Linked Events

• Jim at Dragon*Con: September 03, 2010 - September 06, 2010

Author Topic: Jim at Dragon*Con 2010  (Read 83326 times)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: Jim at Dragon*Con 2010
« Reply #270 on: September 15, 2010, 11:28:52 AM »
It's sort of a heart, on its side.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #271 on: September 15, 2010, 12:38:16 PM »
Uhhhh, what does "much <3 mean," btw?
The guy who does the Ctrl-Alt-Dele comic calls it buttcone.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 15, 2010, 01:22:44 PM »
Now there's an image and a smell I really don't need.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline Technobuilder

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 16, 2010, 01:18:28 AM »
Does Anyone who went to DragonCon this year, have any low down on what transpired at the "NYT Bestseller's Tell All Panel"?

Apparently after the Book Cover panel, I went to lunch and then crashed in the room totally missing it.

I believe the panelist's were:

Kevin J. Anderson
Laurel K. Hamilton
Jim Butcher
Sherrilyn Kenyon
Jonathan Maberry

Anything?

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 16, 2010, 02:09:37 AM »
Does Anyone who went to DragonCon this year, have any low down on what transpired at the "NYT Bestseller's Tell All Panel"?

Apparently after the Book Cover panel, I went to lunch and then crashed in the room totally missing it.

Kevin J. Anderson
Laurel K. Hamilton
Jim Butcher
Sherrilyn Kenyon
Jonathan Maberry

It was a nice panel discussion. I wish I'd taken my Flip Video recorder to get it all, but I forgot. Jim was kind of tired, but all of the writers had interesting stories to tell about getting into the writing biz. They were pretty much all in agreement that they didn't have a clue what they did to wind up on the NYT List, except they had been sticking to writing and submitting things until one day they wound up there, to their complete surprise.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline ThriceISay

• Conversationalist
  • "Finish that sentence, Raith, and we throw down."
    • View Profile
    • Tower of Turtles Productions
« Reply #275 on: September 16, 2010, 02:13:09 AM »

Kevin J. Anderson
Laurel K. Hamilton
Jim Butcher
Sherrilyn Kenyon
Jonathan Maberry

Anything?

It was greatness.  No questions from the audience, all panel interviewer questions.  Things like, how long were you writing before you were published, how long were you published before you made the NYT Bestseller list, how long until you made #1, how did you get your break, tell us an embarrassing story, advice for aspiring writers, etc.  Interestingly, a lot of their answers were very similar.  "Ten years" seemed like a standard, their breaks were lucky, they have HUNDREDS of rejection letters, etc.  And they all pretty much said "Don't Quit" as their advice.  Just keep writing.

Sherrilyn had been injured by then (I'm told she fell and had a brace on her arm that she had not had the afternoon before :-( )  Jonathan Maberry's embarrassing story (I think it was his?) was that he was at con and someone saw his badge, that it was a "Guest" badge and said, "You're a guest, but I don't recognize your name.  You must be an author."  Jim Butcher told the story about when his son walked through a telephone interview he was having with his wife and the interviewer asked their son what it was like to have two published authors for parents, was he amazed by what they'd accomplished, and his son answered, "If these two can do it, how hard can it be?"

Laurell K. Hamilton got a LOT of panel time, which was neat (Jim Butcher kind of hung back a bit, since he'd just finished his hour-long all-to-himself interview and had answered many of the questions already).  She told a lot of stories about submitting her work over and over, about going to conventions, about finally getting accepted and being congratulated in an elevator by another publisher (or agent?) who said, "I wish I'd gotten a shot at publishing you!"  She answered, "You did."  (Apparently this was someone who'd previously rejected her!)
"It doesn't really translate into Martian." - Aftermath

Offline ThriceISay

• Conversationalist
  • "Finish that sentence, Raith, and we throw down."
    • View Profile
    • Tower of Turtles Productions
« Reply #276 on: September 16, 2010, 02:14:22 AM »
It was a nice panel discussion. I wish I'd taken my Flip Video recorder to get it all, but I forgot. Jim was kind of tired, but all of the writers had interesting stories to tell about getting into the writing biz. They were pretty much all in agreement that they didn't have a clue what they did to wind up on the NYT List, except they had been sticking to writing and submitting things until one day they wound up there, to their complete surprise.

