Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1126885 times)

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
  • Loneliness or solitude?
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #5010 on: May 09, 2012, 01:23:10 AM »
Sigh, I like you mdodd - don't make me have to hurt you.
NO, NO, NO, NO, NO - Tom Cruise in a Harry Dresden film - not now - not ever.
He isn't right - on top of which - he'd probably demand changes that would make it not HD..
This.  Many, many times this.
Everyone on this earth wants to feel like they matter.

Offline mdodd

• Seriously?
  • OH, IT'S HIM. @paceace1094
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: May 09, 2012, 01:37:28 AM »
I am very, very confused. I thought I was making valid points for Tom Cruise not playing Harry Dresden a) because you would need a fork lift truck to get him up to 6 feet 7 inches b) you could get him if they did a role reversal (as per Magnus' post) with the wizard being female and the cop being male (you could put a camera in Ms Nielsens chest for his close-up's). Minority Report is one of my favourite films but you can't have him playing a tall person. Now Toot Toot on the other hand.....
One year's forum service, nearly two
--------------------------------------------------------
“And the people next door oppress me all night long. I tell them, I work all day, a man's got to have some time to learn to play the tuba. ― Terry Pratchett.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: May 09, 2012, 02:07:27 AM »
I am very, very confused. I thought I was making valid points for Tom Cruise not playing Harry Dresden a) because you would need a fork lift truck to get him up to 6 feet 7 inches b) you could get him if they did a role reversal (as per Magnus' post) with the wizard being female and the cop being male (you could put a camera in Ms Nielsens chest for his close-up's). Minority Report is one of my favourite films but you can't have him playing a tall person. Now Toot Toot on the other hand.....

Its all fun and games until Hollywood decides to cast 5'7" 160lb brown-haired Tom Cruise as 6'5" 250lb blond-haired Jack Reacher.

Then the tears begin.

Offline mdodd

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: May 09, 2012, 02:15:38 AM »
That's when they start getting the Dear Sir letters from polite, irate fans and You &!£* from the less polite.
“And the people next door oppress me all night long. I tell them, I work all day, a man's got to have some time to learn to play the tuba. ― Terry Pratchett.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: May 09, 2012, 02:55:35 AM »
lol, I vaguely remember this show from back in the day.  This is totally Murphy and Dresden.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: May 09, 2012, 02:57:18 AM »
I remember the show, but I don't like the blonde.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: May 09, 2012, 06:20:45 AM »
Me either frankly.
As for Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.
I suspect that Mr. Cruise liked the character so he bought the rights.
The fact that he might physically not be perfect for it, nor have the acting chops
for it wouldn't stop him for a minute.
I've already heard of one property where he wanted to buy it - but the writer told him that he was
too young for the part.  The writer was told that he could just rewrite it - which would have completely destroyed the story.  The writer said no and fortunately someone came along who was the right age and
bought his script.

Offline mdodd

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: May 09, 2012, 06:29:45 PM »
lol, I vaguely remember this show from back in the day.  This is totally Murphy and Dresden.

Agreed 100 per cent

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: May 09, 2012, 06:48:43 PM »

Well, he throws lightning, and she is Tiny but Fierce, so sure I could buy that.  But I agree with Dina that the blond isnt right for Murphy.  Ive seen her a few times, and she's not one who can suppress her sensuality enough to be the hardened cop chick that murphy needs to be, especially in the early books.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: May 09, 2012, 09:37:54 PM »
Exactly that, she is too hot for Murphy  :D
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: May 09, 2012, 09:40:25 PM »
Elaine however?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: May 09, 2012, 09:46:48 PM »
Well, I don't like Eleaine, so that girl would be perfect for her  :D. But seriously, I always saw Elaine much more sophisticated. Like an Engliswoman stereotype.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: May 10, 2012, 01:19:18 AM »
Oops, sorry, I got Susan and Elaine mixed up.  I've never really thought much
about Elaine.  Might be interesting if she was a pale blond in opposition to Harry's darker look.

Murphy is described as looking cute which is why she's had to work twice as hard
to be considered a good cop.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:20:51 AM by Snowleopard »

Offline GiantCorgi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • My Dragons
« Reply #5023 on: May 18, 2012, 02:24:05 PM »
I'm going Nathan Fillion all the way, if we can't have Marsters. I could also see Robert Downey Jr. I realize they are getting up in years, but some makeup and you'd never know. Absolutely no way on Hugh Jackson or Ryan Reynolds, imo they are entirely wrong for the role.

If the directors demanded a younger guy....hmmm. Man having a hard time thinking of someone. My husband? :P He's a wiseass, he's tall, and he has brown hair and is a major dork. As in, my engagement ring is custom made to look like a green lantern ring. That dorky. :P If he lost some weight I could totally see him doing it.

Now Murphy? Hmmm...hell, why not bring back Stana Katic. We already know she plays a good cop and plays well with Fillion.

Bruce Willis for Morgan.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 02:26:18 PM by GiantCorgi »

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: May 18, 2012, 02:29:43 PM »
If the directors demanded a younger guy....hmmm. Man having a hard time thinking of someone. My husband? :P He's a wiseass, he's tall, and he has brown hair and is a major dork. As in, my engagement ring is custom made to look like a green lantern ring. That dorky. :P If he lost some weight I could totally see him doing it.
Thats Awesome!   Do have a picture of this Ring?  Has he made you a lantern yet?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain