Linked Events

• Jim at Dragon*Con: September 03, 2010 - September 06, 2010

Author Topic: Jim at Dragon*Con 2010  (Read 83332 times)

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
Re: Jim at Dragon*Con 2010
« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2010, 04:04:53 PM »
What would you recommend a newbie go see? So many things on the schedule...no idea where to go when! :)

I take it I should hilite the Bards on my schedule...what else?
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline Mousekabob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2010, 08:51:34 PM »
Still haven't had a chance to go over the schedule yet.

Looks like Jim is only doing the one signing.  Get in line early for it (and wave to me at the Charity booth)  The lines can be fun though.  You get to meet some great people.

I like the Bards, but it's a matter of taste.  Want to see Voltaire now too.  Lots of good musical guests.  Dragon Dance every night is good my eldest son loves that.  Look for panels on shows or subjects you are interested in and attend those.  Check with the main track room if you aren't sure and they can advise you further.

We love going to things such as Klingon Karaoke each year.  Also always catch the masquerade.  There are just so many fun things to do.  Leave time for just sitting around and watching the costumes go by as well.  Be prepared for lines for some events (good luck if you want to get into the dub your own Hentai panel, have never know anyone to manage that)

If you are there Thursday night, they are doing the Yellow Ribbon USO party, and Drum Circle.

BLOOD DRive, if you can donate, don't forget the blood drive too.

Ohh, they also always run out of programs, so hold on to yours!!!

Offline llwaynest

• Conversationalist
  • Major General Toot Toot Minimus
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2010, 08:53:19 PM »
What are you interested in? I find the battle bots are fun. Miss Universe (formerly Miss Klingon) beauty pageant is a hoot. Buffy Horror Picture Show & Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog are a must for me. Adam Savage will be on several Skep track panels and his own. He's always entertaining. We will also be attending the I Dream of Jeannie 45th anniversary panel. Masquerade is awesome, but we usually watch it on video at the Marriot Marquis instead of Centennial I-II-III because it's just so damn crowded and if you manage to get into Centennial, you'll probably be in the back of the room watching on the big screen anyway. Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell. The parade, ARTC radio theatre... it goes on and on. Study the pocket program and high light things that look interesting. Give yourself an empty hour for standing in line for most panels being held in Centennial II-III at the Hyatt, the Atrium Ballroom at the Marriott, the Grand Ballroom at the Sheraton, and the Peachtree Ballroom at the Westin.
"I would rather be drunk than eaten"
Master Ferus

Offline DonC

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2010, 01:52:45 AM »
What would you recommend a newbie go see? So many things on the schedule...no idea where to go when! :)

What do you like? There's stuff to do pretty much 24/7 starting Thursday night. The only events I don't recommend are the Dawn Look-A-Like Contest and the burlesque show. They may sound interesting, but unless you're in the first three rows, the Dawn show isn't worth the time. The burlesque show isn't worth the time no matter where you sit.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 02:15:31 AM by DonC »

Offline Dannyboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2010, 02:09:49 PM »

I'll take a stab here...

It depends on your interests, but if you like taking pictures of people in costumes the best place for that has been the Marriott lobby on Sunday night after the masquerade.  For some reason getting in to the masquerade has never been an option for me (always multiple schedule conflicts for the amount of line standing it takes to get in) The masquerade is simulcast on the CCTV systems in all 4 host hotels so you can watch from your room if you want.   

DonC and I do not share the same feelings on the Dawn contest, though I do have to stand on line for at least 2 hours to get in to that one and get a decent seat.  I've done it most years and enjoy the show and variance in the various contestants costumes, everything from professional dancers to ladies who put way too much into their armor.  That said, I may skip it this year though since there is a conflict. 

For the uber-geek the robot battles can be fun, and the various fan run panels are a good place to get out your pet theory on your favorite show.

Enjoy the con
Danny

Offline DonC

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2010, 06:48:22 PM »

DonC and I do not share the same feelings on the Dawn contest, though I do have to stand on line for at least 2 hours to get in to that one and get a decent seat.  I've done it most years and enjoy the show and variance in the various contestants costumes, everything from professional dancers to ladies who put way too much into their armor.  That said, I may skip it this year though since there is a conflict. 

The costumes (and the ladies) are beautiful, but the one time I went I wound up near the back and couldn't see a thing. I'm sure it didn't help that I showed up like 15 after the event started, though. I had an event directly before it.

