Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1124461 times)

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #4890 on: March 08, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
I find it difficult to envision Zachary Levi as a badass. Harry can be terrifying as well as being funny. Has Levi ever been terrifying? I never did keep up with Chuck, so maybe he has been, but he seemed to be mostly rather bumbling and overwhelmed.
This message brought to you by a cloud of neurotransmitters.

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #4891 on: March 08, 2012, 10:07:30 PM »
I find it difficult to envision Zachary Levi as a badass. Harry can be terrifying as well as being funny. Has Levi ever been terrifying? I never did keep up with Chuck, so maybe he has been, but he seemed to be mostly rather bumbling and overwhelmed.

I think he can pull it off.

She probably could, yes. She was brilliant as "The Woman." (Jaime Murray is also English, and I'd like to see her as Lara (she's got the black hair for it) or one of the Fae)
You know, maybe we should.

I support this. Both of these.
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline Fuego de Alma

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: March 08, 2012, 10:08:41 PM »
Can Lara Pulver, Irene Adler, pull off Lara Raith?

What was it that Harry said about Lara doing more for him just sitting in a chair than Madeline could ever hope to do?

spoilered for (tasteful) nudity
(click to show/hide)

I'm a straight woman and I still think that's pretty sexy.

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: March 08, 2012, 10:14:25 PM »
(click to show/hide)

...I'm a not-entirely-straight woman, and that is smoking hot.

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #4894 on: March 08, 2012, 10:17:58 PM »
What was it that Harry said about Lara doing more for him just sitting in a chair than Madeline could ever hope to do?

spoilered for (tasteful) nudity
(click to show/hide)

I once said that Irene Adler is the only woman I'd ever go bi for. hot and sexy, that picture is.
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: March 08, 2012, 10:18:51 PM »

I don't know, the character Chuck never really had an opportunity to be bad ass.  The character itself was only supposed to be a geeky, intelligent nerd, uncomfortable with most social and combat settings.  As the character progressed, we saw a more physically active Chuck, but even when he was supposed to be a bad ass super spy, he was still just Chuck Bartowski pretending to be a spy.  It was Levi staying in character as another character, and it worked really well.  Whether Levi could, as an actor unrestricted by the script, play a bad ass, I don't know.  I haven't seen him in anything but Chuck.

But from what I've seen of his acting skills on chuck, I wouldn't put it past him.

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #4896 on: March 08, 2012, 10:53:11 PM »
I don't know, the character Chuck never really had an opportunity to be bad ass.  The character itself was only supposed to be a geeky, intelligent nerd, uncomfortable with most social and combat settings.  As the character progressed, we saw a more physically active Chuck, but even when he was supposed to be a bad ass super spy, he was still just Chuck Bartowski pretending to be a spy.  It was Levi staying in character as another character, and it worked really well.  Whether Levi could, as an actor unrestricted by the script, play a bad ass, I don't know.  I haven't seen him in anything but Chuck.

But from what I've seen of his acting skills on chuck, I wouldn't put it past him.

I think he can pull it off.

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: March 08, 2012, 11:48:42 PM »
Perhaps. Actors can be really good in some roles without necessarily being able to do  absolutely anything they want, performance-wise. Someone can be really good at playing a wise mentor type, say, but be hopeless at playing the villain. If I haven't seen someone deliver a performance that assures me they can play that sort of character, I don't bank on them. (of course, if I were actually a casting director, I could ask for auditions and then there would be no questions, but as it stands I'm forced to draw on what I've actually seen people do.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: March 08, 2012, 11:57:46 PM »
Perhaps. Actors can be really good in some roles without necessarily being able to do  absolutely anything they want, performance-wise. Someone can be really good at playing a wise mentor type, say, but be hopeless at playing the villain. If I haven't seen someone deliver a performance that assures me they can play that sort of character, I don't bank on them. (of course, if I were actually a casting director, I could ask for auditions and then there would be no questions, but as it stands I'm forced to draw on what I've actually seen people do.

True, and I'm not saying anyone I recommend would get a role based on looks alone.  But he looks like what I imagine Harry to be.  Although, my first choice overall would still be a slimmed down, less muscled Eric Balfour.  He's in the right height realm (6' 2"+), he's got the dark hair and complexion, and something about his chin and nose just yell bad ass wizard to me.  But if you've seen him act in Haven, he can also pull off the embarassed, aw-shucks moments that I think Harry would require.

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: March 20, 2012, 07:50:29 PM »
I believe I am in the minority here but I just can't picture David Tennant as Harry.  In my mind, Harry is more sturdy/muscular than Tennant appears to be. 
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
« Reply #4900 on: March 20, 2012, 07:54:50 PM »
I believe I am in the minority here but I just can't picture David Tennant as Harry.  In my mind, Harry is more sturdy/muscular than Tennant appears to be.

I see him as thin and reedy with tense runners muscle. Tennant could pull that off and he's relatively tall too (6'1").  Still, I would rather get a Harry that can pull off the attitude than one who matches physically. I'm sure that Tennant could pull off the attitude, but I'd rather see him for someone else.
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: March 20, 2012, 07:59:52 PM »
I haven't seen him in anything other than as Who.  I think I would have a hard time seeing him as anything other than the Doctor.
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Online Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: March 20, 2012, 08:00:29 PM »
Barty Crouch Jr.!
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: March 20, 2012, 08:06:25 PM »
You mean you can't see him as Nicodemus?

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: March 20, 2012, 08:11:53 PM »
I can't see him as Harry.  I can see Matthew Fox as Harry though (he is supposed to be 6'2").

I just realized he is 45.  Rats.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:14:47 PM by Chiana »