Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1126836 times)

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #4215 on: August 17, 2011, 07:33:48 AM »
(Has anyone else noticed that we are stacking the deck a bit with Firefly actors?   Speaking of which, Morena Baccarin would do well as Lara.
Well, that's what happens when a show is chalk-full of good actors.
Speaking of, I totally used a picture of Mal to get my vision of Harry somewhat realized. Result, for any interested:

Morena is too olive-skinned to be Lara, though aside from that I could see her carrying the part. Ron Glass would be perfect as Rawlins; I'm sure I meant to put that in my initial list posting.
I don't recall where it said that Marcone looks like a football coach. It's immaterial to me when envisioning Sean, though; it's more about his glare and his sense of containment. He also looks pretty good in a suit. I did acknowledge that my choice was atypical.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:47:16 AM by NeuroHeart »
This message brought to you by a cloud of neurotransmitters.

Offline SometimesKate

• Conversationalist
  • Character is what you are in the dark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: August 17, 2011, 07:42:56 AM »
I wasn't poo-pooh'ing it just on reflex, I did think about it, because his face works.  I can see his face being that of Marcone, and he'd be an excellent young Marcone, all he'd need would be a set of contact lenses.   
My colour is Blue

My Dresden Files purity rating is 57.7%  (just wait till I get my hands on the rpg books, and can remember a 10th Denarian)

DV SometimesKate v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK+++ RP JB- TH+ WG++ BC+ MC---- SH [Molly+, Lara+, Murphy++] FF----- MS+

Offline hank the ancient

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: August 18, 2011, 12:38:44 AM »
So this occurred to me, what about Milla Jovovich as Lara?

Hell the frack YES! I'll be in my bunk!

Offline Ziggelly

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: August 18, 2011, 03:01:48 AM »
^Holycrap. That's the exact picture in my head of Lara. Even the eyes. Hell, especially the eyes...

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: August 18, 2011, 06:23:09 AM »
^Holycrap. That's the exact picture in my head of Lara. Even the eyes. Hell, especially the eyes...
That's exactly what I thought when I saw it! Glad I'm not the only one.

I can see his face being that of Marcone, and he'd be an excellent young Marcone, all he'd need would be a set of contact lenses.
He would barely need those. His eyes are an incredibly light shade of blue, and I can definitely see a bit of green in them. That 'old dollar bill' color? They're very close, depending on the light.

So this is how I see Marcone (more or less)

*edit* And I think I've decided that Jeff Bridges should be Ebenezer.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 07:00:38 AM by NeuroHeart »

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: August 18, 2011, 08:12:09 AM »
Sorry I think too young for Marcone.
Chris Meloni's name has been raised for Marcone.  (Law and Order - SVU)

Offline SometimesKate

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: August 18, 2011, 08:21:09 AM »

*edit* And I think I've decided that Jeff Bridges should be Ebenezer.

I think he's too tall, but his brother Beau might work.  I know he's old and hairy now, but I have trouble shaking my mental image of Jeff Bridges as being young and cute.
My colour is Blue

My Dresden Files purity rating is 57.7%  (just wait till I get my hands on the rpg books, and can remember a 10th Denarian)

DV SometimesKate v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK+++ RP JB- TH+ WG++ BC+ MC---- SH [Molly+, Lara+, Murphy++] FF----- MS+

Offline wolverine83

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: August 18, 2011, 08:46:33 AM »
I've always pictured Megan Fox as Lara Raith.

Helena Bonham Carter as Mab.

Offline SometimesKate

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: August 18, 2011, 08:51:04 AM »
Except that Megan Fox couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag.  Helena Bonham Carter is a talented actress, but frankly, I don't like her as a person.  However, she does creepy very well.  A younger Miranda Richardson would have been a good Mab.

Has anyone suggested Eva Mendes for Susan?
My colour is Blue

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: August 18, 2011, 08:55:41 AM »
I agree Megan Fox can't act.
As for Helena Bonham Carter - no, I see her more as Mother Winter - would fit her creepy performances.
Mab has to be both beautiful and an Ice Queen literally.  (And no not Tilda Swinson - she's too androgynous.)

Offline SometimesKate

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: August 18, 2011, 09:41:59 AM »
Tilda Swinton is an very talented actor, so she can play sexy as well as androgynous if she wishes, I'm sure.  Granted, they'd have to pad her chest, but it's not like that doesn't happen all the time.  Hollywood wants us to believe that it's possible to look like an 8 year old boy with a generous cleavage, but without silicone, it's really not. 

Emma Thompson for Luccio in her original body?  And that girl from the old Pepsi commercials with the fantastic dimples and curly dark hair for co-ed Luccio?
My colour is Blue

Offline wolverine83

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: August 18, 2011, 12:30:09 PM »
A younger Miranda Richardson would have been a good Mab.

Didn't she play Mab in an adaptation of Merlin?

Offline bellmaker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: August 18, 2011, 03:25:12 PM »
G.K. Simmons for the MErlin, he is the bald actor on the Farmers INS ads he also played a shrink in SVU and a NEo Nazi leader in Oz.

Offline hank the ancient

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: August 18, 2011, 04:26:14 PM »

gotta say alexa davalos for coed luccio.

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: August 18, 2011, 05:08:59 PM »
Here is my mental image of Lea:

Sorry I think too young for Marcone.
Yeah, we've been having this conversation. How old is Marcone, exactly? Because if he was a young tough when the little girl got shot, and she was an adolescent in Death Masks, then he's not that old.
(gee, I feel like I'm repeating myself a page later or something.)

He's described as having crow's feet (hence my giving the guy some crow's feet, which might be more visible full-size, which the forum won't display) and salt-and-pepper hair (hence the smattering of gray hairs) which I take to mean "premature gray" more than "getting old."
Also, this is how he looks in the comic book:

Doesn't look that old to me.

Tilda Swinton is an very talented actor, so she can play sexy as well as androgynous if she wishes, I'm sure.  Granted, they'd have to pad her chest, but it's not like that doesn't happen all the time.  Hollywood wants us to believe that it's possible to look like an 8 year old boy with a generous cleavage, but without silicone, it's really not.
It's possible to be thin (maybe not eight-year-old thin, but thin) and have generous cleavage, it's just rare. I've heard that about 1% of ectomorph women are naturally well-endowed. Example would be Kat Dennings (my pick for Justine) who is slender, but definitely has generous cleavage. (I am 99% certain they're real.)
There's no denying Tilda Swinton's talent, but she's just not all that pretty. It's not just her body that's somewhat androgynous, it's her face. I wouldn't cast her as Mab. Not saying I wouldn't cast her at all, just not as an unearthly beautiful fae.

I have trouble shaking my mental image of Jeff Bridges as being young and cute.
Well, I suggest watching the new True Grit; that'll shake it pretty fast.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:17:47 PM by NeuroHeart »