Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1127211 times)

Offline KoshN

• Conversationalist
  • Babylon 5, Crusade, and Dresden Files fan.
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #5640 on: January 18, 2013, 04:58:43 AM »
Hey, double post.  Go me!

How about James Purefoy for Nic?  He can do wicked.

Perhaps as Marcone?
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-------------------------------
"The Dresden Files" (2007)
Harry Dresden: [re. Bianca] What is it about bad girls?  They lie, cheat, won't suck your blood even when you beg them to, and for some reason, no matter how badly they treat us, we still can't walk away.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5641 on: January 18, 2013, 04:59:22 AM »
How about Bennedict Cumberbatch for Steed?
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5642 on: January 18, 2013, 02:58:18 PM »
Sarah Michelle Gellar would be a good Murphy, especially now she's aged a little.

Buffy FTW!
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline Mortax

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5643 on: January 18, 2013, 09:20:26 PM »
Here is who I see as I read the books.  In some cases, there are height, hair and age discrepancies, but if Hollywood can fake it so can I. :) (Pardon spelling)

Dresden: Huge Jackman
Murphy: Judith Hoag
Molly: Jessica Biel
Micheal Carpeter: Gerard Butler
Mac: Patrick Stewart (Seriously, he like Mac never seems to age.)
Nichodimus: Liam Neeson
Thomas: James Marsters
Bob: It's a double up but either Marsters or Patrick Stewart
Marcone: Huge Laurie
Sanya: Christopher Judge
Shiro: Mako
Laura Wraith : Kate Beckinsale
Lea: Scarlet Johansan
Mab: Angelina Jolie
Elain: Terry Ferrel
Uriel: Morgan Freeman
Eb: Kris Kistoferson
Butters: Seth Green
Susan: Roselyn Sanchez
Odin: Clancy Brown
Carlos: Mark Consuelos
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 09:57:23 PM by Mortax »
Laa shay'a waqui'n moutlaq bale kouloun moumkine

If you go to Chichen Itza....You will Die. -Rashid the Vorlon

"The Arctis Tor Rehab Centre
We have ways of making you walk." - shades of grey

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5644 on: January 19, 2013, 06:57:53 AM »
Here is who I see as I read the books.  In some cases, there are height, hair and age discrepancies, but if Hollywood can fake it so can I. :) (Pardon spelling)

Dresden: Huge Jackman
Murphy: Judith Hoag
Molly: Jessica Biel
Micheal Carpeter: Gerard Butler
Mac: Patrick Stewart (Seriously, he like Mac never seems to age.)
Nichodimus: Liam Neeson
Thomas: James Marsters
Bob: It's a double up but either Marsters or Patrick Stewart
Marcone: Huge Laurie
Sanya: Christopher Judge
Shiro: Mako
Laura Wraith : Kate Beckinsale
Lea: Scarlet Johansan
Mab: Angelina Jolie
Elain: Terry Ferrel
Uriel: Morgan Freeman
Eb: Kris Kistoferson
Butters: Seth Green
Susan: Roselyn Sanchez
Odin: Clancy Brown
Carlos: Mark Consuelos

Everybody likes Marsters except me.  He was descent as Spike in the one episode of Angel that I watched, but I'm not what you'd call a fan.

No way do I see Patrick Stewart as Bob.  Bob is too raunchy.
He's also a little to lanky for my image of Mac.

Angelina as Mab?  uhhhh... no.

Uriel is described as a young man, except in his Jake persona.

I also can't see Hugh Laurie as Marcone.  He doesn't come close to having the right personality in anything I've seen him in.

Hugh Jackman is way too old for Harry, not to mention that I can't see him taking the beatings Harry takes on a regular basis.

Molly has the physique of a female Body Builder.

Mako might have made a descent Shiro but, unfortunately, he's dead.

Can't see Christopher Judge doning a Russian accent (Much as I like him)

Scarlet Johansen is too young for Lea.

Kristopherson I might agree with for Eb.

I might like Gerard Butler more if he could do more than one accent.

