Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1127049 times)

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #5550 on: December 24, 2012, 08:32:49 PM »
I wonder what Xander from buffy looks like now...
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline tuttman1234

• Needs A Life
  • King of Glomps *glompsyoujustby readingthisglomp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: December 24, 2012, 09:26:14 PM »

This is him in 2010
Flower gleam and glow, let your power shine. Make the clock reverse, bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt, change the fates design. Save what once was lost, bring back what once was mine, what once was mine.

For Mdodd. Rest in peace friend.

Drip, Drip, Drop.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: December 24, 2012, 09:53:25 PM »
He looks old. Too old for harry
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: December 25, 2012, 09:28:52 AM »
How about Chris Hemsworth as Harry?  He's about the right age, and he's also just about the only male actor under 30 who doesn't look too boyish...  I can almost hear him saying some of Harry's lines, but I'm not quite sure...

The only thing I know is that Paul Blackthorne is way too old.  At least for SF-Harry.  And I can't hear him saying the line from Changes about letting the world burn and roasting marshmallows with Maggie...
Rule #6: If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
Rule #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.  Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the back of the head.

Harry Anderson Talks Geek

Offline Kael Tucker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: December 25, 2012, 12:25:12 PM »
How about Chris Hemsworth as Harry?  He's about the right age, and he's also just about the only male actor under 30 who doesn't look too boyish...  I can almost hear him saying some of Harry's lines, but I'm not quite sure...

The only thing I know is that Paul Blackthorne is way too old.  At least for SF-Harry.  And I can't hear him saying the line from Changes about letting the world burn and roasting marshmallows with Maggie...

WOW! Really? You want Thor to play Harry Dresden..... I Know He can pull off the serious side, But I need to see him play something mostly comedic, or hear him read for Harry before I sign off on him.... If he were a bit older I could see him very much as Micheal.
" I'm just a big hairy american winning machine"

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: December 25, 2012, 05:54:24 PM »
WOW! Really? You want Thor to play Harry Dresden..... I Know He can pull off the serious side, But I need to see him play something mostly comedic, or hear him read for Harry before I sign off on him.... If he were a bit older I could see him very much as Micheal.

I don't necessarily want him to play Harry, but I don't know of any other actors that could.  And to say it's Thor playing Dresden is a disservice to the actor.  It's fine to say HeyItsThatGuy, but that's the same reason that Mark Hamill only did B movies and voice acting after Star Wars.

Granted, I've only seen Christopher Hemsworth play Thor and The Huntsman, but I am willing to think he might be able to do other kinds of roles.  Though Harry has dark hair, and Hemsworth is blond, and I don't know how he'd look if they died his hair.
Rule #6: If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
Rule #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.  Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the back of the head.

Offline Kael Tucker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: December 25, 2012, 08:14:38 PM »
I was kidding on the Thor comment, I am an old guy, well the same age group as Harry, and the one thing I love about TV and Movies now is that it is harder for a stigma to Stick on actors... I am a firm believer that Type casting is wrong, to Not hire someone because they were known as a character is wrong.  More than a few from when I was coming up are making a come back in a big way.

I believe that if a tv show, or movie were in the works, Casting Harry is going to be the hardest part.  No One who is already famous fits the mold right.  I would hope that the casting director would spend a lot of time, and cast hard because I believe in my heart of hearts that our Harry is going to be an Unknown actor.
" I'm just a big hairy american winning machine"

Offline Orbweaver

• Posty McPostington
  • Let the games begin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: December 25, 2012, 09:25:22 PM »
I'm going to do something crazy, and suggest Tilda Swinton as Mab.
In a world of black, white, and grey's... I'd be bright freaking purple. Resident Female Forum Denarian.

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: December 25, 2012, 09:33:13 PM »
I was kidding on the Thor comment, I am an old guy, well the same age group as Harry, and the one thing I love about TV and Movies now is that it is harder for a stigma to Stick on actors... I am a firm believer that Type casting is wrong, to Not hire someone because they were known as a character is wrong.  More than a few from when I was coming up are making a come back in a big way.