Indeed.  Some of them said they just got lucky and were writing urban fiction when no one wanted to read it, then suddenly it got popular and people started buying up their manuscripts.
"It doesn't really translate into Martian." - Aftermath

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 16, 2010, 02:27:25 AM »
Indeed.  Some of them said they just got lucky and were writing urban fiction when no one wanted to read it, then suddenly it got popular and people started buying up their manuscripts.

One of the most useful tidbits for prospective authors was the fact the all publishers SAY they want something fresh and different, but none of them want to actually BUY anything in a genre that hasn't already been proven to sell well, and which can be easily categorized by bookstores. "Urban fantasy with a supernatural element", which most of these writers have been successful with, was a category that took a long time to get established.

Laurel K. Hamilton's embarrasing moments story, about men coming to book signings wanting her to autograph their penises, topped the rest of the embarrasing moments anecdotes, I think.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 16, 2010, 02:44:33 AM »
oh my!

on the <3 thing. My girls would text me that, and in person, we would tell each other "I less than three you!"

It was a cute inside joke.
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 16, 2010, 02:56:27 PM »
Laurel K. Hamilton's embarrasing moments story, about men coming to book signings wanting her to autograph their penises, topped the rest of the embarrasing moments anecdotes, I think.

I loved the suggestion that she should respond, "Sorry, I have a really long name."  ;D
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline Koriandr

• Conversationalist
  • rawr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 24, 2010, 11:17:05 PM »
A little late coming into this thread, but just wanted to say that I was at D*C and Jim was beyond amazing. :) he was everything I thought he'd be and more - so funny and anecdotal, I wish I could have seen EVERY single panel he was in. And SO incredibly personable! There were a bunch of us that came to a panel he was on, Saturday night, 10:30 PM  "Beyond Binaries 101" and he agreed to sign stuff after it was over, and took the time to really /talk/ to each of us. It was wonderful. *.*

Now, I videotaped him in 2 different panels. One was the aforementioned "Beyond Binaries 101" panel, and the other was his solo panel Sunday morning. If anyone is interested, I can put them up on YouTube for folks to watch and enjoy.  ;D
"No one delights more in vengeance than a woman." Juvenal, Satires XII

DV Koriandr v1.0 YR6 FR0.5 BK++ RP JB++ !TH WG++ ?CL  SW BC+++ MC+ SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]FF-

Apprentice - Your Dresden Files purity rating is 48.1%

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #281 on: September 24, 2010, 11:26:09 PM »
A little late coming into this thread, but just wanted to say that I was at D*C and Jim was beyond amazing. :) he was everything I thought he'd be and more - so funny and anecdotal, I wish I could have seen EVERY single panel he was in. And SO incredibly personable! There were a bunch of us that came to a panel he was on, Saturday night, 10:30 PM  "Beyond Binaries 101" and he agreed to sign stuff after it was over, and took the time to really /talk/ to each of us. It was wonderful. *.*

Now, I videotaped him in 2 different panels. One was the aforementioned "Beyond Binaries 101" panel, and the other was his solo panel Sunday morning. If anyone is interested, I can put them up on YouTube for folks to watch and enjoy.  ;D

Yes, please!  We've been scouring the internet for clips, but the only one that's surfaced so far was just over two minutes long.  We'd be delighted if you could post your video on YouTube!

Offline Magnus

• Posty McPostington
  • Secret Vampire of The Chiro Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 24, 2010, 11:26:33 PM »
Yes, I'm interested so why haven't you put them up already ;)

I always enjoy watching Jim videos on youtube.
Full assed FTW! :)

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." -Jorge Luis Borges

Offline Datakim

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 24, 2010, 11:30:22 PM »

Please do! I am very interested atleast, and I figure so are others here.

Offline Koriandr

• Conversationalist
  • rawr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 24, 2010, 11:36:07 PM »
Honestly, the only reason I didn't put them up yet was because I started teaching school the moment I got back from Dragon*con and it's been kinda nonstop since. ^_^;;

I'll have to re-encode the solo panel, since it's about an hour long and had to be chopped into pieces to upload onto YouTube. I'll definitely post links once it's up though. :)
"No one delights more in vengeance than a woman." Juvenal, Satires XII

DV Koriandr v1.0 YR6 FR0.5 BK++ RP JB++ !TH WG++ ?CL  SW BC+++ MC+ SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]FF-

Apprentice - Your Dresden Files purity rating is 48.1%