Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1126804 times)

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #5055 on: May 27, 2012, 05:50:29 PM »
For me, in my two cents opinion, the main characters, Dresden, Murphy, Molly at least, should be relatively unknown actors, who are not associated with any other well-recognized role.  I'm kinda funny that way.  Harry - and company - deserves their very own, untainted images.

I admit I don't recognize several names on the poll (I have a very limited TV/movie interest currently), but the ones I see listed, that I know of, are totally not right for this part.  Nathan F.?  Ugh.  Not even close, as is Gerard Butler and Jared P.  They do absolutely nothing for me, and do not fit my understanding of Jim's descriptions.  Isn't Dresden supposed to be very tall, with an angular face?  That's what I want.  The real deal.  And no buzz cut hair, or whatever the current style is.  Keep Harry pure Harry!
"I exist, therefore, I obsess."

Offline Fuego de Alma

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: May 29, 2012, 12:06:42 AM »
Isn't Dresden supposed to be very tall, with an angular face?  . . .  And no buzz cut hair, or whatever the current style is.
Yeah, you know you just described Nathan Fillion after dismissing him out of hand, right?

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: May 29, 2012, 12:44:22 AM »
Yeah, you know you just described Nathan Fillion after dismissing him out of hand, right?

Harry Dresden is described as lean, with only runner's muscle, and is approximately 6'7".

Nathan Fillion is 6'1&1/2" tall, and he's stocky.  If you've watched any of Castle, you'd see that he's beefed up a lot.  He had about 10 tons of muscle at the beginning of this last season for some reason, and I was suspicious that he might have been filming a superhero film on the sly.

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: May 29, 2012, 01:58:01 AM »
Harry Dresden is described as lean, with only runner's muscle, and is approximately 6'7".

Nathan Fillion is 6'1&1/2" tall, and he's stocky.  If you've watched any of Castle, you'd see that he's beefed up a lot.  He had about 10 tons of muscle at the beginning of this last season for some reason, and I was suspicious that he might have been filming a superhero film on the sly.

Exactly.  Nathan does not fit the description of Harry at all.  And I think he's too old...or he just looks it anyway.  And he has a heavy nasal tone, like a constant stuffy nose quality to his voice, even though it's a baritone, which is also Harry's tone of voice according to Jim.  But that's the only similarity.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: May 29, 2012, 02:29:37 AM »
Exactly.  Nathan does not fit the description of Harry at all.  And I think he's too old...or he just looks it anyway.  And he has a heavy nasal tone, like a constant stuffy nose quality to his voice, even though it's a baritone, which is also Harry's tone of voice according to Jim.  But that's the only similarity.

Well, technically they're both white with dark hair, so he's kind of similar.  He's what I picture Michael to be maybe, but not Harry.

When he was younger and leaner, and his 6'1&1/2" got his farther, he might have been able to do it.  And he has a decent voice for 1st person narration, as seen in the noir episode of Castle this past year. 

But I'm still not seeing him as Harry.

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: May 29, 2012, 03:04:10 AM »
Well, technically they're both white with dark hair, so he's kind of similar.  He's what I picture Michael to be maybe, but not Harry.

When he was younger and leaner, and his 6'1&1/2" got his farther, he might have been able to do it.  And he has a decent voice for 1st person narration, as seen in the noir episode of Castle this past year. 

But I'm still not seeing him as Harry.

LOL...yes there are those similarities you mentioned.  I just took them for granted.   :)

I think my problem is that I have this image of Harry in my mind and he looks pretty much like the book covers, and I can't get it out of my head.  Cause I like it too much.   :P

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: May 29, 2012, 03:50:30 AM »
LOL...yes there are those similarities you mentioned.  I just took them for granted.   :)

I think my problem is that I have this image of Harry in my mind and he looks pretty much like the book covers, and I can't get it out of my head.  Cause I like it too much.   :P

I think Christian McGrath models his cover art figures on real-world people.  I don't know who he uses for Dresden, but here's a picture of CMcG himself...

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: May 29, 2012, 04:12:08 AM »
Interesting...the artist himself looks a bit like Harry, dark, angular face, thin frame, though he isn't quite as attractive as Harry.  Maybe he used himself as a rough draft. 