As for the masquerade, if you do go and are going to want pictures of the contestants, then I recommend sitting near the back. After the contest, they have a photo shoot in the back of the room. They partition the room off and have the contestants walk across a small stage. This fills up very fast, though. And the con will take away your badge is you try to shoot photographs in the Hyatt before midnight. (It's a fire marshal thing.)

Offline Postie

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2010, 10:32:59 PM »
Jim's auto's are up against a Scott Bakula panel (which will be huge given that he has never been to D*C, doesn't do a whole lot of Cons, and is only in ATL on Friday & Saturday.)  Since I have had the pleasure to meet Mr. Bakula before, I will be lining up to meet one of my favorite authors of all-time. 

My hardest decision will be what book I actually want Jim to sign.  :) 

Offline DonC

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2010, 11:42:38 PM »
Yeah, I actually have three different things I'm trying to do at 1pm, Saturday. I'm hoping to get out of Jim's signing as early as possible, then go catch the tail end of the Star Wars costume contest. After that I'm supposed to meet a group of friends for our annual Dragon*Con lunch.

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 31, 2010, 12:18:44 AM »
I'd sort of hard for me to say what I'm interested in - I like a lot of things, but I'm not sure if I like them enough to see events on them.  I like Star Wars, Star Trek, Eureka, BSG, Buffy, Angel, and a lot of sci-fi/fantasy authors. I'm not into "hard" science... I'm fairly interested in the writing track. I haven't written anything for 10 years or so, but am curious, I guess, and thinking about trying to write again - would like to learn more about it, at least.

I guess I'm mostly interested in humorous panels or events, regardless of topic, with a slant towards writing/author panels.
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 31, 2010, 12:21:19 AM »
Masquerade is awesome, but we usually watch it on video at the Marriot Marquis instead of Centennial I-II-III because it's just so damn crowded and if you manage to get into Centennial, you'll probably be in the back of the room watching on the big screen anyway.

Will they have a public tv at the Marriot or elsewhere that anyone can watch on? I'm in an overflow hotel so no DragonCon tv.  :(

Offline DonC

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 31, 2010, 02:53:34 AM »
I'd sort of hard for me to say what I'm interested in - I like a lot of things, but I'm not sure if I like them enough to see events on them.  I like Star Wars, Star Trek, Eureka, BSG, Buffy, Angel, and a lot of sci-fi/fantasy authors. I'm not into "hard" science... I'm fairly interested in the writing track. I haven't written anything for 10 years or so, but am curious, I guess, and thinking about trying to write again - would like to learn more about it, at least.

I guess I'm mostly interested in humorous panels or events, regardless of topic, with a slant towards writing/author panels.

Check out the program. There are panels for all of those movies and shows just about every day. Most of them aren't real serious.

Any changes to the schedule should be posted online at the Daily Dragon website. They also print copies at the con and pass them out at the information booths. (There's one in each host hotel; be warned, they go fast.) Sometimes they're a little behind. For example, all the Buffy cast panels have been canceled due to James Marsters having to drop out today due to his new TV show starting production early.

http://dailydragon.dragoncon.org/2010/2010-programming-changes/

If you're really into writing, A.C. Crispin holds a writers workshop or two. But there is an extra charge for them. And it might be too late to sign up for them.

Will they have a public tv at the Marriot or elsewhere that anyone can watch on? I'm in an overflow hotel so no DragonCon tv.  :(

There's an overflow room with a large projection screen. It's usually in the Hyatt in rooms Regency VI-VII.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 03:05:46 AM by DonC »

Offline Mousekabob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 31, 2010, 06:29:57 AM »
Oh, if you are in any of the main hotels, do catch DragonCon TV, it's great.  That's one big thing I'm gonna miss about not having a hotel room this year.

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2010, 09:44:31 AM »
Wow, Mercedes Lackey will be there too. I thought she didn't do conventions, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Offline llwaynest

• Conversationalist
  • Major General Toot Toot Minimus
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2010, 03:19:46 PM »
Will they have a public tv at the Marriot or elsewhere that anyone can watch on? I'm in an overflow hotel so no DragonCon tv.  :(

Masquerade will be shown live on large screen in the Atrium Ballroom at the Marriott. I watched it there last year and the room wasn't even half full. I know there's a tv in the con suite(a little known room on the second floor of the Hyatt that provides free sodas and snacks throughout the con), but I don't know if they show DC*TV there. It seems likely they would have the tv on the DC*TV channel during the con.
"I would rather be drunk than eaten"
Master Ferus

Offline DonC

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2010, 09:10:41 PM »