Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1127164 times)

Offline dresdenite

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #4665 on: January 23, 2012, 06:04:31 AM »
...and I KNOW i'm gonna catch hell for this, but whenever I read Michael, for some reason, my caffiene-addled brain hears Nic Cage. The creepy part is that it sounds right. What's wrong with me?

And before you say it, "My first guess would be, a lot." is not the correct answer.

Offline dresdenite

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: January 23, 2012, 06:38:44 AM »
For all the people fighting over Tom Cruise in the Dresden Files, I have the perfect solution. Cast Mr. Cruise as Rasmussen, the poor soul ensnared by the Fallen Angel Ursiel, killed off in the opening chapters of Death Masks. This way, Tom Cruise is in the movie, all the Cruise fanatics get to see their idol, and the rest of us who AREN'T clinically insane get to see Tom Cruise die!

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: January 23, 2012, 07:35:23 AM »
Alright, we're back!

I'm still a big fan of Milla Jovovich as Lara, but I considered Jaime Murray a few days ago, and I think she could fit the role rather nicely...

I haven't seen very much of her work, but whenever she's on a screen I can't help but watch her.
This message brought to you by a cloud of neurotransmitters.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: January 25, 2012, 04:20:31 AM »
I think shes a rather more passive actor from what ive seen, not a bad likeness though
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: January 25, 2012, 09:43:02 PM »
...and I KNOW i'm gonna catch hell for this, but whenever I read Michael, for some reason, my caffiene-addled brain hears Nic Cage. The creepy part is that it sounds right. What's wrong with me?

And before you say it, "My first guess would be, a lot." is not the correct answer.

Sorry Dresdenite, no, no, and no.  Nic Cage is NOT NOW NOR WILL EVER BE Michael.
And, maybe you should cut back on your caffeine. ???

Offline TheRedPoet

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: January 27, 2012, 04:03:46 PM »
My issue with most suggestions is that they're too old.
At the beginning of the series, Harry's what? 20 something?
I can't think of many actors that'd fit for whichever roles, but there is one I'm damn sure of.

Murphy - Sarah Michelle Gellar. For sure. Fantastic actress who for damn sure knows both how to pull of bad-ass and emotionally vulnerable.

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: January 27, 2012, 06:26:50 PM »
I think shes a rather more passive actor from what ive seen
Not sure what you mean by passive. Have you seen Dexter?

My issue with most suggestions is that they're too old.
At the beginning of the series, Harry's what? 20 something?
This has been discussed before. He may be 20 something, but certainly not early twenties. At youngest, he's 25, because in the most recent books he's 40 or nearly 40.

Have to disagree with SMG as Murphy. Renee O'Connor.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:28:26 PM by NeuroHeart »
This message brought to you by a cloud of neurotransmitters.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: January 27, 2012, 06:32:50 PM »
I'm with Neuroheart - I like Renee O'Connor better than SMG.

Offline gothicmoon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Gothicmoon
« Reply #4673 on: January 27, 2012, 10:19:34 PM »
I'm a great fan of the Mentalist and since I started watching it, I've begun imagining Robin Tunney, who plays agent Lisbon, as Murphy.
Infinity and Beyond
www.gothicmoon.co.uk

Offline hivemind66

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: January 28, 2012, 12:48:25 AM »
I'm probably going to get flak for this, but I honestly can say that I hope they NEVER make Dresden into a movie because I'm pretty certain no matter how much money and effort they throw at it, it will fail to meet my expectations.  HBO TV series would be cool, but again, I think it would flop just like the original because Hollywood has a way to ruin just about everything it touches, sometimes out of necessity (Time/Money/Etc.). 

Dresden has such a large volume of story that it doesn't seem plausable to portray it in a cinematic movie series.  Harry potter was only 7 books and it took 8 movies to do, and not everyone feels they did the books justice (Although I loved both :P).  25+ books in movie or even TV show format seems like a logistical nightmare and it would feel crammed, rushed and lets face it, most people's attention span is about that of a gnat these days.  I don't think it would work.

Am I the only one that feels this way?  Post was TLDR

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4675 on: January 28, 2012, 01:25:53 AM »
Am I the only one that feels this way?  Post was TLDR

My opinion on it was that if it was done on a pay channel (HBO, Showtime, or Starz), and they did it in mini-series fashion, then it could work.  For the early books, have 4 1-hour episodes in 4 consecutive weeks, and then for later books, 4 2-hour episodes in 4 consecutive weeks.  I'd also air them during the month in which they took place, so that they maintained a certain seasonal setting for the viewers.  So SF would be in April, FM the same year in October, GP a year later in October, and so on.  It would still take ages to complete, but viewer attention spans would only be required for a month at a time, for 2 months a year at most.

In other news, in tribute to the series finale of Chuck, I contribute the following casting:

Zachary Levi = Harry Dresden
Yvonne Strahovski = Karrin Murphy
Matt Bomer = Thomas Raith
Adam Baldwin = Donald Morgan
Bonita Friedericy = Original Anastasia Luccio
Joshua Gomez = Waldo Butters
Scott Krinsky = Ron Carmichael
Mark Christopher Lawrence = Henry Rawlins
Ryan McPartlin = Hendricks
Sarah Lancaster = Monica Sells

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: January 28, 2012, 07:35:22 PM »
For all the people fighting over Tom Cruise in the Dresden Files, I have the perfect solution. Cast Mr. Cruise as Rasmussen, the poor soul ensnared by the Fallen Angel Ursiel, killed off in the opening chapters of Death Masks. This way, Tom Cruise is in the movie, all the Cruise fanatics get to see their idol, and the rest of us who AREN'T clinically insane get to see Tom Cruise die!
Hey i refuse to be called a fanatic, im an enthusiast...of making SL bash her head against the wall
Sir  Reginald.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: January 28, 2012, 09:18:37 PM »
Hey i refuse to be called a fanatic, im an enthusiast...of making SL bash her head against the wall

No, you're more likely to make me bash YOUR head against the wall.  Grins Very Evilly.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: January 31, 2012, 05:25:31 AM »
I is............scared :'(
Sir  Reginald.

Offline mdodd

• Seriously?
  • OH, IT'S HIM. @paceace1094
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: January 31, 2012, 02:57:42 PM »
Tom Cruise could be Toot toot. Wouldn't even need the special effects to shrink him.

BTW how's tricks GW? Not spoken to you since The Darkness ended. Did you send a PM to me? It disappeared into the ether when the world was plunged into darkness.
One year's forum service, nearly two
--------------------------------------------------------
“And the people next door oppress me all night long. I tell them, I work all day, a man's got to have some time to learn to play the tuba. ― Terry Pratchett.