I don't see Seth Green playing Butters because I can't see him playing someone who gets caught up in other people's pain.

Liam Neeson is an interesting thought for Nic.  I can see him doing the Villain very well, but the image is off somehow.

Whoever plays Lara Raith has to drip with Sex Appeal.  She's the kind of person who expects men to succumb to her charms, and with good reason.  She's only been rebuffed by two men in the last century.  Tall, Graceful, Beautiful and Deadly.
Rule #6: If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
Rule #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.  Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the back of the head.

Harry Anderson Talks Geek

Offline Mortax

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: January 19, 2013, 08:28:50 AM »
No way do I see Patrick Stewart as Bob.  Bob is too raunchy.
He's also a little to lanky for my image of Mac.

Um, ever watched American Dad?  He's done things WAY raunchier than Bob.  And he's not what I would call lanky.  The man is actually pretty fit, especially for his age.

Like I said, this is what's in my head.  Their current ages might not be what I see them as, as stated. :)

And you can't see Huge Laurie as a quite stoic sociopath?......I guess I see that as House without the sarcasm.  And shaving.  After seeing him in Black Adder and then seeing house, I'm convinced he has the range.

And as to Molly, see Blade 3.  Physical builds aren't that hard to change. :)

And as said, YMMV

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5646 on: January 19, 2013, 05:36:42 PM »
Um, ever watched American Dad?  He's done things WAY raunchier than Bob.  And he's not what I would call lanky.  The man is actually pretty fit, especially for his age.

Like I said, this is what's in my head.  Their current ages might not be what I see them as, as stated. :)

And you can't see Huge Laurie as a quite stoic sociopath?......I guess I see that as House without the sarcasm.  And shaving.  After seeing him in Black Adder and then seeing house, I'm convinced he has the range.

And as to Molly, see Blade 3.  Physical builds aren't that hard to change. :)

And as said, YMMV

I don't watch American Dad or Family Guy.

I've also never seen Blackadder.  I know Hugh Laurie from House and 101 Dalmations.  I'm not saying I can't see him as a sociopath, but John Marcone isn't a sociopath, he's a megalomaniac -- Not like Hitler, mind.  He doesn't want to rule the world, just his little piece of it, and he doesn't tolerate interference.  He's convinced that he can do a better job of it than the established authorities.  He's pragmatic, practical and absolutely ruthless toward his enemies, but he does have rules.

I guess my mileage varies a lot.
Rule #6: If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
Rule #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.  Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the back of the head.

Offline Mortax

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5647 on: January 19, 2013, 05:50:46 PM »
John Marcone isn't a sociopath, he's a megalomaniac -- Not like Hitler, mind.  He doesn't want to rule the world, just his little piece of it, and he doesn't tolerate interference.  He's convinced that he can do a better job of it than the established authorities.  He's pragmatic, practical and absolutely ruthless toward his enemies, but he does have rules.

Um, that kinda fits sociopath too.. :)  http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html  He's a predator with no limits.  He has an order to his world, and he defends it and his territory ruthlessly.  He appears charming to most, except those who realize the smiles don't touch his eyes.  He sees others as tools.  People often use the term sociopath and psychopath interchangeably, but they are not.  One is impulsive, and often violent.  The other is cold, calculating, and the majority of cases are not violent people. 

Megalomania, on the other hand:
"Megalomania is a psychopathological disorder characterized by delusional fantasies of power, relevance, or omnipotence. 'Megalomania is characterized by an inflated sense of self-esteem and overestimation by persons of their powers and beliefs'.[1] Historically it was used as an old name for narcissistic personality disorder prior to the latter's first use by Heinz Kohut in 1968, and is used these days as a non-clinical equivalent."

Marcon strikes me as many things.  Narcissistic isn't one of them.  He's too practical.  Also, he doesn't strike me as having fantasies of power, or omnipotence.  If he believed that, I doubt he would hire Odin's people.

