Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1127205 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #5670 on: January 25, 2013, 03:37:54 PM »
A lot can be done to mess someone up with makeup.  But I still like Ben Browder for it.
Just saw him as a villain on Arrow this week.  Hate to say it, but Ben Browder has gone the way of Nathan Fillion and thickened up right out of the stork harry lankiness. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5671 on: January 25, 2013, 04:14:27 PM »

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5672 on: January 25, 2013, 06:23:24 PM »
Just saw him as a villain on Arrow this week.  Hate to say it, but Ben Browder has gone the way of Nathan Fillion and thickened up right out of the stork harry lankiness.

Actors have also been known to gain and lose weight -- lots of weight -- for certain roles.  Though I don't know if Browder is into that.  That said, he's just my favorite of the moment.
Rule #6: If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
Rule #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.  Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the back of the head.

Harry Anderson Talks Geek

Offline Kael Tucker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: January 25, 2013, 06:33:54 PM »
Let me say, Browder is in my top five TV actors of all time... Anyone who has seen farscape will probably agree that it would not be a far stretch to have him play dresden... heck he even resembles the comic book Harry incredibly... BUT ( You knew there had to be one) The timing isn't right for him.  He is getting a bit seasoned to play a character who is in his late twenties ( assuming we start with Storm Front as the plot) I have seen him in more recent work, and he is getting back in fighting shape... but I am afraid his age will work against him. 

I still hold to my opinion that we would have to cast an unknown for Harry, and spend the money on the supporting roles, getting some bigger names to surround him to draw people in.
" I'm just a big hairy american winning machine"

Offline dragonmastachief

• Lurker
  • dont bleed in front of me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5674 on: January 27, 2013, 08:30:39 PM »
I really dont think Paul Blackthorne could fit the role, it just doesnt click in my head. they dont have to be 6'9", but at least 6'1" or 6'2" i would think. ive thrown some out there, i still think that Josh Hartnett, or Jared Padaleki , or Sam Worthington would be a good Harry. And yea, thats exactly what i thought of him as in my head. norse. definitely norse.

Whoever plays Harry in a movie has to be over 6 ft tall because his height is often referenced throughout the series as well as  Thomas.
Id rather be an open book instead of a weekly newspaper.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #5675 on: January 27, 2013, 09:25:58 PM »
Paul Blackthorne is 6' 3˝" (1.92 m) and I think he did it very well in the show.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5676 on: January 27, 2013, 10:04:40 PM »
I really dont think Paul Blackthorne could fit the role, it just doesnt click in my head. they dont have to be 6'9", but at least 6'1" or 6'2" i would think. ive thrown some out there, i still think that Josh Hartnett, or Jared Padaleki , or Sam Worthington would be a good Harry. And yea, thats exactly what i thought of him as in my head. norse. definitely norse.

Whoever plays Harry in a movie has to be over 6 ft tall because his height is often referenced throughout the series as well as  Thomas.

I've said before, and I say again, Height does not matter.  camera tricks can make a shorter person look taller.  Viggo Mortensen is only a few cm taller than Elijah Wood, but they made Frodo look small compared to Aragorn.
Rule #6: If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
Rule #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.  Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the back of the head.

Offline Kael Tucker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5677 on: January 27, 2013, 10:15:36 PM »
I've said before, and I say again, Height does not matter.  camera tricks can make a shorter person look taller.  Viggo Mortensen is only a few cm taller than Elijah Wood, but they made Frodo look small compared to Aragorn.

True, But there are better things we can be spending our "Special Effects" budget on... We can spend a few hours making Harry taller, or we can make better flaming monkey poo... your choice.

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: January 27, 2013, 10:24:23 PM »
True, But there are better things we can be spending our "Special Effects" budget on... We can spend a few hours making Harry taller, or we can make better flaming monkey poo... your choice.

OR... We can skip the live action altogether, and go with well voiced, gritty animation... Like they do in Japan.  Sacrilege, I know, but...

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5679 on: January 27, 2013, 10:42:20 PM »

Well, yes and no.  His height is a big deal, but in practical terms they are going to have to compromise on some of that aspect anyway, if for no other reason than it is very difficult two leads with the kind of height difference that a true-to-book harry and Murphy would have.  It just becomes an extreme hassle to frame a shot with one actor looking at the other's navel.  And while we the fans may want every element to be true and loyal to the books, it's just not going to happen.  And it will not break the story.  Look at X-Men:  it was a major plot point int he comics for Wolverine to be a short little snot (5'-3" to be exact).  It contributed to his aggressive napoleon complex as well as his antagonism with both Sabertooth (6'-6") and Cyclops (6'-3").  But in the movies they cast the 6'-2" Hugh Jackman and it did nothing to detract from the story (Personally I think he was born to play the role even if about half of the films sucked)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: January 27, 2013, 11:27:29 PM »
I just don't want a Toby Maguire to play him. We need someone who can actually pull off a smart mouth.
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline KoshN

• Conversationalist
  • Babylon 5, Crusade, and Dresden Files fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: January 28, 2013, 12:46:07 AM »
Paul Blackthorne is 6' 3˝" (1.92 m) and I think he did it very well in the show.

Agreed! ;D
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-------------------------------
"The Dresden Files" (2007)
Harry Dresden: [re. Bianca] What is it about bad girls?  They lie, cheat, won't suck your blood even when you beg them to, and for some reason, no matter how badly they treat us, we still can't walk away.

Offline Kael Tucker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: January 28, 2013, 11:51:42 AM »
Paul Blackstone was one of the show's good points... He did have Harry's attitude.  but bringing him back would be problematic.  If he were continuing the series where it left off... then I say ok. But if we are re-inventing Harry Dresden for a TV or Movie audience then we have to move past the old show.  I have absolutely no problems recycling the actors from the old show into a new one in different roles ( except BOB, he can keep his job) but the show has been off the air a while and the actors have matured a bit... If we are starting fresh, the actor who plays Harry needs to be between the ages of 26-34, between 6-2 and 6-6, and be able to pull off the attitude without going over the top.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: January 28, 2013, 04:56:46 PM »
Harry, Susan, Martin, Butter, Molly, and the Merlin

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: January 28, 2013, 05:46:55 PM »
Paul Blackstone was one of the show's good points... He did have Harry's attitude.  but bringing him back would be problematic.  If he were continuing the series where it left off... then I say ok. But if we are re-inventing Harry Dresden for a TV or Movie audience then we have to move past the old show.  I have absolutely no problems recycling the actors from the old show into a new one in different roles ( except BOB, he can keep his job) but the show has been off the air a while and the actors have matured a bit... If we are starting fresh, the actor who plays Harry needs to be between the ages of 26-34, between 6-2 and 6-6, and be able to pull off the attitude without going over the top.

I am not sure we are doing that. I think the rules of this thread are quite relaxed. I cast for the current book.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)