I believe that if a tv show, or movie were in the works, Casting Harry is going to be the hardest part.  No One who is already famous fits the mold right.  I would hope that the casting director would spend a lot of time, and cast hard because I believe in my heart of hearts that our Harry is going to be an Unknown actor.

On the other hand, very few actors these days seem to break out of the mold of the character that made them famous.  So few can completely disappear into the role.  Then too, certain actors get cast repeatedly as the same type of character, to the point where they are always seen as that character.

A good example of this is Bruce Willis, who seems to play a lot of renegade cops (not necessarily dirty, just cops that don't like to play by the rules) -- Die Hard, 16 Blocks, Last Boyscout
His character in Unbreakable was of a similar mold, but not quite the same, and he's played a few other characters that were different enough, but they're almost always action movies.

Mel Gibson plays a number of characters with strong similarities to Martin Riggs (Lethal Weapon) -- Tragic past is a common theme.  That said: He did a fabulous job as Lt. Gen. Hal Moore in We Were Soldiers.

Johnny Depp is a decent actor, but lately it seems like every movie he's in becomes Johnny Depp Does Stuff (f/ex. Alice in Wonderland, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sweeney Todd)  He was great as Jack Sparrow.  I liked how he played an a$$hole in Once Upon a Time in Mexico and his earlier movies like Edward Scissorhands and Benny and Joon were shear genius.  It's unfortunate that film-makers seem to see a need to tailor roles to fit him like Stanley Kubrick did for Jack Nicholson in The Shining, he's capable of so much more.

She was excellent as the Witch in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.  She would run a close second to Michelle Pfeiffer for me.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: December 25, 2012, 09:54:33 PM »
A lot of Johnny Depp's latest movies are with Tim Burton and Burton has a certain way
he wants things done so that's why a lot of Depps roles seem so simular.

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: December 25, 2012, 11:00:45 PM »
A lot of Johnny Depp's latest movies are with Tim Burton and Burton has a certain way
he wants things done so that's why a lot of Depps roles seem so simular.

Burton is a good director, but I think I'd want Guillermo Del Toro for Dresden Files...

Offline tuttman1234

• Needs A Life
  • King of Glomps *glompsyoujustby readingthisglomp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: December 26, 2012, 12:02:53 AM »
Burton is a good director, but I think I'd want Guillermo Del Toro for Dresden Files...

There is only one man I would want directing the DF, either in movie or TV format.

The great and powerful Whedon.
Flower gleam and glow, let your power shine. Make the clock reverse, bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt, change the fates design. Save what once was lost, bring back what once was mine, what once was mine.

For Mdodd. Rest in peace friend.

Drip, Drip, Drop.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: December 26, 2012, 02:49:11 AM »
^
Yeah, verily yeah!!

Offline KoshN

• Conversationalist
  • Babylon 5, Crusade, and Dresden Files fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: December 26, 2012, 06:49:14 PM »

Excellent.  Cate Blanchett would be another great choice.
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-------------------------------
"The Dresden Files" (2007)
Harry Dresden: [re. Bianca] What is it about bad girls?  They lie, cheat, won't suck your blood even when you beg them to, and for some reason, no matter how badly they treat us, we still can't walk away.

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: December 27, 2012, 06:20:48 AM »
There is only one man I would want directing the DF, either in movie or TV format.

The great and powerful Whedon.

The only series Whedon made that I liked was Firefly.  Out of all of Buffy and Angel, I liked exactly one episode of each.  The nightmare episode of Buffy, where the kid was projecting from a coma and causing everyone's worst fears to come to life.  With Angel, it was Smile Time.

Serenity was a good movie, and it didn't leave too much out considering time constraints, but I think I would like to see Dresden done in the style of Hellboy, as opposed to the style of Angel/Buffy.