Linked Events

• Jim at Dragon*Con: September 03, 2010 - September 06, 2010

Author Topic: Jim at Dragon*Con 2010  (Read 83801 times)

Offline Magnus

• Posty McPostington
  • Secret Vampire of The Chiro Court
    • View Profile
Re: Jim at Dragon*Con 2010
« Reply #285 on: September 24, 2010, 11:37:25 PM »
That sounds great. :)
Full assed FTW! :)

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." -Jorge Luis Borges

Offline Koriandr

• Conversationalist
  • rawr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 26, 2010, 03:24:38 AM »
As promised! :)

I managed to upload the clips from a panel that Jim Butcher was part of on Saturday night at 10:30 PM. Luckily for me, the odd time worked to my advantage because most folks at D*C were partying at that time, and after the panel was over, Jim agreed to sign stuff for those of us that came for him (which was about 20-30 folks, a much smaller group than the hundreds - including myself - that were standing on line earlier Saturday during an official autograph signing that a lot of us were unable to attend because there were too many people. :-[). He was SOOO incredibly nice! Just had us all exit the conference room, and plopped down on the carpet in a corner of the hallway while he signed the stuff we brought, and chatted individually with each of us. Seriously, a sweet guy! :D

Clip One

Clip Two

Clip Three

Clip Four

Clip Five

Clip Six

Unfortunately, the best story Jim told didn't make it on my camera. My battery was running low, so I had to stop towards the end, and as fate would have it, he gave his best story at that time.

In keeping with the theme of the panel, Jim told a story about his son when he was in kindergarten. His son had to explain what he wanted to be when he grew up in class. So Jim asked him if he wanted to be an author like his dad. His son was not too thrilled with the idea, giving his father a noncommittal, "I guess so." Jim then asked if maybe he wanted to be like his mother. His son gave him an exasperated look and said, "Dad. Only GIRLS are engineers." (I seriously love this story soooo much) :D

Anyway, feel free to share the links with friends, if you want. They aren't private, and I don't mind who watches them. :)

I am in the process of re-encoding Jim's solo panel and will be uploading that sometime soon-ish. Still re-encoding it so I can chop it up properly. I'll post here, though, as soon as it's up, because it's nearly an hour of just Jim Butcher talking. :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 03:37:19 AM by Koriandr »
"No one delights more in vengeance than a woman." Juvenal, Satires XII

DV Koriandr v1.0 YR6 FR0.5 BK++ RP JB++ !TH WG++ ?CL  SW BC+++ MC+ SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]FF-

Apprentice - Your Dresden Files purity rating is 48.1%

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 26, 2010, 03:51:57 AM »
Koriandr! These are awesome! Thank you SOOOO MUCH!
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #288 on: September 26, 2010, 04:00:34 AM »
Just finished watching!  They are FABULOUS.  Thank you so much for posting!

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #289 on: September 26, 2010, 04:07:54 AM »
You are more than just a little bit awesome.

I'll work on getting a transcription of Jim's bits for the forum-goers who don't have a fast internet connection.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 04:11:54 AM by Myyrdn Rowlf »

Offline Koriandr

• Conversationalist
  • rawr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 26, 2010, 04:20:42 AM »
You are all very welcome. ^_^

I'm working on the other clip, but it's much bigger (55 minutes long and 3 GB size) and I need to cut it to fit on YouTube, so it might take me a while. But I'll post it up once it's done and let you guys know.  ;D

DV Koriandr v1.0 YR6 FR0.5 BK++ RP JB++ !TH WG++ ?CL  SW BC+++ MC+ SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]FF-

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #291 on: September 26, 2010, 04:21:17 AM »

I'm working on the other clip, but it's much bigger (55 minutes long and 3 GB size) and I need to cut it to fit on YouTube, so it might take me a while. But I'll post it up once it's done and let you guys know.  ;D

HERO.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 26, 2010, 05:02:02 AM »

If you don't want to bother with editing, you could just re-encode to x264 or XviD or something and upload it to a filesharing site like Rapidshare or Hotfile or Mediafire. Heck, if you don't mind uploading a file that big, you could just split the clip with WinRAR and upload the current version. :)  Using a filesharing site would limit the number of potential viewers a bit, but it would probably require less effort on your part.

And much, much thanks to you for sharing these video files, sir or madam. You are a fine example of a human person.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Koriandr

• Conversationalist
  • rawr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 26, 2010, 05:06:40 AM »
If you don't want to bother with editing, you could just re-encode to x264 or XviD or something and upload it to a filesharing site like Rapidshare or Hotfile or Mediafire. Heck, if you don't mind uploading a file that big, you could just split the clip with WinRAR and upload the current version. :)  Using a filesharing site would limit the number of potential viewers a bit, but it would probably require less effort on your part.

And much, much thanks to you for sharing these video files, sir or madam. You are a fine example of a human person.

Oh true enough! I usually use HJSplit to cut a video file into pieces and then upload the pieces to my Megaupload or Mediafire account for downloading. If folks are interested in downloading and keeping their own copy, I could make that available as well. I just figured I'd also put it on YouTube for folks who just want to watch it as a streaming video.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 26, 2010, 05:12:45 AM »
Oh true enough! I usually use HJSplit to cut a video file into pieces and then upload the pieces to my Megaupload or Mediafire account for downloading. If folks are interested in downloading and keeping their own copy, I could make that available as well. I just figured I'd also put it on YouTube for folks who just want to watch it as a streaming video.

I only suggested it in case it would be less work for you, no need to do both. :) And thanks again for all this.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #295 on: September 26, 2010, 05:19:32 AM »
I know I certainly prefer YouTube.  Thanks again!

Offline Magnus

• Posty McPostington
  • Secret Vampire of The Chiro Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 26, 2010, 12:54:17 PM »
Yes, thanks for the clips Koriandr. Looking forward to the video of Jims solo panel as well.
Full assed FTW! :)

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." -Jorge Luis Borges

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #297 on: September 26, 2010, 04:19:09 PM »
Consolidated in the WoJ section.  Clips and Transcriptions.  Thanks, Koriandr!

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,21351.0.html

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 26, 2010, 08:00:06 PM »
"I'm Jim Butcher, author of the Dresden Files, and I suspect I'm here because I write books with chicks who kick ass...that's all I got."
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 27, 2010, 02:50:14 PM »
I know, right??? Distilled pure AWESOME!
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D