Offline Thessaly

• Conversationalist
  • Moon Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: June 01, 2012, 06:02:26 AM »
Tim Burton does not work well with other people's material. He's a talented director but I don't want him within a mile of The Dresden Files.

I can see the simple truth in that. Furthermore, his works tend to be very similar to one another and it's important that the subject matter (any subject matter) that you did not create but took on is dealt with in its own, unique way.

As to the cast, I'm pretty much in the corner of those that would hope for otherwise "unknown" actors (and actresses) taking the lead roles. This isn't to say that they're blank slates, but that they're not really famous for a particular role at the time of their casting. Whether this is possible remains to be seen, although it's worked for quite a few shows that made this gutsy move that usually flies counter to what producers and studio execs want. But those producers and executives aren't in it for the show, they're speaking entirely from greed. The less they have their sticky fingers in something the better the projects always are. (This applies to movies and television equally. There are numerous examples; out of sequence episodes, poor but famous ensemble casts that have absolutely no chemistry, etcetera.)
Apologies in advance to those that take out-of-milieu but established character names for their own, but I read it first and it stuck a chord. Zero sarcasm intended.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: June 01, 2012, 05:21:41 PM »
I can see the simple truth in that. Furthermore, his works tend to be very similar to one another and it's important that the subject matter (any subject matter) that you did not create but took on is dealt with in its own, unique way.

As to the cast, I'm pretty much in the corner of those that would hope for otherwise "unknown" actors (and actresses) taking the lead roles. This isn't to say that they're blank slates, but that they're not really famous for a particular role at the time of their casting. Whether this is possible remains to be seen, although it's worked for quite a few shows that made this gutsy move that usually flies counter to what producers and studio execs want. But those producers and executives aren't in it for the show, they're speaking entirely from greed. The less they have their sticky fingers in something the better the projects always are. (This applies to movies and television equally. There are numerous examples; out of sequence episodes, poor but famous ensemble casts that have absolutely no chemistry, etcetera.)

See, part of me agrees with the unknown actors bit, at least for the lead roles.  Part of me thinks that lesser known actors that are still good would be best, so that when people watch, they see the characters, not the actors they know playing the characters.

On the other hand, putting in some well known actors would bring some legitimacy to the show, and garner fan interest.  For instance, casting Nathan Fillion as Michael Carpenter would interest his entire fanbase, and might increase viewership.  But it has to be the right fit for the character first.

I think having guest appearances by big names would be best.  I like the idea of Helen Mirren as Mother Summer and Judi Dench as Mother Winter.  Big names that can also act the part convincingly.  And I like the idea of casting capable actors in really small parts too.  I've always pictured Michael Chiklis as Mac, even though he doesn't fit the physical description.  But the first time I thought of Michael Chiklis in the series was page one of SF, when JB described the new mailman as looking like a basketball.  I immediately though of Chiklis.  Casting more recognized people for smaller parts would definitely be a plus, as long as they fit. 

Offline Thessaly

• Conversationalist
  • Moon Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: June 02, 2012, 08:40:22 PM »
See, part of me agrees with the unknown actors bit, at least for the lead roles.  Part of me thinks that lesser known actors that are still good would be best, so that when people watch, they see the characters, not the actors they know playing the characters.

On the other hand, putting in some well known actors would bring some legitimacy to the show, and garner fan interest.  For instance, casting Nathan Fillion as Michael Carpenter would interest his entire fanbase, and might increase viewership.  But it has to be the right fit for the character first.

I think having guest appearances by big names would be best.  I like the idea of Helen Mirren as Mother Summer and Judi Dench as Mother Winter.  Big names that can also act the part convincingly.  And I like the idea of casting capable actors in really small parts too.  I've always pictured Michael Chiklis as Mac, even though he doesn't fit the physical description.  But the first time I thought of Michael Chiklis in the series was page one of SF, when JB described the new mailman as looking like a basketball.  I immediately though of Chiklis.  Casting more recognized people for smaller parts would definitely be a plus, as long as they fit.

I can easily concede you those points.

