Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1127070 times)

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #6225 on: October 03, 2013, 07:58:35 PM »
Like Terry Crews?

~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: October 03, 2013, 08:11:03 PM »
Like Terry Crews?

Right build, wrong face.  Sanya is a person who more naturally smiles, something more Hopeful, than Crews.  Im a big fan of Crews, but his neutral face is still kind of a frown, and the smile just doesnt look like his natural state.  Actually the perfect sanya to my mind was the late Michael Clarke Duncan

And one of the few men in the world that can make The Rock look small:

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: October 03, 2013, 09:12:52 PM »
I always thought Santa had a leaner build, in muscle and weight, than either of them.

I'll have to see if I can find the book description.

Offline Al-Hajj Bilal Ammar Jihad

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: October 03, 2013, 10:05:16 PM »
Sanya got beeeeeeeeg, theeeeeeeeck beard.
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey, or he will not slay thee in thy turn.  He will bear thee away to the Houses of Lamentation, beyond all Darkness, where thy living flesh shall be devoured and thy shriveled mind left naked before the Lidless Eye.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: October 04, 2013, 12:26:17 PM »
I always thought Santa had a leaner build, in muscle and weight, than either of them.

I'll have to see if I can find the book description.
In his awesome Changes entrance he was described as
(click to show/hide)

Sanya got beeeeeeeeg, theeeeeeeeck beard.
There is no mention of a beard on him in any of the three books he appears in.  I think you might be transplanting that from the standard cultural Russian image.   
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: October 04, 2013, 12:56:21 PM »
There is no mention of a beard on him in any of the three books he appears in.  I think you might be transplanting that from the standard cultural Russian image.   

Maybe a little, but mostly was my association of a beard with a descendant of Saala-u-Diin...
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey, or he will not slay thee in thy turn.  He will bear thee away to the Houses of Lamentation, beyond all Darkness, where thy living flesh shall be devoured and thy shriveled mind left naked before the Lidless Eye.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: October 04, 2013, 02:05:45 PM »
Yes, I had begun imagining him looking...sorta like Harry Belafonte. Then he began "widening", so I've got confused with the image in my mind. I don't have any mental image of him now,  but he has no beard.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Reventon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: October 05, 2013, 10:34:07 AM »
I heart the idea of Michael Clarke Duncan for Sanya. His gentleness and constant humour being at odds with his incredible mass was just a perfect fit. RIP.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: October 05, 2013, 09:42:07 PM »
I saw him a few times on the Jay Leno show and he seemed a kind and very gentle man.
Had to laugh.
After he appeared in Armageddon in the little leopard briefs he told Leno
he got a "talking to" from his mom.  He wasn't to do that again.....or else.
Showed a picture of him with her - she barely came up over his belt buckle.
But you knew who was in charge and it wasn't him. :D :D

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: October 05, 2013, 10:52:37 PM »
I saw him a few times on the Jay Leno show and he seemed a kind and very gentle man.
Had to laugh.
After he appeared in Armageddon in the little leopard briefs he told Leno
he got a "talking to" from his mom.  He wasn't to do that again.....or else.
Showed a picture of him with her - she barely came up over his belt buckle.
But you knew who was in charge and it wasn't him. :D :D

Like that.  A lot.

Still think Sanya has a beard, though.  While I don't recall any text in DF saying he does, don't recall any saying he doesn't, either.

Ving Rhames would maybe work for the role if his voice was deeper.  Still gotta have full beard.  Am researching this...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:05:19 PM by Al-Hajj Bilal Ammar Jihad »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: October 05, 2013, 11:15:28 PM »
Like that.  A lot.

Still think Sanya has a beard, though.  While I don't recall any text in DF saying he does, don't recall any saying he doesn't, either.

Ving Rhames would maybe work for the role if his voice was deeper.  Still gotta have full beard.  Ivan Dixon woulda worked when he was younger, but he's gone too.  Am researching this...

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: October 05, 2013, 11:32:25 PM »
Like that.  A lot.

Ving Rhames would maybe work for the role if his voice was deeper.  Still gotta have full beard.  Am researching this...

I actually usually think of Sanya as being clean shaven.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: October 06, 2013, 02:41:16 AM »
I actually usually think of Sanya as being clean shaven.

Looks like I'm the minority opinion concerning that.  Wouldn't be the first time.

However, perhaps we can settle this:  If there are any moderators looking over our shoulders, can one of you guys ask Jim whether or not Sanya has a beard?

I'd ask myself but I don't see him coming to do book-signings in Anchorage, at least not in winter-time (unless he wants experiences to inspire future descriptions of Arctis Tor).

(({:^)>

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: October 06, 2013, 02:48:31 AM »
Looks like I'm the minority opinion concerning that.  Wouldn't be the first time.

However, perhaps we can settle this:  If there are any moderators looking over our shoulders, can one of you guys ask Jim whether or not Sanya has a beard?

I'd ask myself but I don't see him coming to do book-signings in Anchorage, at least not in winter-time (unless he wants experiences to inspire future descriptions of Arctis Tor).

(({:^)>

Thinking about it, it's probably more likely that he has a beard, though. Most depictions of Russians seem to put them on.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: October 06, 2013, 02:52:23 AM »
Thinking about it, it's probably more likely that he has a beard, though. Most depictions of Russians seem to put them on.

Yeah...and there's the additional factor that he's descended from Muslims.  We big on da beeeerd thing, lol.