Author Topic: Now that the DFRPG has been announced...  (Read 3265 times)

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Now that the DFRPG has been announced...
« on: February 02, 2010, 02:51:43 AM »
OK. This is a little premature. OK a lot more premature.

The Dresden Files RPG comes out in at Origins.

I want to start to get things going underway for an online game soon. At least, get people talking, thinking about it, possibly lining up schedules.

But I don't want to run it. I want to play. So, getting things moving now would be useful. :)

What thought occurred to me is doing it on Google Wave. Given the nature of Fate based games, where you can negotiate extensively before you make a roll. The other avenue would likely be a Maptools/Voice Chat method. Making maps aren't necessary, but Maptools does have dice rollers everyone can plug into.

What do you think? Anyone out there intrigued?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:49:25 AM by Rechan »

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Now that the DFRPG has been announced...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 07:36:44 PM »
I'll be looking at running a game, but I'll probably use Fantasy Grounds
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 07:49:21 PM »
With Voicechat?

I'm also curious what city you'd be using.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 08:48:54 PM by Rechan »

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 09:13:14 PM »
Possibly, though I tend to use the text chat for in-character and actions. OOC and rules clarifications could be voicechat.
I'll possibly use Birmingham. It's near where I live and has enough history behind it. It's also on the main train lines to both Edinburgh and London.
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 09:23:53 PM »
Voicechat would definitely make negotiating rolls ("I tag this aspect' "Well he tags this aspect' "Well I tag this one in return!") with a bit more expediency.

Heh. Given that Edinburgh is the White Council's HQ, would be interesting. I'd have to wonder what kind of entity would dare poke their nose in the White Coucnil's back yard and make a mess.

Offline Ihadris

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 06:11:28 AM »
Wizards about could explain why the trains in england run so poorly! So going to blame the white council next time one is running late.

Offline kytanos

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 04:44:03 AM »
Count me in for the game.

I vote for voicechat too. I dont know why so many people have a stigma against it.

If you want the game to be text only ban voicechat outright. But otherwise I dont see a reason not to give each player the choice of which medium he wants to use. It also speeds combat up IMMENSLY! trust me on this.

Further thought. We are all drezzy fans. I dont see why we cant start a game in the dresden files universe before it comes out, and convert over if we so choose. A system is just a set of mechanics in the end. It's the game, story, and characters that matters.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 04:51:42 AM by kytanos »

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 05:16:36 AM »
Further thought. We are all drezzy fans. I dont see why we cant start a game in the dresden files universe before it comes out, and convert over if we so choose. A system is just a set of mechanics in the end. It's the game, story, and characters that matters.
True, but there are a few things to consider.

1) With the ruleset, it lets a GM know what he's getting into. A GM is fairly important because if you do all that work, the GM backs out, it's unlikely another GM will step in to the old guy's work. So, it's just easier to get the GM on board after he's seen/familiar with the system.

2) I imagine it has good suggestions/guidelines for city creation. City creation is fairly important for this.

3) Sometimes, the rules beget the characters. Looking through the options and going "Ooh, I like this! I wanna play this!" based on what's available. Not to mention the potential that someone wants to play one thing, but then later discovers the rules to make that character aren't to their liking.

Offline kytanos

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 05:32:10 AM »
1. Of course the gm will choose a system he is familiar with. Im just saying, Dont get so focused on the specific dresden files system that you start thinking it's impossible to play it anywhere else. It's a setting, like any other. If anything I think pigeon holing the gm into using This specific system or the highway is a great way to drive him away.

2. Granted, granted. But that can be solved via simple creativity and brain storming. As long as everyone has a mind about them coming up with a dresdenville shouldnt be too hard.

3. that is one philosophy of character design. I myself come up with the character first, then deal with the rules.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:39:17 AM by kytanos »

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 05:38:40 AM »
Oh. Well I genuinely want to use this system. I'm aware you can use some other system, but I want this one. I'm not shelling out the cash for the books only to not use them.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:43:09 AM by Rechan »

Offline kytanos

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 05:39:45 AM »
Oh. Well I genuinely want to use this system. I'm aware you can use some other system, but I want this one.

So do i :-). The kytanos just want's his dresden fix soon. it's 2 more months until changes. :-D

Offline breaker

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 02:09:16 PM »
I know this topic is a little more than a week old, but you can count me in as well. Votes go towards using voice chat for rules and combat, but typing for character interactions and the like. As for using a different ruleset from the getgo and changing once someone get's their hands on the books/pdfs, fine with me as long as we are sure to switch over when the time comes.

I hope people are still up for this.  ;)

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 03:13:34 PM »
Sounds like a blast but I'd have to vote for play by post (even though it's god awful slow) due to scheduling issues.  If nothing else there's always room for both.