Lesser known actors, such as Peter Dinklage who has done a fair bit of filmwork prior to starring in Game of Thrones, pass off their parts with aplomb and weight that most of us simply wouldn't have expected. Despite familiarity with the actor and a great deal of character discrepancies (Tyrion's appearance vs Peter's), it just feels right that he was cast for that part.

I'm a huge fan of Nathan Fillion (admittedly mostly from his work on Firefly and thereafter), and despite those very impressionable roles, he still has some flexibility and hasn't been typecast in his works as strongly as, say, Timothy Olyphant (Deadwood, Justified; always the dignified but loose cannon pretty-boy lawman). He could certainly do, as you exampled, Michael convincingly. But could someone do better? I think so. And I'd take that risk in a heartbeat, despite my manly love for Nathan.

There's also the concern that well established actors justifiably get paid more, and that would detract from the film's overall budget. Certainly the film could gross more due to the fanbase the actors bring with them, but it doesn't change the budget of the film and that's very important. Sets & effects vs actor appeal isn't a hard decision in my books. I'm as much a proponent of actor-driven dramas, but the stage has to be convincing too otherwise it all falls apart.

I've been told I'm a pragmatic sort of thinker in this regard, as I remove possibilities based on the above. I still enjoy visualising what people are suggesting for parts though. Without scrolling back over 337 pages, what are the fan favourites at the moment? The poll doesn't seem very indicative.
Apologies in advance to those that take out-of-milieu but established character names for their own, but I read it first and it stuck a chord. Zero sarcasm intended.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: June 02, 2012, 09:39:53 PM »
I can easily concede you those points.

Lesser known actors, such as Peter Dinklage who has done a fair bit of filmwork prior to starring in Game of Thrones, pass off their parts with aplomb and weight that most of us simply wouldn't have expected. Despite familiarity with the actor and a great deal of character discrepancies (Tyrion's appearance vs Peter's), it just feels right that he was cast for that part.

I'm a huge fan of Nathan Fillion (admittedly mostly from his work on Firefly and thereafter), and despite those very impressionable roles, he still has some flexibility and hasn't been typecast in his works as strongly as, say, Timothy Olyphant (Deadwood, Justified; always the dignified but loose cannon pretty-boy lawman). He could certainly do, as you exampled, Michael convincingly. But could someone do better? I think so. And I'd take that risk in a heartbeat, despite my manly love for Nathan.

There's also the concern that well established actors justifiably get paid more, and that would detract from the film's overall budget. Certainly the film could gross more due to the fanbase the actors bring with them, but it doesn't change the budget of the film and that's very important. Sets & effects vs actor appeal isn't a hard decision in my books. I'm as much a proponent of actor-driven dramas, but the stage has to be convincing too otherwise it all falls apart.

I've been told I'm a pragmatic sort of thinker in this regard, as I remove possibilities based on the above. I still enjoy visualising what people are suggesting for parts though. Without scrolling back over 337 pages, what are the fan favourites at the moment? The poll doesn't seem very indicative.

There doesn't seem to be any consistency.  People tend to like one actor and stick to them, or bounce back and forth.  I know I've posted many candidates, but I'm not hung on any.  I'm open to suggestions.

The constant casting of favorites from other shows is frustrating, but I do it myself.    I just watched Primeval, and immediately started thinking of people I'd bring to a DF serires.  Same for Merlin, which I'm watching now.

I originally wanted a lot of international casting.  My first thought was for all of the Fae to be actors and actresses brought in from Europe or Australia. And cast all of the known Red Court from South America.  That way there could be established actors, but Americans wouldn't recognize them , and it would increase marketability for international broadcast.

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5067 on: June 04, 2012, 02:18:48 PM »
I still say Anthony Hopkins for Nic.

And Christopher Walken I think would work as Injun Joe ;D
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: June 05, 2012, 01:24:46 AM »
Having watched Unstoppable again.  I do like that movie.
I think Chris Pine could be either Harry or Thomas.
As for Injun Joe - Wes Studi.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:26:41 AM by Snowleopard »

Offline Homer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: June 05, 2012, 08:21:55 PM »
As for Injun Joe - Wes Studi.

I can't believe I didn't think of him.
Slinky + Escalator = Endless Fun