Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1125097 times)

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #5100 on: June 23, 2012, 04:37:02 AM »
I don't know if these have been suggested before, but I think Benedict Cumberbatch would be a great Nicodemus. With his hair cut short and dyed a bit for the silver streak, he'd fit the description, and he's got enough coldness to play Nick. He's chillingly cold in parts of Sherlock.

I also think that Summer Glau would make a good post-Corpsetaker Luccio, although I also think she might make a good Lash (I know she doesn't fith the description, but hey.)

You had me at Benedict Cumberbatch. It's so hard to be a fangirl.
But, seriously though, I think he could pull it off.
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: June 23, 2012, 10:59:32 AM »
Ian Mkellen (probably not spelling his name right)? He did Gandalf, so it might be wierd, given the number of LotR references.

I also think Sean Connery would be a good Eb.

I don't know if anyone else has said this, but Sarah Michelle Gellar might be good as Murphy (I know her eyes are the wrong colour, but I can't be the onmly one who pictured her when reading Murph's description in Storm Front).
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: June 23, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
I had suggested Brimly for Eb, then someone suggested the guy from Lonesome Dove (can't remember his name)

How about the guy who played Magneto for Langtry?  Ian McKel-something.

Ian McKellen?  My only issue is that he's already known as Gandalf.  And Christopher Lee is already known as Saruman.  Surely we can find another iconic British actor for Langtry.  I just hate to rehash the genre.

What about Bill Nighy?  He's done fantasy/scifi work, but I can't think of any wizard roles off the top of my head.

If it weren't for the description of large silver locks, I'd say Patrick Stewart could be Langtry. But only IF Langtry ends up being a good guy.

And of course, who could not want Jeremy Irons in the series?   But only IF Langtry ends up being a bad guy.  Maybe DuMorne instead?  Seen only in flashbacks?

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: June 23, 2012, 01:32:28 PM »
I could see Jeremy Irons as Lord Raith or Nicodemus (see my above post for my preferred Nick), but I don't know about Langtry.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline staren0286

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: June 24, 2012, 01:35:30 AM »
People I for sure have set in my head when I read the books:

Marcone: Eric Roberts
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000616/
Sanya: Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Mr Eko from Lost)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0015382/
Father Forthill: Henry Gibson
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002099/
Morgan: Billy Connolly
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0175262/

The rest tend to be people I constructed from the descriptions in the books they dont really match actors off the top of my head. But the above were dead on for me no questions they're who I see when I read. Also if they do a movie James Marsters has to voice Bob no questions.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: June 24, 2012, 11:17:05 AM »
People I for sure have set in my head when I read the books:

Marcone: Eric Roberts
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000616/
Sanya: Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Mr Eko from Lost)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0015382/
Father Forthill: Henry Gibson
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002099/
Morgan: Billy Connolly
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0175262/

The rest tend to be people I constructed from the descriptions in the books they dont really match actors off the top of my head. But the above were dead on for me no questions they're who I see when I read. Also if they do a movie James Marsters has to voice Bob no questions.

I'd say that Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje and Henry Gibson are both on point with how I picture them, except that Adewale might be too old; I picture Sanya as around Harry's age.

Roberts smiles too much for Marcone, and he's only sinister when he smiles.  For Marcone, you need a sinister look with a straight face.

I picture Adrian Pasdar as Marcone.  He's 47 now, so a touch of grey at the temples will be about right. 

And I'm a Billy Connolley fan, but that's not how I see Morgan.  I honestly can't say who I picture Morgan as, because he's always just been this big, older wrestler-type.  Someone that has the height of Harry, but a lot of muscle.  And a bad attitude.  But since I can't think of anyone, oh well.  In the meantime, here's a picture of Mark Calaway, a.k.a. The Undertaker...

And on a random tangent, Colin Salmon is how I picture Warden Chandler, a.k.a. 'Steed'.  If you've seen the James Bond film The World is Not Enough, he played Charles Robinson, the chief of MI6.  He had that stuffy British ministry vibe combined with a bit of humor, which is perfect for Steed.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:05:46 PM by Griffyn612 »

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: June 25, 2012, 02:57:16 AM »
IIRC, Jim said he pictured Clancy Brown (the Kurgan from The Highlander) as Morgan.

I could see the Undertaker done up like the Erlking.

Offline RJRobb2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: June 25, 2012, 03:42:50 AM »
I cannot believe so many people have Nathan Fillion as Harry.  I dont think I can even watch it if that was the case.  He just doesnt match, at all. 

The perfect actor for Harry is Timothy Olyphant.  If you have seen Justified, you know why.  When I watch that show, Raylan is like Harry's long lost brother.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5108 on: June 25, 2012, 12:58:50 PM »
I think I have finally settled on Michael Fassbender as Harry.  Hes got the best face and emotional range for it that I have found, and isnt so popular that he is famous for another role. 

As much as I like Nathan Fillion, he just doesnt fit, especially these days as he is getting older and thicker.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5109 on: June 25, 2012, 05:09:22 PM »
I also think that Summer Glau would make a good post-Corpsetaker Luccio, although I also think she might make a good Lash (I know she doesn't fith the description, but hey.)

You've just made a friend.

I had suggested Brimly for Eb, then someone suggested the guy from Lonesome Dove (can't remember his name)

Robert Duvall?  Also Boo Radley in To Kill a Mockingbird,  Tom Hagen from the Godfather, Lucky Ned Pepper from True Grit, Frank Burns in MASH (movie), Hub McCann from Secondhand Lions, ...  I could keep going, but you get the picture.  Shecky suggested it and I agree, but that may be because I'm a great big Duvall fan.

The perfect actor for Harry is Timothy Olyphant.  If you have seen Justified, you know why.  When I watch that show, Raylan is like Harry's long lost brother.

I wouldn't say perfect, but he's closer than Fillion.
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: June 25, 2012, 09:29:04 PM »
You've just made a friend.

Thanks. She could do Luccio, although I'm not sure about the accent (her russian one in Angel was pretty good, but her british accent in Firefly was cringeworthy). I think she'd be good as Lash because we're supposed to feel sorry for her on some level, while still recognising how dangerous she is, and Glau already pulled a similar role off in The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: June 25, 2012, 11:18:23 PM »
this thread will never die. ugh.

Offline warden_fernandez

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: June 26, 2012, 08:48:18 AM »
I think Christopher Meloni would be a great Marcone... although he would need green contact lenses. But maybe it's because I just saw him on True Blood ...http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1815655424/nm0005221
like 'love','hope' is one of those ridiculously disproportional words that by all rights should be a lot longer

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: June 26, 2012, 08:49:08 AM »
I think I suggested him awhile back.

Offline Oddball

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: June 26, 2012, 05:56:17 PM »
Benedict Cumberbatch as Warden Chandler or wizard peabody but Nicodemus not so much, Jeremy Irons as Nicodemus yes.