is a black russian man.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: July 26, 2010, 04:13:59 PM »
These are arranged by number of votes as of the time of this post, excluding Denisof which is Jim's pick that wasn't included in the poll.

Alexis Denisof           height: 6' 2" age: 44
Nathan Fillion           height: 6' 1½" age: 39
Hugh Jackman          height: 6' 2½" age: 41
Ryan Reynolds          height: 6' 2" age: 33
Timothy Olyphant     height: 6' 0" age: 42
Joe Flanigan            height: 6' 0" age: 43
Jared Padalecki        height: 6' 4" age: 28
Clive Owen              height: 6' 2½" age: 45
Zachary Quinto        height: 6' 1" age: 33
Lee Pace                height: 6' 3" age: 31
Paul Bettany           height: 6' 3" age: 39
Neil Flynn               height: 6' 5½" age: 49
Chris Evans             height: 6' 0½" age: 29
Gerard Butler           height: 6' 2" age: 40
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:16:46 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: July 26, 2010, 04:19:25 PM »
Jackman and Gerard are white though, while Sanya is a black russian man.

I was just thinking the same thing.

Offline SpiritSAS

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: July 26, 2010, 04:48:40 PM »
Good point. Forgot that.  Funny too that in another post in this thread, someone mentioned Alan Rickman for Morgan.  Isn't Morgan African American too or was that just the actor they cast in the show three years ago?

Anyway, I think the points about body type and height are still valid.  Need a tall, wiry type, who's not overly muscular.  Jared P. is the tallest in the group (under 40) but he's not a seasoned enough actor for role, in my opinion.  Neil Flynn may be too old and is not known well enough to draw in the movie audiences. 

SAS

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #1267 on: July 26, 2010, 05:08:39 PM »
Good point. Forgot that.  Funny too that in another post in this thread, someone mentioned Alan Rickman for Morgan.  Isn't Morgan African American too or was that just the actor they cast in the show three years ago?

It was the actor...quoting from Turn Coat, Chapter one:

"My first impression of the guy had stuck with me pretty hard—tall, heavily muscled, with a lean, sunken face I'd always associated with religious ascetics and half-crazy artists. He had brown hair that was unevenly streaked with iron, and a beard that, while always kept trimmed, perpetually seemed to need a few more weeks to fill out. He had hard, steady eyes, and all the comforting, reassuring charm of a dental drill. "
November 15, 2008-A day that will live in infamy...let's hope I'm not in the hospital THIS birthday!!!
Ah done an' went an' gots me a WEBSITE, y'all!!!
www.photoshoplifterdan.com

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #1268 on: July 26, 2010, 05:43:22 PM »

only in the tv show. ;)
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: July 26, 2010, 06:04:28 PM »
Anyway, I think the points about body type and height are still valid.  Need a tall, wiry type, who's not overly muscular.  Jared P. is the tallest in the group (under 40) but he's not a seasoned enough actor for role, in my opinion.  Neil Flynn may be too old and is not known well enough to draw in the movie audiences.  

I agree with both statements.

Jared P isn't seasoned enough, even for his age vs like Chris Evans who is only a year older.

And yeah, Neil Flynn is way too old.

I still think my favorite choice as far as best age and best height is Lee Pace, though also not very seasoned.

*i just saw that he played with SMG in Possession, never saw it though. (that's Sarah Michelle Gellar, not Sub Machine Gun)

I do like many of the choices on the list for other reasons, but they don't physically fit as well as the others.

And very much dislike some like, but there seem to be a over abundance of Whedon/Firefly/Stargate fans here so I won't say which two choices up there I don't like most.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 06:36:19 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: July 26, 2010, 06:42:10 PM »
What it really comes down to, I think, is how much fan based pull has the author got in the marketplace and how big the author's negotiating lawyers cajones are.

Bottom line, if creative control is that important to the author, they will say NO to signing away their rights to consult on choosing the actors. They may not get the final say, but they CAN retain the right to fight for the authenticity of their conceptualization. (big words for pick they guy they imagined playing the role when they wrote it, I know...  ::))

Just ask author Terry Goodkind, who sold the rights to his books and watched the TV series they made out of them be changed into an almost unrecognizable depiction of his works and characters.  It was made cheesy, and not a good cheddar chesse, like toe jam cheese or something.
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1271 on: July 26, 2010, 08:03:51 PM »
I hereby officially cross these actors off as the non-Harry Dresden type:

Zachary Quinto
Lee Pace
Ryan Reynolds
Hugh Jackman (I know he doesn't fit the age group, but I am still holding out hope. Maybe he can be Book 15-era Harry.)
Clive Owen
Paul Bettany
Timothy Olyphant
Nathan Fillion (I love Nathan, but the more I look at him, the more I think that might actually be better suited as Michael. Or, if we want to let him change up his perceived character base a little, cast him as some of the other men in the verse -- for instance? MALCOLM Dresden, instead of Harry. Or Justin DuMorne, John Stallings, Anthony Forthill [he was, after all, a priest on the last season of Buffy, albeit a misogynistic, sadistic one...]. Let him shake it up a bit, ya know?)
Joe Flanigan
Chris Evans
Gerard Butler
Neil Flynn

Jared Padalecki
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:27:10 PM by tiny[but]fierce »
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: July 26, 2010, 08:07:59 PM »
I hereby officially cross these actors off as the non-Harry Dresden type:

Zachary Quinto
Lee Pace
Ryan Reynolds
Hugh Jackman (I know he doesn't fit the age group, but I am still holding out hope. Maybe he can be Book 15-era Harry.)
Clive Owen
Paul Bettany
Timothy Olyphant
Nathan Fillion (I love Nathan, but the more I look at him, the more I think that might actually be better suited as Michael. Or, if we want to let him change up his perceived character base a little, cast him as some of the other men in the verse -- for instance? MALCOLM Dresden, instead of Harry. Or Justin DuMorne, John Stallings, Anthony Forthill [he was, after all, a priest on the last season of Buffy, albeit a misogynistic, sadistic one...]. Let him shake it up a bit, ya know?)
Joe Flanigan
Chris Evans
Gerard Butler
Neil Flynn

Jared Padalecki

You missed Joe Flanigan.

I agree with the rest.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:15:32 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1273 on: July 26, 2010, 08:26:57 PM »
You missed Joe Flanigan.

I agree with the rest.

Damn, I thought I got him. I'll fix that.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #1274 on: July 26, 2010, 09:24:04 PM »
I vote Joss Whedon and David Greenwalt. It's like Buffy and Angel all over again.

Throw in Nic Cage Ridley Scott and Jerry B as executive producers? *shrug grin*

FIFY.  Jerry B is good with the explody stuff, but Ridley Scott movies always have a good story, too.  I say it should be a joint project between Mutant Enemy and Scott Free.
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.