Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1127235 times)

Offline [ISI]William_9292

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #3510 on: April 03, 2011, 03:53:39 PM »
I love Nathan Fillion but sorry guys he just too old to be Harry, back when he played Mel in firefly he would have been perfect!
He hasn't aged THAT much...

Offline thetomb

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: April 04, 2011, 01:40:19 AM »
i keep sayin it (or do i ?) Ryan Reynolds for the voice of bob. i would piss myself with laughter if half the stuff bob said came out of his mouth. hes just got the sarcasm.

OMG Yes SO MUCH!!!

Or Tim Curry

But why Nathan Fillion for Harry?  I don't see it.  And I'm a huge Fan.

Offline Contrarius

• Conversationalist
  • Dingdong, Soul Eater Home Delivery, may I come in?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: April 04, 2011, 01:41:52 AM »
TIM CURRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for Nathan Fillion, he's only 40 this year -- so definitely in the range of at least the later books so far. I think he could do well in the part, but his face really isn't hard enough IMHO. I really still want a youngish Viggo Mortensen.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 01:45:00 AM by Contrarius »
I turned back to my table, leaned forward, and banged my head gently on the wooden surface. Several times.
------
When I want an opinion from you, I'll read it in your entrails.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: April 04, 2011, 07:56:40 AM »
I think young or old Viggo has too much gravitas for Harry.
Not a bad thing just not a Harry Dresden thing.

Offline Contrarius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: April 04, 2011, 07:59:03 AM »
I think young or old Viggo has too much gravitas for Harry.
Not a bad thing just not a Harry Dresden thing.

He can do smartass, though. And he's sooooooo good at the world-weary thing.
I turned back to my table, leaned forward, and banged my head gently on the wooden surface. Several times.
------

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: April 04, 2011, 08:03:22 AM »
Yeah, but not at Harry's level of smart assery.  (I know NOT a real word)
Viggo can make a smart ass comment but doesn't usually do the sometimes running
litany that Harry does.  A young Viggo would be a good Tilly.

Offline Contrarius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: April 04, 2011, 08:38:10 AM »
Ehhh, he just hasn't been given the chance. He's great at anger and suppressed suffering, he's lean, he's got the chin.....

How about if Viggo and Bruce Campbell had a love child? ;)
------

Offline Tempus Corvus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: April 04, 2011, 12:43:59 PM »
He'd be so manly that he'd sweat Old Spice.
My Dresden Files Purity Rating is 40%. It'd be higher if I could find the time to actually play the DFRPG.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: April 04, 2011, 04:27:32 PM »
He'd be so manly that he'd sweat Old Spice.

ROTFLMAO!

Offline MissMilkMaid

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: April 04, 2011, 08:22:50 PM »
Harry
From the pole list the only one I like is Hugh Jackman. One of my all time favorite actors. However, he's a little too buff and good-looking for our beanpole wizard hero. Also, Jackman would be be a little old for Storm Front. A Young Jackman, maybe, he's still too pretty though.

Off list I always imagined Dresden to look something like David Tennant, only taller and with darker hair. However, Tennant's voice isn't right and even though Tennent is a very talented actor with all the right attitude, he can't pull off a very good American accent, or at least so I've heard.

In the end I think Alexis Denisof would be best. He looks the right amount of skinny and scruffy and if WoJ is that Jim likes him as Harry, then Denisof sounds like a good choice to me.

------

I do not like Fillion as Dresden. He's way too old, is face doesn't have the sharpness of Harry's face, he's too charming/cute. And personally I don't think he can pull off dramatic acting very well. With comedy he's great. He could do the jokes, but I can't see him pulling off the sacrifice and angst Harry goes through. Besides his eyes aren't even the right color.

I also don't like Padalecki. He's too pretty and broad-shouldered. His face has a soft, almost boyish quality, even when he's trying to go scruffy and that's just not the way Dresden is described at all. I can maybe see Padalecki as Thomas, but not Harry.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:33:25 PM by MissMilkMaid »
DV: MissMilk v:1.2 YR1 FR0.1 BK++ RP- JB- TH++ WG+++ CL+(+++) SW+(-) BC(++) MC---(+) SH[Murphy+++ Lara+(--)  Elaine- Molly-- Laciel-- Mab/Mauve---]

Offline Contrarius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: April 04, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
Padalecki can't act his way out of a wet paper bag. Fillion CAN do angst and drama -- he's great in Firefly -- but his face isn't hard enough. Denisof would be pretty good, but he's too old now. Jackman would be great, but for the problems you stated. Tennant is a wimp.

Here's a relative unknown whom I suggested earlier -- Joe Manganiello -- and I think he's 6'5" -- http://www.imdb.com/media/rm738427392/nm0542133

------

Offline MissMilkMaid

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: April 04, 2011, 09:06:56 PM »
I liked Firefly, and Fillion did an okay at least with the action and the jokes. I think the show could have done better, if they'd gotten a stronger, more serious actor to play Mal. I found the serious/deeper sides of the character hard to buy. In general get a "buffoon" impression from Fillion, weather he's playing Mal, Castle or Captain Hammer.      

I take some slight offense at you calling Tennant wimpy. It takes serious acting to do Hamlet and in my opinion he's by far the best Docor Who. Does a great job at being a likable, funny and sacrificial hero, who can take on the universe if necessary. Anyway, what's the point of calling an actor a wimp? The point of acting is to take on whatever characteristics the role demands.

Are you suggesting Mangeniello for Dresden? He looks more like Michael to me. The build is way to buff and broad shouldered for Harry. Hight is less important than build. Camera angel can make an actor look taller, but they can't make them look skinnier.  
DV: MissMilk v:1.2 YR1 FR0.1 BK++ RP- JB- TH++ WG+++ CL+(+++) SW+(-) BC(++) MC---(+) SH[Murphy+++ Lara+(--)  Elaine- Molly-- Laciel-- Mab/Mauve---]

Offline Contrarius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: April 04, 2011, 09:34:40 PM »
I take some slight offense at you calling Tennant wimpy.

Hey -- if you get to call Fillion a buffoon, I get to call Tennant wimpy. ;)

Are you suggesting Mangeniello for Dresden? He looks more like Michael to me. The build is way to buff and broad shouldered for Harry. Hight is less important than build. Camera angel can make an actor look taller, but they can't make them look skinnier.   

I agree with you that he's buffer than JB's description -- but nobody is gonna be perfect. And I've already pretty much settled on my ideal for Thomas, thanks to the folks here -- Matt Bomer.

http://www.google.com/images?q=Matt+Bomer&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=QTmaTbz1Bc69tgeIuID4Cw&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=960&bih=513
------

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3523 on: April 04, 2011, 09:45:25 PM »
I just had a thought for Butters:

Donal Logue.  In G4L at least he had that silly vibe that Butters gives off.
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline MissMilkMaid

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: April 04, 2011, 09:49:45 PM »
He looks way to big to be Butters to me.