Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1127161 times)

Offline Homer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #5415 on: December 02, 2012, 08:18:04 PM »
Nah, he'd be Kincaid if he was anyone, although I prefer Reed Diamond or Neil Patrick Harris for them. He could be Binder, I guess, but I always pictured him as Mark Sheppard. Nicholas Brendon or Sean Maher could be Slate, although there are probably better candidates.

I have Mark Sheppard for Binder too.
Slinky + Escalator = Endless Fun

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5416 on: December 02, 2012, 09:38:21 PM »
Ok. I'm really getting on the Liam Neeson for Michael Train.
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline tuttman1234

• Needs A Life
  • King of Glomps *glompsyoujustby readingthisglomp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: December 02, 2012, 09:40:08 PM »
One thought I had was Taye Diggs for the fixer that meets with Murphy at the beginning of Ghost Story.
Flower gleam and glow, let your power shine. Make the clock reverse, bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt, change the fates design. Save what once was lost, bring back what once was mine, what once was mine.

For Mdodd. Rest in peace friend.

Drip, Drip, Drop.

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: December 03, 2012, 02:55:59 AM »
Nah, he'd be Kincaid if he was anyone, although I prefer Reed Diamond or Neil Patrick Harris for them. He could be Binder, I guess, but I always pictured him as Mark Sheppard. Nicholas Brendon or Sean Maher could be Slate, although there are probably better candidates.
Neither Reed Diamond or NPH scream "bad ass assassin" to me.
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline Pinary

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5419 on: December 03, 2012, 03:11:47 AM »
I just re-read over Tilly's scenes in Changes, trying a few people out for them, and now that I've done it, I'm pretty sure Sean Maher's my permanent Tilly.
There's no better promise of entertainment to come than a brief, subtle mention of Harry making some calls off-screen.

Offline tuttman1234

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5420 on: December 03, 2012, 03:13:33 AM »
Really, cause I always pictured the guy from Castle that plays Ryan.
Flower gleam and glow, let your power shine. Make the clock reverse, bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt, change the fates design. Save what once was lost, bring back what once was mine, what once was mine.

Drip, Drip, Drop.

Offline Pinary

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5421 on: December 03, 2012, 03:23:08 AM »
I can see that. Ryan seems a bit faster-paced, more openly emotional, but I could definitely see him working in the part.
There's no better promise of entertainment to come than a brief, subtle mention of Harry making some calls off-screen.

Offline tuttman1234

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5422 on: December 03, 2012, 03:24:24 AM »
Yeah, I have a hard time seeing Sean pull off cop. And Tilly needs someone who can pull off cop.

Drip, Drip, Drop.

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: December 03, 2012, 06:15:37 AM »
How about Armand Assante as John Marcone?

I get the feeling that Marcone is not a young man, though it's never been stated how old he is.  He's supposed to be athletic enough to board a moving train from a helicopter.  He knows his way around an assault rifle and is pretty handy with a knife.  I could almost see Anthony Hopkins in the role, truthfully...
Rule #6: If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
Rule #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.  Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the back of the head.

Harry Anderson Talks Geek

Offline yaddayadda

• Participant
  • Don't yadda yadda the Lord, It's disrespectful
    • View Profile
« Reply #5424 on: December 03, 2012, 07:08:02 AM »
Oh - I love Nathan Fillian but he's just gained too much weight to be Dresden (sorry, but true)

Offline yaddayadda

• Participant
  • Don't yadda yadda the Lord, It's disrespectful
    • View Profile
« Reply #5425 on: December 03, 2012, 07:09:11 AM »
James Marsters. They can compensate for height

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: December 03, 2012, 08:17:07 AM »
James Marsters. They can compensate for height

the problem is that they have to start out with someone who can pass for 28...

Personally, I don't see Marsters as Harry.  I've never listened to the audiobooks, but even if he does have the right voice, I don't see him looking like Harry.

That said, they can do a lot with makeup...

How about Donald Sutherland as Arthur Langtree?
Rule #6: If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
Rule #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.  Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the back of the head.

Harry Anderson Talks Geek

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
« Reply #5427 on: December 03, 2012, 01:07:32 PM »
I thought Ian McKellan was contractually bound to play all old wizard types in Hollywood these days...

I would go with Sean Connery, personally. Gray but still potentially bad-ass.
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline Kael Tucker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5428 on: December 03, 2012, 01:49:47 PM »
the problem is that they have to start out with someone who can pass for 28...

Personally, I don't see Marsters as Harry.  I've never listened to the audiobooks, but even if he does have the right voice, I don't see him looking like Harry.

That said, they can do a lot with makeup...

How about Donald Sutherland as Arthur Langtree?

I started with the audio books, He does an excellent job with all the characters. I travel alot, and there is something satisfying about being able to listen to your book while on the road, especially when you have precious little time to read.  I have listened to a bunch of books, and he is by far in the top five of people who read these stories. I recently listened to ghost story, It was narrated by someone else ( I forget his name ) But though he did a credible job... It just wasn't right. The whole presentation was... just one off of what it was supposed to be.  Like that phone call from someone you know well, and for some reason you just can't recognize the voice, like it is not them.

I have no Idea what he looks like, and I am not giving him a blessing to play Harry on TV, but what ever they are paying him to play him on radio... it is well worth it.

As for TV/Movie Casting... I think that Liam Neason can play any number of characters in Dresden Universe and get away with it.  Top Three I would choose for him are.... Micheal, Morgan, and The Merlin... in that order
" I'm just a big hairy american winning machine"

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5429 on: December 03, 2012, 03:19:13 PM »
I thought Ian McKellan was contractually bound to play all old wizard types in Hollywood these days...

I would go with Sean Connery, personally. Gray but still potentially bad-ass.
Nah, Lanktry has to be an incarnate @$$hole, skinny and possessed of a barely concealed disdain. 

To me that screams Hugh Laurie:
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain