Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1124466 times)

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #4875 on: March 08, 2012, 06:45:19 AM »
...when I saw this, I screamed and screamed in delightful fangirliness. I think you broke me.
Sweet  ;D

I think I want Moffat and Gatiss to try doing Dresden Files on BBC now.
OMG, yes.

My only concern with David Tennant is that he's 6'1", max.  Which is around 6" too short for Harry.  I think, at minimum, the actor chosen should be 6'3" or taller.  Hollywood tends to lie about heights as well, so my only concern would be that his 6'1" is really 5'11" or something.  Zachary Levi is 6'4", which is close enough for me.
Yeah, height is a factor, but it's not like Tennant is short. I mean, I've seen Marsters be mentioned several times as a possible Harry, and he's about 5'9", and most actors mentioned are in the 6'1"-6'2" range. Tennant has the advantage of being very lanky and able to look taller than he is on camera. Add a few camera tricks and some simple shoe lisfts and you'd probably be set. (Also, he's not technically in Hollywood, so their lies about height don't really apply, amiright?)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:56:44 AM by NeuroHeart »
This message brought to you by a cloud of neurotransmitters.

Offline Fuego de Alma

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4876 on: March 08, 2012, 06:48:59 AM »
Now Benedict Cumberbatch and Matt Bomer are fighting for Thomas in my head and ...augh I can't decide.
Go listen to this reading of "Ode to a Nightengale" and get back to me on that. ;)

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #4877 on: March 08, 2012, 07:42:12 AM »
Go listen to this reading of "Ode to a Nightengale" and get back to me on that. ;)

Damn. That just made me want Ben to go and read Dresden Files. Stop that.
and... well... augh. No, it didn't help, I keep remembering Matt Bomer's pretty face and... well... augh.

OMG, yes.

Imagine Jim's writing in those two people's hands.

People are going to explode.
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: March 08, 2012, 08:20:38 AM »
Damn. That just made me want Ben to go and read Dresden Files. Stop that.
Agreed. At one point I was very upset by the idea of anyone but Marsters reading the audiobooks, but... I'd make an exception.

and... well... augh. No, it didn't help, I keep remembering Matt Bomer's pretty face and... well... augh.
I've wondered before if I'm defective or something, but I am not attracted to Matt Bomer at all. I understand the appeal. I mean, he's clearly an extremely good looking guy, but he just does nothing for me. Benedict Cumerbatch, though? I swoon and swoon some more. I'll watch things I have no real interest in, just to stare at him.

Imagine Jim's writing in those two people's hands.
I am, and my imaginings are all made of win and awesome!
You know, the more I think of it, the more I think the BBC might be a good way to go with a Dresden show. They seem to care more about source material and less about making as much as they can, as fast as they can, and then only giving a show two weeks to prove whether it can be a hit or not.

Offline Fuego de Alma

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: March 08, 2012, 08:23:14 AM »
So how can we get the BBC to pick up a show set in America? Might be tricky for them to shoot in Chicago...  :-\

I've wondered before if I'm defective or something, but I am not attracted to Matt Bomer at all. I understand the appeal. I mean, he's clearly an extremely good looking guy, but he just does nothing for me.
Maybe you have really good gay-dar.

Benedict Cumerbatch, though? I swoon and swoon some more.
Me too, sister, me too.

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #4880 on: March 08, 2012, 10:00:09 AM »
So how can we get the BBC to pick up a show set in America? Might be tricky for them to shoot in Chicago...  :-\

Me too, sister, me too.

It's pretty much White Collar's fault for me.

And... hm. That is a good question.
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: March 08, 2012, 10:12:31 AM »
I think I want Moffat and Gatiss to try doing Dresden Files on BBC now. >>

I just lost the ability to breathe.
I think I totally geeked out.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: March 08, 2012, 02:01:45 PM »
Matt Bomer is Thomas for me, no argument  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: March 08, 2012, 02:13:56 PM »
Matt Bomer is Thomas for me, no argument  :)

I can see that.  ;D

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: March 08, 2012, 05:51:45 PM »
BBC Dresden Files for the win! (They can shoot in America if they want to, they've done it for Doctor Who.)

Heh, maybe, but probably not. There are other famously good looking actors who haven't really turned my crank but also haven't come out... though now that makes me wonder a little bit. Hm. Either way, he does nothing for me, so he'll never be on my mind for Thomas.

I have become convinced that Cumerbatch would be ideal for Thomas, if only because his skin almost glows in the right light and his very voice melts my bones. He also has an amazing acting range, which would be important. Jim has said he thinks "Spike is the epitome of the pretty boy vampire and ... I wrote [Thomas] like Spike" and I would of course still be fine with James Marsters as Thomas... or maybe Aiden Turner, who I think of as another quintessential gorgeous vampire... But I think I would be disappointed by anyone else.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 05:55:08 PM by NeuroHeart »

Offline Homer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4885 on: March 08, 2012, 06:13:02 PM »
I think the TV show had the perfect Morgan. They just cast him as somebody else. Been way too long since I watched the show to remember the details, but I think he was a warden type character too, or one of Ancient Mei's guards. Something like that.
Slinky + Escalator = Endless Fun

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #4886 on: March 08, 2012, 09:09:59 PM »
BBC Dresden Files for the win! (They can shoot in America if they want to, they've done it for Doctor Who.)
Heh, maybe, but probably not. There are other famously good looking actors who haven't really turned my crank but also haven't come out... though now that makes me wonder a little bit. Hm. Either way, he does nothing for me, so he'll never be on my mind for Thomas.

I have become convinced that Cumerbatch would be ideal for Thomas, if only because his skin almost glows in the right light and his very voice melts my bones. He also has an amazing acting range, which would be important. Jim has said he thinks "Spike is the epitome of the pretty boy vampire and ... I wrote [Thomas] like Spike" and I would of course still be fine with James Marsters as Thomas... or maybe Aiden Turner, who I think of as another quintessential gorgeous vampire... But I think I would be disappointed by anyone else.

Stop Trying to convince me. It's working.

I wrote a crossover-ish fic of sherlock and john being awesome vanilla mortals.

Ben *would* make for a really good incubus vampire. Can Lara Pulver, Irene Adler, pull off Lara Raith?

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: March 08, 2012, 09:22:31 PM »
Zachary Levi
Height:  6' 3.25"
Build:  Lanky

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: March 08, 2012, 09:24:12 PM »
Can Lara Pulver, Irene Adler, pull off Lara Raith?
She probably could, yes. She was brilliant as "The Woman." (Jaime Murray is also English, and I'd like to see her as Lara (she's got the black hair for it) or one of the Fae)

...Maybe we should have a thread for "BBC does Dresden Files" or something.
You know, maybe we should.

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #4889 on: March 08, 2012, 09:41:56 PM »
Zachary Levi
Height:  6' 3.25"
Build:  Lanky

If not David Tennant, I vote Zach. I LOVE Zach, and he can do snark.