Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1127117 times)

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
  • Loneliness or solitude?
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #3030 on: January 30, 2011, 03:08:28 AM »
Realistically, I suspect Tom Cruise would demand more control over the project than Jim would be willing to give him.
Everyone on this earth wants to feel like they matter.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: January 30, 2011, 03:16:05 AM »
Realistically, I suspect Tom Cruise would demand more control over the project than Jim would be willing to give him.
also Harry is not a midget

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: January 30, 2011, 03:27:05 AM »

Hey, Paramount dropped Cruise as one of their major stars.  Studios DO NOT do that unless the actor is somehow being a real pain in the tuchis.  And while MI3 or whatever number it was didn't do as well as expected - it wasn't so bad that the studio would respond that way.  Something else was going on behind the scenes.  Cruise would mutate the heck out of a DF script - to a point where you'd hardly recognize it as JB's work.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: January 30, 2011, 03:45:40 AM »
Hey, Paramount dropped Cruise as one of their major stars.  Studios DO NOT do that unless the actor is somehow being a real pain in the tuchis.  And while MI3 or whatever number it was didn't do as well as expected - it wasn't so bad that the studio would respond that way.  Something else was going on behind the scenes.  Cruise would mutate the heck out of a DF script - to a point where you'd hardly recognize it as JB's work.

Very good points, Snowleopard - amen to that! Even if he were a good actor and looked right for the part he still wouldn't work.
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: January 30, 2011, 03:47:23 AM »
NO TOM CRUISE FOR ANYTHING IN A DF MOVIE!!
End of rant.  Man can't act and would destroy the movie trying to make it fit him.

ahem

fine. I know the perfect role for him. Kirby in TC.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: January 30, 2011, 04:11:08 AM »
Hey IC, TC wouldn't take on so minor a role without, again, mutating the heck out of it.

Offline sjsharks

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: January 30, 2011, 05:04:55 AM »
Hey IC, TC wouldn't take on so minor a role without, again, mutating the heck out of it.

You mean he would make it a more violent death :o ;D
And Chocolate is associated with love and love killed the Dinosaurs, you are a genius Sjsharks

TWCB-Dinosaurs

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: January 30, 2011, 05:07:14 AM »
You mean he would make it a more violent death :o ;D

No, he probably would have the character somehow take out the Shag and survive horrible wounds that no WW could while HD dithered in the background wringing his hands.  That kind of mutation.

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: January 30, 2011, 05:13:42 AM »
also Harry is not a midget
See my previous post about camera tricks and special effects. If they can make Elijah Wood et al look like hobbits, they can make Tom Cruise look like not a hobbit. ;)

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: January 30, 2011, 05:17:05 AM »
See my previous post about camera tricks and special effects. If they can make Elijah Wood et al look like hobbits, they can make Tom Cruise look like not a hobbit. ;)

See my post about TC ruining a HD movie by making it all about TC not about HD.
Don't care about his height - care that he can't act and doesn't make good story choices and wants authors to modify their work for him even if it destroys the story.  He did that with one writer fortunately who didn't sell out and his script was picked up by an actor who did it justice.  True story.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: January 30, 2011, 05:18:39 AM »
Don't care about his height - care that he can't act and doesn't make good story choices and wants authors to modify their work for him even if it destroys the story.  He did that with one writer fortunately who didn't sell out and his script was picked up by an actor who did it justice.  True story.

I'm intrigued - which movie was that and who ended up playing the role?

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: January 30, 2011, 05:24:55 AM »
I'm intrigued - which movie was that and who ended up playing the role?

I think it was the movie(not sure of title) = In the Line of Fire - about the SS guy who was at Kennedy's assasination and wasn't able to protect the president.  Come forward to present day where an assassin is threatening the current president and, I didn't see the movie, may have shot Kennedy and the older SS agent is in the middle of it all.
The writer of the script who was in deep financial trouble was approached by Cruise's people about the script.  When the writer pointed out that the hero had to have been alive and an adult at the time of the Kennedy assassination - he was basically told that he could change it and make the hero younger.  Thus completely destroying the whole idea of the script.  The writer passed on Cruises offer though he, as I said, was in deep financial trouble.  Fortunately Clint Eastwood came along and bought the script.

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: January 30, 2011, 06:03:54 AM »
Oh, I'm not advocating for Tom Cruise to have anything to do with anything Dresden.  I'm just making cracks about the fact that he's about five-foot-nothing and has a massive Napoleon complex. ;)

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: January 30, 2011, 06:37:06 AM »
Oh, okay - thanks, Snowleopard. Good for that writer, sticking to his guns like that!

Oh, I'm not advocating for Tom Cruise to have anything to do with anything Dresden.  I'm just making cracks about the fact that he's about five-foot-nothing and has a massive Napoleon complex. ;)

Lol! He does seem to, at that.  ;D

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: January 30, 2011, 06:52:10 AM »
*glad everyone forgot it was he who mentioned TC agian*

yes well how about *sad* heath Ledger for Madrigal Wraith in "Perfect" Casting
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?