Linked Events

• Jim at Dragon*Con: September 03, 2010 - September 06, 2010

Author Topic: Jim at Dragon*Con 2010  (Read 83313 times)

Offline Heather H.

• Participant
  • Paranoid? Probably...
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com/heatherjh
Re: Jim at Dragon*Con 2010
« Reply #240 on: September 09, 2010, 06:43:30 PM »
Hey everyone!

This is my first post, woo!

I was at Dragon Con and went mainly for Jim. I haven't read all of the pages of this thread but I have skimmed a few. I was part of the group of people who didn't get the chance to meet him, which I understand is a pretty large group? Haha. I was the third person behind the cut-off in line at his autograph session, then followed down to his supposed second autograph session that got canceled even though it was never really official? I managed to make it to his CSI panel and his interview, and really enjoyed them both. Missed all the others, though.

I hope he's at Dragon Con next year...this was my first time at a convention of this nature and I quickly learned that in order to get a decent spot in line you need to show up three hours early!

Offline Aine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 09, 2010, 07:40:06 PM »
Non refundable deposit, that's nuts.  I have the dates and times the Marriott and Hyatt are taking reservations as an alert in my phone!!!

I know!  But I figure with next year being the 25th anniversary, it's probably gonna be nuts.  Well, more nuts.  LOL.  Better to lose a $188 deposit due to unforseen circumstances than be madly scrambling to find someone's floor to crash on. 

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 10, 2010, 01:43:06 AM »
I was planning on splitting the cost with a friend, but she had a family emergency come up, and wasn't able to go, and I wound up with a double room at the Sheraton all by myself. It didn't work out too bad, though. I got the Dragon*Con ticket early at the $40 price, and used some Skymiles for the room, so the major cash outlay was the $21 per day parking charge. Not counting gas, parking, beer and meals  ran me less than $90 for all three days I was there.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 10, 2010, 11:42:17 AM »
I was at the Westin, I got a deal though hotwire for $69 a night. We had the Browncoat and Steampunk tracks in our hotel, and everything else was only a block away, so I feel Like we got a good con experience from the hotel without having to deal with the headaches of the main 4 hotels.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 10, 2010, 02:47:27 PM »
Ok, I paid WAY too much for my room, obviously!  :'( I did kind of do it last minute though, and there was hardly anything left.

Honestly, I don't think I'll go to DragonCon next year. It was just way too crowded for me, and crowds are not my thing.  I had a nice time, though, so it was worth it...just not going to repeat.
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline ThriceISay

• Conversationalist
  • "Finish that sentence, Raith, and we throw down."
    • View Profile
    • Tower of Turtles Productions
« Reply #245 on: September 10, 2010, 02:53:38 PM »
I was at the Westin, I got a deal though hotwire for $69 a night. We had the Browncoat and Steampunk tracks in our hotel, and everything else was only a block away, so I feel Like we got a good con experience from the hotel without having to deal with the headaches of the main 4 hotels.

We stayed at the Days Inn, which was only two blocks from all the convention hotels.  Not a bad deal.  And no wait for the elevators ;)  I must admit, though, last year was our first Dragon*Con (where my avatar photo was taken), and we stayed at the Marriott, and it was AMAZINGLY fabulous!  Expensive, though!  ::cringe::
"It doesn't really translate into Martian." - Aftermath

Offline llwaynest

• Conversationalist
  • Major General Toot Toot Minimus
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 10, 2010, 09:48:29 PM »
I've stayed at that Days Inn several times in the past, but it has gone waaaay down hill recently. The last time I stayed there, the lamination on the door was peeling up and it stank of mold and crud. So last year we went high end and stayed at the Marriott. This year we tried the Hilton. Those bat rastards wouldn't check us in until after 3:00 pm even though we requested early check in on our reservation. Thinking of the Sheraton or Westin next year. I won't even attempt the Hyatt...I've seen the lines for the elevators and if it gets too crowded on the main lobby, the fire marshall closes it down and won't let anyone enter even if they can prove they have a room there.
"I would rather be drunk than eaten"
Master Ferus

Offline DonC

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 11, 2010, 01:11:59 AM »
I usually stay at the Days Inn, too. It's literally almost $100 a night cheaper. But this year a friend of mine was looking for a fourth room mate at the Hyatt. I also read on Live Journal that the Days Inn is renovating and some of the rooms didn't pass the health inspectors.

My pictures from the con:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20536795@N07/sets/72157624787020029/

Georgia Aquarium on Thursday:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20536795@N07/sets/72157624783016027/

Offline Aine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 11, 2010, 01:36:13 AM »
I stayed at the Renaissance and it wasn't a *bad* hotel, but riding the MARTA (in costume) kinda sucked and just everytime I wanted to change or do something at the last minute it was a PITA.  I got a last minute call to be in a RPG and I really wanted to, but it would have taken me too long to get there.  I figure I want to be close enough to just pop up to my room for whatever reason.

Great pics, DonC!  You must have been at the Superhero gathering.  I'm sad I missed it...I don't remember what night it was, but there were four or five of us Black Widows posing together. That was a blast.  I hope it gets tagged somewhere so I can have one.  :D

Offline traycon3

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 11, 2010, 02:26:45 AM »
Our hotel got sold and didn't bother to tell us...>.> So we got to find out when we got there, and we got to stay with my friend and his friend. Three girls, one guy, two beds...

Not fun...

But other than that and my costume effing up, DragonCon was awesome. I hope Butcher comes back next year. DragonCon did say something about him possibly doing that, but ya never know. D:

-t3
I am not an addict. I can quit anytime I want. *Tosses Dresden Files across the room*

*Runs over and scoops it up* I'M SO SORRY! I DIDN'T MEAN IT! PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!!

Offline Mousekabob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 11, 2010, 05:56:06 AM »
The Hyatt starts October 15th right?

Yup, that's the date I got.  Marriott is October 1st, 8am. 

Offline ThriceISay

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 11, 2010, 01:51:39 PM »
I've stayed at that Days Inn several times in the past, but it has gone waaaay down hill recently. The last time I stayed there, the lamination on the door was peeling up and it stank of mold and crud.

Yeah, there was that.  Our door was chipped and peeling, too, and molded.  And it wouldn't close or open unless you lift and pull (the screws were rotting out of the jamb).  But it was cheap!  In every sense of the word!

Offline ThriceISay

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 11, 2010, 01:52:44 PM »
I hope Butcher comes back next year. DragonCon did say something about him possibly doing that, but ya never know. D:

If he does, they know now to give him MUCH bigger panel rooms! ;)

Offline Chelle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 11, 2010, 10:29:54 PM »
Yes, Jim now shares the same honor as the mythbusters; woefully under appreciated by the con staff until they see the massive lines queuing up for him.

Offline DonC

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 12, 2010, 02:16:08 AM »
Great pics, DonC!  You must have been at the Superhero gathering.  I'm sad I missed it...I don't remember what night it was, but there were four or five of us Black Widows posing together. That was a blast.  I hope it gets tagged somewhere so I can have one.  :D

I think the superhero world record attempt was closed to everyone except the attendees. I did go to more than one photo shoot, though. Off the top of my head, they had shoots for Marvel Comics, DC Comics, Teen Titans, Green Lantern, Spider-Man, "Lethal Ladies of Gotham City," steampunk, Star Wars, Star Wars Expanded Universe (books, comics, TV shows and video games), Doctor Who, GI Joe and four Harry Potter shoots.

I didn't go to all of those, but I did go to a number of them.