Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1127157 times)

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #5610 on: January 10, 2013, 09:51:58 PM »
As much as I love Ben Browder (and everything Farscape), I just can't picture him as Harry.
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5611 on: January 10, 2013, 09:53:07 PM »
You miss my point.  He tried for rage a number of times, he just didnt pull it off to the level that harry would regularly need

I disagree.  Although, just the two series are hardly a means by which to judge his full capabilities.  Were you, by any chance, thinking of the final episode of SG-1 when you said it wasn't enough rage?

I can't recall any specific "rage" scenes from Farscape at the moment, but that scene from Unending isn't too much short of what I recall seeing from Harry.

As much as I love Ben Browder (and everything Farscape), I just can't picture him as Harry.

I'd never have guessed you were a Farscape fan  :P

And the more I think about BB as Harry, the more I like the Idea.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:54:52 PM by MagusLucius »
Rule #6: If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
Rule #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.  Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the back of the head.

Harry Anderson Talks Geek

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #5612 on: January 10, 2013, 09:55:24 PM »
I don't see him as Harry (but then, I was always ok with Blackthorne)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5613 on: January 10, 2013, 10:01:01 PM »
And I never liked Blackthorne.

Insert the Rod, John.
Rule #6: If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
Rule #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.  Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the back of the head.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5614 on: January 10, 2013, 10:19:18 PM »
I disagree.  Although, just the two series are hardly a means by which to judge his full capabilities.  Were you, by any chance, thinking of the final episode of SG-1 when you said it wasn't enough rage?

I can't recall any specific "rage" scenes from Farscape at the moment, but that scene from Unending isn't too much short of what I recall seeing from Harry.
Ill admit I dont remember much from the last season of SG1, but in Farscape he had a number of rage moments, especially a few in PeaceKeeper Wars, that literally had the spittle flying, but never struck me as the same flavor as harry, that slowly sleething, barely controlled type.  Blackthorne has it, especially these days in Arrow, but with Browder it just didnt feel the same to me.  /Shrug  Im probably not saying this right.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: January 10, 2013, 11:05:57 PM »
Ill admit I dont remember much from the last season of SG1, but in Farscape he had a number of rage moments, especially a few in PeaceKeeper Wars, that literally had the spittle flying, but never struck me as the same flavor as harry, that slowly sleething, barely controlled type.  Blackthorne has it, especially these days in Arrow, but with Browder it just didnt feel the same to me.  /Shrug  Im probably not saying this right.

Well, personal opinions can be like that.  And it isn't like it's an earthshaking decision, but I never liked PB as Harry, he just didn't look right, he didn't sound right and he didn't move right.

All of that I can imagine in Browder.  But, again, that's just me.

SG-1 Unending: Have You Ever Seen the Rain
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:09:57 PM by MagusLucius »

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5616 on: January 11, 2013, 12:13:14 PM »
David Bowie for the Erlking.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: January 11, 2013, 05:13:04 PM »
David Bowie for the Erlking.
Ouch, that hurts.  He is a whole different kind of Goblin King.  I dont think the Erlking would rock that kind of codpiece  :P
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: January 11, 2013, 05:21:31 PM »
Ouch, that hurts.  He is a whole different kind of Goblin King.  I dont think the Erlking would rock that kind of codpiece  :P

Only one choice.  Rutger Hauer.  Although I haven't seen him in anything since The Tenth Kingdom.

Offline Kael Tucker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5619 on: January 12, 2013, 07:41:57 PM »

I agree and disagree... Ben is a great actor, I saw him recently in a doctor who episode of all places playing a texas sherriff in the old west.  I think he can pull off the attitude perfectly... but he is the wrong height and body style. I hold to my earlier statements saying that the part of Harry is going to have to be cast most likely to an unknown actor. No one in the public eye currently is quite right in my opinion.

Now speaking of farscape, if I were casting for Storm Front I would have Ben and Claudia play the part of Mr. and Mrs. Bennett.
" I'm just a big hairy american winning machine"

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5620 on: January 12, 2013, 07:48:04 PM »
I agree and disagree... Ben is a great actor, I saw him recently in a doctor who episode of all places playing a texas sherriff in the old west.  I think he can pull off the attitude perfectly... but he is the wrong height and body style. I hold to my earlier statements saying that the part of Harry is going to have to be cast most likely to an unknown actor. No one in the public eye currently is quite right in my opinion.

Now speaking of farscape, if I were casting for Storm Front I would have Ben and Claudia play the part of Mr. and Mrs. Bennett.

The height can be fiddled with camera tricks.  As for body type, I can see it perfectly.  I do NOT see Claudia Black as Helen Beckett.

Offline KoshN

• Conversationalist
  • Babylon 5, Crusade, and Dresden Files fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: January 12, 2013, 10:19:19 PM »
I don't see him as Harry (but then, I was always ok with Blackthorne)

I agree completely.
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-------------------------------
"The Dresden Files" (2007)
Harry Dresden: [re. Bianca] What is it about bad girls?  They lie, cheat, won't suck your blood even when you beg them to, and for some reason, no matter how badly they treat us, we still can't walk away.

Offline KoshN

• Conversationalist
  • Babylon 5, Crusade, and Dresden Files fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5622 on: January 12, 2013, 10:31:26 PM »
Well, personal opinions can be like that.  And it isn't like it's an earthshaking decision, but I never liked PB as Harry, he just didn't look right, he didn't sound right and he didn't move right.

All of that I can imagine in Browder.  But, again, that's just me.

SG-1 Unending: Have You Ever Seen the Rain

Perhaps it's because I first saw Paul Blackthorne AS Harry Dresden, but I think he did a great job as Harry, and he's who I visualize when I'm reading the books.  I would not be upset if he reprised that role in the future.
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-------------------------------
"The Dresden Files" (2007)
Harry Dresden: [re. Bianca] What is it about bad girls?  They lie, cheat, won't suck your blood even when you beg them to, and for some reason, no matter how badly they treat us, we still can't walk away.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: January 13, 2013, 07:45:31 PM »
Don't know if this counts as casting as such, but in my head, Demonreach sounds like a non-machine version of Harbinger.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: January 13, 2013, 08:02:14 PM »
Don't know if this counts as casting as such, but in my head, Demonreach sounds like a non-machine version of Harbinger.

???  Who?  Is this a comic book character?  Because you obviously aren't talking about the Walker.