And as to Sir Stewert: WARNING, Inappropriate for young ones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmwieqeNG_s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=s_BX8UjVUvA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S7r-K6lO6k

He's a bit silly and over the top in the series, but given some of the things I've seen him in, he has the range.  Crazy man did "A Christmas Carol"  By himself.  All the parts.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:01:48 PM by Mortax »

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: January 19, 2013, 05:56:28 PM »
Um, that kinda fits sociopath too.. :)  http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html  He's a predator with no limits.  He has an order to his world, and he defends it and his territory ruthlessly.  He appears charming to most, except those who realize the smiles don't touch his eyes.  He sees others as tools.  People often use the term sociopath and psychopath interchangeably, but they are not.  One is impulsive, and often violent.  The other is cold, calculating, and the majority of cases are not violent people. 

Megalomania, on the other hand:
"Megalomania is a psychopathological disorder characterized by delusional fantasies of power, relevance, or omnipotence. 'Megalomania is characterized by an inflated sense of self-esteem and overestimation by persons of their powers and beliefs'.[1] Historically it was used as an old name for narcissistic personality disorder prior to the latter's first use by Heinz Kohut in 1968, and is used these days as a non-clinical equivalent."

Marcon strikes me as many things.  Narcissistic isn't one of them.  He's too practical.  Also, he doesn't strike me as having fantasies of power, or omnipotence.  If he believed that, I doubt he would hire Odin's people.

I'll accept the correction in terminology, but I'm still not sure that Marcone is a sociopath.

I guess, for the right actor, I would accept a range of types as long as they looked like they might have once been military.  Because I'm almost certain that Marcone was, and he was probably Black Ops.

Offline Mortax

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5649 on: January 19, 2013, 06:08:01 PM »
I guess, for the right actor, I would accept a range of types as long as they looked like they might have once been military.  Because I'm almost certain that Marcone was, and he was probably Black Ops.

I'll agree to that.  Though we might disagree on the range of what that could cover. :)  I've known 4 people who were SEALs.  None of them looked like you would think. lol  John was 6'6 and gangly, Rodger was built like a fireplug.  The rest were somewhere in between.  That's probably why I can see Huge as frmr spec ops where most would look at me funny.  I've seen people who look less like special forces than him actually be in special forces.

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5650 on: January 19, 2013, 08:07:02 PM »
I'll agree to that.  Though we might disagree on the range of what that could cover. :)  I've known 4 people who were SEALs.  None of them looked like you would think. lol  John was 6'6 and gangly, Rodger was built like a fireplug.  The rest were somewhere in between.  That's probably why I can see Huge as frmr spec ops where most would look at me funny.  I've seen people who look less like special forces than him actually be in special forces.

The thing about Marcone, though, is that he's still got it.  He can rappel from a flying helicopter onto a moving train, and lead men into battle.  He can sever a rope with a thrown knife while hanging upside down and swinging.  I don't see Hugh Laurie doing that.

Though, for all of that, he could have been a Merc too...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:10:04 PM by MagusLucius »

Offline Mortax

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5651 on: January 19, 2013, 08:31:46 PM »
Though, for all of that, he could have been a Merc too...

Honestly, him being both wouldn't surprise me. :)

Offline Homer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5652 on: January 19, 2013, 08:55:55 PM »
Molly has the physique of a female Body Builder.

I don't remember her being described like that. I've always pictured her with more of an athletic build, but mot overdone to the point where she lost all the interesting curves.
Slinky + Escalator = Endless Fun

Offline Mortax

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5653 on: January 19, 2013, 09:02:16 PM »
Likewise. Hen's the mental picture of Jessica Beil.  Mostly as she appeared in Blade 3.

And on the issue of "I can't see that actor doing that, I thought the same thing about Gerard butler.

How I first saw him:

Which tuned into:

Edit:  Sorry, trying to find a way to downsize those, didn't realise they were that big when I linked them in.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:17:23 PM by Mortax »

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5654 on: January 19, 2013, 09:16:07 PM »
Likewise. Hen's the mental picture of Jessica Beil.  Mostly as she appeared in Blade 3.

And on the issue of "I can't see that actor doing that, I thought the same thing about Gerard butler.

Honestly, I see Stewart Townsend as Thomas.

Probably because of

and