Linked Events

• Jim at Dragon*Con: September 03, 2010 - September 06, 2010

Author Topic: Jim at Dragon*Con 2010  (Read 83330 times)

Offline Technobuilder

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Jim at Dragon*Con 2010
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2010, 03:45:04 AM »
Centennial I is a decent sized room and it's centrally located at the Hyatt. It's possible Jim may be a panelist in one of the other panels listed. The full schedule will give more info. Last year I saw Adam Savage in his own panel, which was packed, and on a skeptics panel, which wasn't even half full. Both were quite enjoyable. I love finding those hidden gems.

Supernatural CSI

Saturday night at 5:30pm

Hopefully there's another one as well.

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2010, 03:32:49 AM »
Wow, I was listening to JB's old interviews online, and he seems to get asked a lot of the same questions. That must be really boring for him, and anyone who's checked out his old interviews. (But that's cool he likes Bujold...she's one of my favorites too.) I'm trying to decide what to ask, that hasn't been asked a zillion times, but that he would be willing to answer. I'm thinking of asking if we will see any major Denarians give up their coins in future. (Really I want to know if Rosanna will give up her coin, but I'm sure he wouldn't answer that). I'd also like to know how Nikodemus met Tessa, but will probably ask the first question.  I'd ask if Malcolm was really Harry's biological father, but I think Jim would mock me and say that was way too Star Wars or some such. And I'm sure he wouldn't answer it, if the answer would have been no.

Are you guys thinking of any questions?

Hmm, the comic con interview seems a lot more interesting than the others...probably cause those were the rabid fans?

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:46:52 AM by Stiletto »
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline ThriceISay

• Conversationalist
  • "Finish that sentence, Raith, and we throw down."
    • View Profile
    • Tower of Turtles Productions
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2010, 06:56:10 PM »
Here is the link to the DF track schedule, you'll notice JB's scheduled interview is for Sunday morning:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=ts0u7PiHoZ2xC0II0DYvYYA#gid=0

We only went last year for the first time... Does anyone know if this is one of those events where you'd best start lining up at 8:00am?  Or will there be plenty of room?  (How big is the room?)
"It doesn't really translate into Martian." - Aftermath

Offline geminigrey

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2010, 07:03:04 PM »
We only went last year for the first time... Does anyone know if this is one of those events where you'd best start lining up at 8:00am?  Or will there be plenty of room?  (How big is the room?)

As I recall, Centennial I is one of the bigger rooms, probably won't fill up...probably being the key word..  I'd advice swinging by a couple of hours beforehand and seeing how things are going.  Generally speaking authors don't get quite the crowd that the actor guests do.

Offline Dannyboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2010, 03:37:51 PM »
My advice would be to go to the Hyatt ballroom level around 9am and see if there are folks lined up, if not... start the line yourself ;D.  Chances are that I'll be there, coffee in hand.

Danny

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2010, 10:01:39 PM »
My advice would be to go to the Hyatt ballroom level around 9am and see if there are folks lined up, if not... start the line yourself ;D.  Chances are that I'll be there, coffee in hand.

Danny

Sounds like a plan! My husband and I will be there, too.
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline llwaynest

• Conversationalist
  • Major General Toot Toot Minimus
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2010, 11:18:07 PM »
First panel on a Sunday morning will be pretty light. Centennial I is a good size. I'll probably swing by a bit early, but I don't expect it to fill up. Of course I could very well be WRONG. That's why I plan on swinging by a bit early.  ;D
"I would rather be drunk than eaten"
Master Ferus

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2010, 11:30:56 PM »
I wonder if we could convince Jim to go out for dinner...  ;D

Offline DonC

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2010, 11:56:44 PM »
Hi. My name's Don. I just joined to see if Jim signing schedule was posted here since D*Con still doesn't have the program online. No such luck. (Seriously, they need the Pocket Programs in five days. They must have their printer on stand-by.) But I did see the panel he's doing Sunday morning. That's cool, and fits in with my plans nicely. Anyway, I noticed people were wondering about Centennial I. It isn't the smallest room in the Hyatt, but it isn't the biggest, either. The concerts that use Centennial II-IV supposedly hold 3,000 people (with chairs in II and III), so I'd guess Centennial I can hold maybe 750 people with chairs? Just don't quote me on that. I've only been in that room once and that was at 2am looking for water. I don't know how popular Jim is going to be (honestly, I'm hoping not very; meeting Jim is high up on my to-do list but I don't want to wait two or three hours in line for his autograph if I don't have to ;D ), but that seems like plenty of room to me.

Here's a PDF of the Hyatt floor plan, if you want to check it out yourself.

http://www.atlantaregency.hyatt.com/hyatt/images/hotels/atlra/floorplan.pdf

Offline geminigrey

• Participant
    • View Profile

Offline DonC

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2010, 01:49:09 AM »
Please tell me Saturday at 1pm isn't his only signing. They couldn't have picked a worse time for me if they tried.

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2010, 10:49:03 AM »
Noticed some more panels Jim will be on:

nYt Bestsellers tell all
Here’s how to help boost your book to the NYT Bestsellers list. The panelists are all bestselling authors. S. Kenyon, K. Anderson, J. Butcher, L. Hamilton, N. Knight, J. Maberry, A. J. Hartley; Sun 1:00 pm; Cent. II-III [H]

Beyond Binaries 101
How does sf&fantasy explore beyond our existing gender roles? Who has created unique roles separate from gender? What would we like to see? J. Butcher, L. Martindale, D. Whiteside, T Wooldridge (M); Sat 10:00 pm; Hanover C-E [H]

« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 10:53:21 AM by Stiletto »

Offline Dannyboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2010, 11:57:30 AM »
Please tell me Saturday at 1pm isn't his only signing. They couldn't have picked a worse time for me if they tried.

We'll have to see if he's going to be in the exhibitor's hall signing at a booth, maybe for the comics?  That would be the other option for signings at Dcon.

Danny

Offline Mousekabob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2010, 01:57:10 PM »
There should be a signing schedule in the back of the program.  Haven't had a chance to look it over yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcodIkFuucw&feature=player_embedded

I still can't believe they're doing a furry party this year.  Notice they didn't ever bring this up at volunteer meetings:)

OMG, and the Bards are having a reunion concert!!!!!!

Sing with me now...
"One bottle of beer, one shot of scotch, one bottle of wine and a bourbon on the rocks.  One lassie one me right, another on the left, then I looked that muppet in the eye and said "Give me the test".....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcodIkFuucw&feature=player_embedded
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 02:01:33 PM by Mousekabob »

Offline DonC

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 29, 2010, 04:02:34 PM »
We'll have to see if he's going to be in the exhibitor's hall signing at a booth, maybe for the comics?  That would be the other option for signings at Dcon.

Danny

I'd love to see something like that, but I don't think organized signings in the exhibit hall are allowed. The convention don't want lines forming all over the place, especially in places where they might impede the flow of foot traffic. There just isn't enough room and the Atlanta fire marshals are very zealous in their duties. (Read: They hate working 24/7 Labor Day weekend and act like douches the entire weekend.) In fact, if I recall correctly, Sherrilyn Kenyon has had a booth in the past where you could buy her books. But there was a sign there saying she couldn't come by and sign them.

Edit: I stand corrected. Exhibitor signings are allowed. A book dealer usually has several signings. However, Jim isn't going to be one of them.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 12:06:33 AM by DonC »