Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1126889 times)

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #5925 on: April 03, 2013, 06:59:32 PM »
I've started to watch the last season (I think) of Eureka and am wracking my brains for parts in our little play for the two women who play Allison and Jo.  I was thinking I'd like to see Jo in the part of Susan.  Problem is that she isn't hispanic, but she is italian.  Also she's only 5' 5".

At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5926 on: April 03, 2013, 07:58:03 PM »
I've started to watch the last season (I think) of Eureka and am wracking my brains for parts in our little play for the two women who play Allison and Jo.  I was thinking I'd like to see Jo in the part of Susan.  Problem is that she isn't hispanic, but she is italian.  Also she's only 5' 5".

I think she's JB's dream-choice for Susan too. 

When I picture Susan in my head, she's more like Jordana Brewster, who was born in Brazil to a Brazilian model and an American investor.  I imagine Susan as part latino and part white.  Maybe its just the way she was written by JB, but she doesn't come across as pure hispanic to me.  (Sorry if that's offensive to anyone)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5927 on: April 03, 2013, 09:56:27 PM »
Susan for me is Rosario Dawson.  Especially after she goes super-chick
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5928 on: April 03, 2013, 10:03:14 PM »
I could live with that.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5929 on: April 04, 2013, 02:43:19 AM »

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5930 on: April 04, 2013, 02:57:45 AM »
Fantazero - why are you posting pics of llamas in the perfect casting thread??

Offline ShadowX81

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5931 on: April 04, 2013, 04:45:35 AM »

When I picture Susan in my head, she's more like Jordana Brewster, who was born in Brazil to a Brazilian model and an American investor.  I imagine Susan as part latino and part white.  Maybe its just the way she was written by JB, but she doesn't come across as pure hispanic to me.  (Sorry if that's offensive to anyone)

Yea, ive never pictured her as pure hispanic either.

Actually Jordana Brewster is a pretty good choice. I could get behind that.

Overall, I've always seen Susan as someone that is very beautiful but in a "smart, girl next door" type of way. Basically the type of girl that every guy dreams of. Attractive but not glamorous or a knockout.

She is someone that is constantly driven by her own curiosity, driving her to seek out the more interesting and exotic. She gets bored easily with normality, making the paranormal a fascinating subject for her. It also explains why she is so persistent with dating Harry, even though he would normally see a girl like that as out of his league. In her eyes, he is much more interesting than all the attention she receives from normal and boring guys.

By making her a caring girl-next-door type it makes it all the more tragic when she is turned, and leads to Harry blaming himself.

Ive always had a very specific idea of how this character should be portrayed as she always reminds me of this girl I knew in college whose description was very close to that of the books. Much like Susan, she was also way out-of-my-league yet romantically pursued me, and to this day I have no idea why.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #5932 on: April 04, 2013, 04:51:59 AM »
I really don't understand how you can tell if she is Latino or not for the way she is written. I also always imagined her as gorgeous, not the "smart girl next door". Maybe is because I imagine her as a beauty with no brains.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline ShadowX81

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5933 on: April 04, 2013, 05:02:06 AM »
Probably my own personal bias of knowing someone that reminded me of the character.

Also I think part of it is the stereotype of Latin women being portrayed in the media as "feisty" or "voluptuous" and ive just never seen those qualities in Susan.

Offline thelordbeans

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5934 on: April 04, 2013, 05:06:39 AM »
My (constantly changing) list, in order of cast choices I feel most strongly about to least (and I'm trying to imagine a cast that could actually be afforded, so being less well-known is actually a plus):

Lasciel / Lash - Tricia Helfer

Anyone who's seen Battlestar Galactica knows Tricia Helfer as the amazing actress who played the cylon Six, whose many varied versions ranged from devious seductress to timid victim, from cruel and imposing to frightened but hopeful. After rereading one of the novels with Lash for the first time after watching BSG, I imagined every line spoken by Tricia Helfer, and it sounded perfect. I know without a doubt that she could pull off the deadly temptation of a fallen angel, whose temptation may not always seem so... unkind.

Johnny Marcone - Jim Caviezel http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001029/

Cold, hard, but handsome; driven to criminal extremes by a tragic past; ruthless, unrestrained, and dangerous to betray. The Count of Monte Cristo, or the gentleman Johnny Marcone. A criminal scumbag with a steely smile that will make Harry look awkward and juvenile in comparison, because, honestly, there's few men cooler or cuter than Jim Caviezel.

Anastasia Luccio (post swap) - Vera Farmiga http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0267812/?ref_=tt_cl_t7

One of my favorite actresses for her performances in Departed and Up in the Air, I can easily imagine her playing the long-in-years Luccio in a more youthful, exuberant body.

Michael Carpenter - Leonard Roberts http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0731346/

I've only ever seen him in Heroes and Drumline, but for some reason I always imagined he'd be a good Michael, though I'm not sure how many readers were like me and imagined the Carpenter family as African-American (Molly's blonde hair was from dye).

Nicodemus - Christian Bale http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000288/

The biggest name actor on the list, the most expensive, the most exorbitant... and completely worth it, when you're looking at a character who might be the most evil.

Bob - Peter Dinklage http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0227759/

Did I say the biggest name actor on the list was Christian Bale? Scratch that. PETER DINKLAGE!

Karen Murphy - Julia Stiles http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005466/
Billy or Butters or, I don't know, somebody - Ben Whishaw http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0924210/
<3 Butters+Andi / Molly+Carlos / Harry+Kumori
<3 Here's to hoping that Jim will name one of his novels "Free Rain" (Rein/Reign)
<3 Tiny... but FIERCE!
<3 I flexed the fingers of my still-scarred left hand and my mildly tingling right hand. “I’m more worried about all the things I’ll never be rid of.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5935 on: April 04, 2013, 12:22:33 PM »
I really don't understand how you can tell if she is Latino or not for the way she is written. I also always imagined her as gorgeous, not the "smart girl next door". Maybe is because I imagine her as a beauty with no brains.
I think the "Rodriquez" is what most people are cuing off of for that assumption.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #5936 on: April 04, 2013, 12:37:40 PM »
I understand the idea that "Rodriguez"= Latino, but not how writing can say "not completely Latino". Perhaps is for the "Susan".
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5937 on: April 04, 2013, 02:02:45 PM »
How about Taylor Momsen for Molly?  She has the goth thing and is realtively tall at 5'8".

~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5938 on: April 04, 2013, 04:36:55 PM »
I understand the idea that "Rodriguez"= Latino, but not how writing can say "not completely Latino". Perhaps is for the "Susan".

Actually I got the Latino from the "Rodriguez".  And how she was written is from her Mid-West upbrining.  Latino does not mean Cheech Marin, it means of hispanic descent, to me.  How one looks and how one acts (or are written) are completely different (or can be).

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5939 on: April 04, 2013, 07:09:01 PM »
Fantazero - why are you posting pics of llamas in the perfect casting thread??

What are you talking about?