Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1126895 times)

Offline bellmaker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #3795 on: May 10, 2011, 07:34:54 PM »
For year that Dune was made the effects were not bad.  they also put good if not well know actors in smaller roles i.e. The Duke and Reverend Mother besides as long as sting is not in it the movie will do well.

Offline Kilroy

• Conversationalist
  • My faith protects me. My Kevlar helps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: May 10, 2011, 11:39:56 PM »
Not gonna happen if the movie goes because anybody doing major funding will want performers with a proven
track record.  Sorry. 
Umm, unknown for Harry - most likely not gonna happen.  The movie will rest on his shoulders and unknown status
will make investors nervous - also probably make insurance harder to get.
Witness DUNE.  Though he can act now - Kyle McGlaughlin was not experienced enough at that time to really
do justice to Paul's character.  Movie suffered because of it.  Special effects were cheesey too.   

Hollywood has been using unknowns in a few great movies these last few years. The old blood are doing that, getting old. If this movie were to get made I think having unknowns in it will boost it. Thats why you get known people in support rolls, thats how you make people famous.
"You're in America now," I said. "Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer." ~ Harry Dresden

"Maybe I'd been shut away in my lab too long, but Spenser never mentions that the Faerie Queen has a great ass." ~ Harry Dresden

Offline Mr. Ghostbuster

• Conversationalist
  • Jimbassador to the United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: May 10, 2011, 11:44:09 PM »
Not gonna happen if the movie goes because anybody doing major funding will want performers with a proven
track record.  Sorry. 
Umm, unknown for Harry - most likely not gonna happen.  The movie will rest on his shoulders and unknown status
will make investors nervous - also probably make insurance harder to get.  

Not necessarily true. Often times studios and filmmakers will prefer working with a talented unknown because....
1. They can pay them less.
2. They are often easier to work with and easier to schedule.
3. Less established actors are less likely to turn down a role.
4. It's the casting director's (and to a somewhat lesser extent, the director's) job to convince any producers or executives that the person they want is right for the role.
DV Warden of Iowa City 1.0 YR4 FR(M)1 BK+++ RP JB++ TH+ WG++ CL+ SW BC+ MC---- FF+ SH++[Murphy+++ Lara+ Gard+ Molly-]

Hi. I'm the future director of The Dresden Files movie. Wink.

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: May 11, 2011, 12:00:18 AM »
I agree that I would love to see Bruce in a more substantial role.  However, after seeing Army of Darkness and Burn Notice, I have a hard time seeing Bruce as the pious type.

And you could always open with flashbacks, and space them throughout.  Like...everytime Harry gets knocked out or falls asleep.

Offline Kilroy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: May 11, 2011, 12:07:02 AM »
I agree that I would love to see Bruce in a more substantial role.  However, after seeing Army of Darkness and Burn Notice, I have a hard time seeing Bruce as the pious type.

And you could always open with flashbacks, and space them throughout.  Like...everytime Harry gets knocked out or falls asleep.

problem with most books to movies... they cut important things and add stuff not in the books, lets not add flashbacks that never happened.
"You're in America now," I said. "Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer." ~ Harry Dresden

"Maybe I'd been shut away in my lab too long, but Spenser never mentions that the Faerie Queen has a great ass." ~ Harry Dresden

Offline Cipher

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: May 11, 2011, 01:37:16 AM »
What about Emily Rose as Murphy?  She currently plays Audrey Parker on Haven.

Inspiration can be found in an accident of fate or fate by accident, what you do with it is up to you.

Offline hank the ancient

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: May 11, 2011, 02:14:22 AM »
Speaking of Burn Notice I think we have to find a roll for Bruce Campbell. Father Forthill? Last mention of him was Anthony Stewart Head or Mark Sheppard. Now Anthony... if you have seen 'Repo! The Genetic Opera' how could you not see him as Nic? Oooo just had an idea for Sheppard, Binder.. ooo he would be perfect for that snarky roll. *basing this on attitude, dont have my book to double check his appearance.*

Bruce Campbell shoul be the voice of Bob if anything. Seriously, just open one of the books to some of bob's dialog and insert campbell's voice in your head. It works.

Offline Kilroy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: May 11, 2011, 04:05:04 AM »
Bruce Campbell shoul be the voice of Bob if anything. Seriously, just open one of the books to some of bob's dialog and insert campbell's voice in your head. It works.

Have you ever listened to the audiobooks? James Marsters HAS to be bob. Plus with him as Bob it leaves plenty of room to give him cameos.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: May 11, 2011, 11:00:32 AM »

Have you ever listened to the audiobooks? James Marsters HAS to be bob. Plus with him as Bob it leaves plenty of room to give him cameos.

BZZT! Ooh, I'm sorry, you both had the wrong answer. But thank you for playing, and we have some lovely parting gifts for you!

Bob's voice = Jim. This is a Truth.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Annie Wilkes

• Conversationalist
  • ooh shiny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: May 11, 2011, 02:39:34 PM »
I'm gonna suggest a "don juan de marco" or "Cry Baby" era Johnny Depp for thomas.
I have CDO it's like OCD except it's alphabetical. The way it should be.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: May 11, 2011, 04:04:40 PM »
Well, I always figured Wilford Brimley for Eb McCoy, but after I saw the ESPN commercial, "The Cowboy", I've now got a new favorite for McCoy.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: May 11, 2011, 08:36:44 PM »
I'm gonna suggest a "don juan de marco" or "Cry Baby" era Johnny Depp for thomas.

Take it back ill not let him ruin another movie
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Kilroy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: May 11, 2011, 10:13:21 PM »
BZZT! Ooh, I'm sorry, you both had the wrong answer. But thank you for playing, and we have some lovely parting gifts for you!

Bob's voice = Jim. This is a Truth.

If Jim wants to be bob sure I have not problem with it, but the voice of Bob will always be James Marsters for most of the audiobook listeners as well as myself.

Offline KerrSG1

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: May 12, 2011, 02:47:19 AM »
Paul Blackthorne!

Offline Kilroy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: May 12, 2011, 03:15:38 AM »
He might have been a GREAT Dresden, but really after the Syfy channel fail I just have trouble seeing him as it. I just have nightmares of Dresden running around with a drumstick trying to get in a rock band that does not use electronic equipment or Playing hockey and melting the ring while yelling "ITS NOT MY FAULT"