Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1125256 times)

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #5580 on: January 05, 2013, 02:54:47 PM »
I can't believe how many votes Nathan Fillion got to be Harry! :o  Nathan is waaay too old and portly.  Back in his Firefly (TV) days maaaybe, but NOT NOW.  He'd have to lose at least 50 pounds and then be stretched on a rack.

Playing Harry is more about the ability to pull off the emotional range. I mean... I wouldn't want a 4 foot tall octogenarian, but if the actor can successfully carry the range between righteous wrath, bumbling uncertainty, and snarky irreverence, I wouldn't object to him playing the role. Nathan Fillion can hit all of those notes well, and has facial expressions that add much more cowbell to the writer generated snarky lines.
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline mdodd

• Seriously?
  • OH, IT'S HIM. @paceace1094
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: January 05, 2013, 09:06:25 PM »
Playing Harry is more about the ability to pull off the emotional range. I mean... I wouldn't want a 4 foot tall octogenarian, but if the actor can successfully carry the range between righteous wrath, bumbling uncertainty, and snarky irreverence, I wouldn't object to him playing the role. Nathan Fillion can hit all of those notes well, and has facial expressions that add much more cowbell to the writer generated snarky lines.
That rules Tom Cruise out then.
One year's forum service, nearly two
--------------------------------------------------------
“And the people next door oppress me all night long. I tell them, I work all day, a man's got to have some time to learn to play the tuba. ― Terry Pratchett.

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: January 05, 2013, 09:10:02 PM »
That rules Tom Cruise out then.

He's not an Octogenarian yet... Though it would help if he had more than two expressions.
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: January 05, 2013, 09:16:11 PM »

I have trouble seeing Nathan Fillion as Harry, but the character of Mal fits at some points.

"... the last thing you smell will be my stinking breath."
(beat) *nods* "Darn." *kicks guy backwards into engine intake.*

"What makes you think you can..."
"Infriga! ... Forzare."
Rule #6: If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
Rule #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.  Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the back of the head.

Harry Anderson Talks Geek

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: January 06, 2013, 03:31:32 PM »
How about Joe Manganiello to play Harry?
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: January 06, 2013, 06:05:59 PM »
How about Joe Manganiello to play Harry?

Only thing I've ever seen him in was Spiderman, and I don't recall him having much presence there.  IIRC he was the bully.

Here's a thought:

Carlos Ramirez -- Eric Balfour.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 06:20:22 PM by MagusLucius »
Rule #6: If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
Rule #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.  Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the back of the head.

Offline TruffleShufflen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: January 07, 2013, 03:51:02 AM »
I actually enjoyed Paul Blackthorne as Harry in the Television series. He has the same rugged look and his sarcastic smile would be perfect. I also enjoyed Valerie Cruz as Murphy, her hair just has to be dyed blonde and put in blue contacts and she'll look just like her. And for Bob, I would personally like to see someone that is really funny and goofy, like Bill Murray or someone of that nature.
He died doing the right thing.

Offline TruffleShufflen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: January 07, 2013, 03:54:45 AM »
Or I could see Timothy Olyphant being a good Dresden as well. I can't really pick one out of Timothy Olyphant, Nathan Fillion, or Paul Blackthorne.
He died doing the right thing.

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: January 07, 2013, 05:01:51 AM »
Or I could see Timothy Olyphant being a good Dresden as well. I can't really pick one out of Timothy Olyphant, Nathan Fillion, or Paul Blackthorne.

Olyphant is better than Blackthorne.  I like Nathan Fillion as much as the next person, but he just isn't right for Harry.  They'd still have to do camera tricks to make him stand head and shoulders over the rest of the cast.  Except for Sanya and the Gatekeeper...

Offline Vondrakenhof

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: January 07, 2013, 08:42:50 AM »
Eva Green for Lara?

Also, Rachel Mcadams could be the Faerie ladies:

Ok forget I said Anne Hathaway and let's go for Eva Green instead. Inspired choice!
"What's the working theory?

"A gorilla did it."

The sheer idiocy of a statement like that is enough to rupture a blood vessel in a reasonable person's brain.

Offline KoshN

• Conversationalist
  • Babylon 5, Crusade, and Dresden Files fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: January 07, 2013, 09:53:06 AM »
Playing Harry is more about the ability to pull off the emotional range. I mean... I wouldn't want a 4 foot tall octogenarian, but if the actor can successfully carry the range between righteous wrath, bumbling uncertainty, and snarky irreverence, I wouldn't object to him playing the role.

That description just conjured up Jonny Lee Miller's Sherlock Holmes in "Elementary," for me.  Picture him with long hair and in the clothing of one of The Dresden Files book covers.   ;)
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-------------------------------
"The Dresden Files" (2007)
Harry Dresden: [re. Bianca] What is it about bad girls?  They lie, cheat, won't suck your blood even when you beg them to, and for some reason, no matter how badly they treat us, we still can't walk away.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: January 08, 2013, 04:29:31 PM »
Only thing I've ever seen him in was Spiderman, and I don't recall him having much presence there.  IIRC he was the bully.

Here's a thought:

Carlos Ramirez -- Eric Balfour.

I like Eric Balfour for Harry, if he weren't so muscular. He has the full emotional range, the height, the dark looks, a wizard nose and chin, and does great snark.

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: January 08, 2013, 06:47:45 PM »
I like Eric Balfour for Harry, if he weren't so muscular. He has the full emotional range, the height, the dark looks, a wizard nose and chin, and does great snark.

Balfour doesn't look anything like how I picture Harry, and I don't see him doing the insouciant banter.

I think Brad Pitt would actually be a good match for Harry, if he weren't so much older.  I mean, he has the insouciant banter thing, he can do action movies and drama, and I can actually hear him saying a lot of the things Harry says.  Of course having him play someone with a brother that looks like (to my mind's eye) Stewart Townsend, could be a problem

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: January 09, 2013, 12:33:36 AM »
Im surprised that Im saying this because I dont have much respect for her body of work, or much respect for her as a person (which is based purely on the tabloids and so probably unfair), but I think that is actually part of why I think she could fit the role. 
So I put forth:

Kristen Stewart for Maeve

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: January 09, 2013, 12:56:37 AM »
Im surprised that Im saying this because I dont have much respect for her body of work, or much respect for her as a person (which is based purely on the tabloids and so probably unfair), but I think that is actually part of why I think she could fit the role. 
So I put forth:

Kristen Stewart for Maeve

I could see Maeve wearing that outfit... if the bottom looked more like the top.  And then make it varying shades of arctic colors.